Minimum advertised price

Rapdog

i have been looking for a new hollowbody or custom 22 semi hollow and have come across the minimum allowed advertised prices. What has been your experience percentagewize that you can haggle down? I don't want to waste efforts and understand these pieces help spur the economy but want the most bang for my buck. Any thought? Thanks in advance.

If this thread is off-putting please let me know or pm your thoughts to keep it off the map.

Edit: I removed all of the prices from my post so you can probably just ignore it

If you are willing to go to '95-2000 you can maybe dip into somethingish. But you have to be very patient. Prices won't come around like that often. Honestly semi-hollows seem relatively rare. I doubt you'd see below somethingk very often. If you go diving on Craigslist you may have some luck.

I saw a very affordable hollowbody II on Craigslist in Louisville recently but I don't like buying on CL. Too scared of buying something stolen.

Last edited:
From the forum rules:

"The PRS Forum is an information and communication site only. Please do not post items for sale or discuss retail or wholesale pricing of any kind."

Just FYI...

I saw a very affordable hollowbody II on Craigslist in Louisville recently but I don't like buying on CL. Too scared of buying something stolen.

If you talk to the guy on the phone first you can almost always know going into a meet up whether he really owns the guitar or not. When I get excuses like "my father owned it and we are selling his estate" I start to get really cautious. When the guy knows what strings are on it or how it cuts through the mix, you pretty much know the guy is legit.

From the forum rules:

"The PRS Forum is an information and communication site only. Please do not post items for sale or discuss retail or wholesale pricing of any kind."

Just FYI...

Oh really? I thought it was just new stuff..

Lesson learned

Oh really? I thought it was just new stuff..

Lesson learned
Well, it is a balance. The focus is on avoiding discussion of PRS products still in production or recently available, both used and new pricing. Discussing stuff that is out of production is given a bit of leeway.

For example, a couple years ago discussion of the street pricing of (used) CEs was tolerated, because they were no longer in production and even NOS had long since gone away. Now, not so much. But I bet we could talk about street pricing of JA15s all day long and no-one would blink an eye.

I would say the best thing to do is look around on other sites - there are plenty of places that discuss street pricing or at least indicate which way things lean. And a quick comparison of the used market also helps - if you think you can get 50% off MAP for an item that is selling used at 75% MAP, well, you are probably not going to be successful.

Find comparable pieces that move you then ask the retailers for today's sale prices. Most of them will have aautomated mechanisms right on their websites. Some responses will surprise you while others will not. You can get a list of PRS dealers from the PRS site.

Somewhere between the MAP and what the dealer paid for the piece is the price for which they'll sell it. Perhaps a follow-up thread would be a poll of "would you ever pay MAP for a guitar?" :D

Buy all the things!

Back