J MOD ??? still available?

It is not in the catalog. Not on the web page under amps. But, if you click on "products" it opens a window that allows you to choose all the product categories. When you click on amps, you see the current available models as well as the Archon and J MOD. This is likely an error that needs correcting, or maybe, just maybe it is wishful hopeful thinking on my part. I have been saving for a J MOD and still have a ways to go. All said, does anyone know for sure it has been dropped. :(

At the price, I can’t imagine it was a hot seller beyond its initial release, and other really great PRS amp designs suffered a similar fate for the same reason. Once the pandemic-induced price spike relaxes, used market prices should come back to reality. Most I have seen for sale were pristine, so my bet is that you’ll still be able to score an “as new” J-Mod when your savings allow.

It is not in the catalog. Not on the web page under amps. But, if you click on "products" it opens a window that allows you to choose all the product categories. When you click on amps, you see the current available models as well as the Archon and J MOD. This is likely an error that needs correcting, or maybe, just maybe it is wishful hopeful thinking on my part. I have been saving for a J MOD and still have a ways to go. All said, does anyone know for sure it has been dropped. :(

I've been hoping to get one at some point myself but I keep getting distracted by other gear, and have to start over constantly!

Nonetheless, the DG amp is still available. I don't know if you've tried one, but if you haven't, it's a wonderful amp (in a different style, of course, but still worth owning).

Last edited:
At the price, I can’t imagine it was a hot seller beyond its initial release, and other really great PRS amp designs suffered a similar fate for the same reason. Once the pandemic-induced price spike relaxes, used market prices should come back to reality. Most I have seen for sale were pristine, so my bet is that you’ll still be able to score an “as new” J-Mod when your savings allow.

I do like getting a new amp when possible, for the warranty and, I confess, that 'wow, untouched by human hands except at the factory' moment. I know. It's silly. Except for the part about the warranty. That part's not silly.

Last edited:
I do like getting a new amp when possible, for the warranty and, I confess, that 'wow, untouched by human hands except at the factory' moment. I know. It's silly. Except for the part about the warranty. That part's not silly.
I’ve bought a few new ones over the years, and it’s a good feeling. Also, it’s nice to not have to wonder what the previous owner may have done to it. I had to laugh when, looking at the more than dozen amps and cabs sitting around me, only one amp was bought new... and it’s a bass amp! Fact really is stranger than fiction sometimes.

I’ve bought a few new ones over the years, and it’s a good feeling. Also, it’s nice to not have to wonder what the previous owner may have done to it. I had to laugh when, looking at the more than dozen amps and cabs sitting around me, only one amp was bought new... and it’s a bass amp! Fact really is stranger than fiction sometimes.

Well, it's of course smarter in some ways to buy used.

But there are times I need a fast turnaround on a warranty repair for a project. PRS is great with that. Having a dealer like Jack Gretz also expedites the process. No private Reverb or eBay seller I know of is going to be able to take care of me as quickly. That's important in my line of work. Projects go really fast!

I also feel more comfortable with a factory service on a $3800 amp than a private amp tech, even though of course there are some very good ones. It's awfully hard to find someone, though.

Well, it's of course smarter in some ways to buy used.

But there are times I need a fast turnaround on a warranty repair for a project. PRS is great with that. Having a dealer like Jack Gretz also expedites the process. No private Reverb or eBay seller I know of is going to be able to take care of me as quickly. That's important in my line of work. Projects go really fast!

I also feel more comfortable with a factory service on a $3800 amp than a private amp tech, even though of course there are some very good ones. It's awfully hard to find someone, though.
All good points, and very true for amps in professional, time-limited work. You should actually buy two of everything. You know, for insurance. :)

You should actually buy two of everything. You know, for insurance. :)

My problem is that every time I think about buying a backup, other studio needs crop up and grab my attention! Over the past year I've invested pretty heavily in some wonderful orchestral libraries, which is really getting in the way of my throwing money at guitar tone...

I spoke to PRS about the JMOD in November (whilst it was still on the website but marked as no longer available at every retailer in the country) and they said that it was special order only and a 4+ month wait time.

Luckily, I got in my order for a second JMOD 2x12, which is a truly brilliant cab.

Doesn't surprise me if it is discontinued, it sold horribly. Andertons had one for 2 years, and had to drop it to less than a half of RRP before it sold. Stores in the UK were offering a free Silver Sky when you bought a JMOD too.

Back