Modern Eagle wiring, but more affordable/attainable versions

henryjurstin13

So, I'm pretty intrigued by HSH setups & it seems that since the days of pointy guitars - there aren't nearly as many HSH guitars. I've currently got a SE Swamp Ash Special on the way, but I'm curious as to how many people have tried (or would like to try) to emulate the Eagle HSHS options on a more affordable scale. I've got an older McCarty that I probably shouldn't route for a middle pickup, 5 way, and mini toggles.... but, I get curious about these amazing instruments (and I'll never have the disposable cash for Eagle pricing).

Eagle Wiring Image

I've seen the ToneGeek's version of the super eagle built on his CE24 & that really makes me curious. How many people have added a middle pickup & found success (was worth the investment)? Would you do it again? What'd you learn?

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJwcnNpbWFnZXMiLCJrZXkiOiJndWl0YXItaW1hZ2VzL21vZGVybi1lYWdsZS12LWNvbnRyb2xzLWRpYWdyYW0tMjAyMy5qcGciLCJlZGl0cyI6eyJqcGVnIjp7InF1YWxpdHkiOjgyLCJwcm9ncmVzc2l2ZSI6dHJ1ZSwidHJlbGxpc1F1YW50aXNhdGlvbiI6dHJ1ZSwib3ZlcnNob290RGVyaW5naW5nIjp0cnVlLCJvcHRpbWl6ZVNjYW5zIjp0cnVlfSwicmVzaXplIjp7IndpZHRoIjoxMjAwLCJoZWlnaHQiOjI5NzEsImZpdCI6ImNvdmVyIn0sInNoYXJwZW4iOnRydWV9fQ==

I've never played a modern eagle, but this switching chart confuses me...
I hope the SAS en route will scratch at least most of this itch for you! (I love mine)

I have a Modern Eagle V, a Paul’s Guitar, a Brent Mason Signature, and a Strat with Swamp Ash Special pickups in it (McCarty/Vintage Rails/McCarty). They are all in the same ballpark of each other, but each has its own thing happening as well. I had never played any of these PRS guitars before purchasing them due to the lack of local availability. The MEV does it best, but I can’t say any of them are lacking. I enjoy playing the Brent Mason best as far as feel goes, but the middle single coil and 2/4 positions don’t sound as good as on the MEV. The neck pickup on the three PRS guitars are pretty consistent across the board. The Paul’s Guitar has more low end on the bridge pickup. I too considered routing a HH guitar before getting the MEV. Comparing the Strat with the older SAS pickups to the current PRS products, I don’t think it sounds anywhere close to as good. But it does sound good. On the three PRS guitars, I typically play them in single coil mode and switch to humbucker mode to thicken things up or to get a little more out of them. With the Strat SAS, it is almost always In humbucker mode. If it matters, I am a clean/low gain player.

I have a Modern Eagle V, a Paul’s Guitar, a Brent Mason Signature, and a Strat with Swamp Ash Special pickups in it (McCarty/Vintage Rails/McCarty). They are all in the same ballpark of each other, but each has its own thing happening as well. I had never played any of these PRS guitars before purchasing them due to the lack of local availability. The MEV does it best, but I can’t say any of them are lacking. I enjoy playing the Brent Mason best as far as feel goes, but the middle single coil and 2/4 positions don’t sound as good as on the MEV. The neck pickup on the three PRS guitars are pretty consistent across the board. The Paul’s Guitar has more low end on the bridge pickup. I too considered routing a HH guitar before getting the MEV. Comparing the Strat with the older SAS pickups to the current PRS products, I don’t think it sounds anywhere close to as good. But it does sound good. On the three PRS guitars, I typically play them in single coil mode and switch to humbucker mode to thicken things up or to get a little more out of them. With the Strat SAS, it is almost always In humbucker mode. If it matters, I am a clean/low gain player.
Nice and helpful... which one gives the best 2/4 positions - the MEV?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_UzZdmeIEC5WcujFOZlHEbrub1pIZ114/view?usp=sharing
I am king of the $500-700 guitar and recently bought a 2023 ME V in May(??!!!??). I have been playing over 50 years and continue to learn. The ME V is a "Super-Strat" type guitar, but very high-end. Easy to play, think and apply your ideas in the moment. GREAT sound options. Treat your amps like you are playing a strat, and it is magic.

I can get almost all of those options with a freeway 6 way and a push pull on my core SAS. It's a true swiss army guitar.

Back