It's growing... slowly.

Well, in all fairness, the right amount of guitars is always N + 1 :cool:

But if something is really off when you buy a new PRS, you should take it back to the dealer for evaluation.
I know that a lot of dealers praise the quality of PRS guitars being delivered to them.
I couldn't. It was a reverb buy and reverb doesn't protect third party buys, it works like Amazon. And I live in Michigan while the seller lives in New Mexico. I had long convos with the seller who happened to be the owner of the store.. the issues weren't really visible at the time, so they were more noticed over time. But if you know me, you'd know I'm OCD so stuff like the hair line crack and such obviously weren't from me. As far as Fret work and set up, I don't really care about it, I can just take it to get it done.

I already got the Santana SE where it needs to be along with a set of very rare pickups, it sounds amazing. The bad experience wasn't with PRS, it was more of the seller. I ended up giving them a one star on Google reviews stating that they are very friendly but that I wouldn't buy from them online. Maybe in-person I would. It's possible that the owner doesn't know about certain things going on in the shop, when I asked him why was the first fret dead, he said that it shouldn't be like that, that he had someone give it a set up. He said I should let it acclimate, he already knew it had acclimated so I was confused.

When I took it to my small local guitar shop, which has PRS and Fender trained techs, they said the Santana SE either didn't have a set up at all or that someone performed a very poor set up. Multiple people said there was no way that it got a professional set up.

Anyways, there's really nothing more to say, I guess. I have two amazing guitars :D No use on dwelling on the past

Not sure what you're meaning, I'm not trying to bash the brand. Just stating what has been known to be the common by many. Or at least that is what I have seen being said. Not saying you're wrong.
And, I'm just saying that the things you keep saying are common are not common to many (anyone else?) here who are much more familiar with the brand. I'm well aware that in the internet age, it's easy to google a problem you have and find every single one of the 7 other people that had this issue out of one million items sold, and since you have the issue, you can now assume it's "common" because you found others who have it.

I also know that in YEARS of following the PRS brand on this and the big boy (TGP, where in fact there are probably more PRS bashers than lovers) and fret sprout is something I haven't heard 3 times in 20 years.

I also know that the Squire line has had some very good guitars for the money, but none I've played was in the league of most of the SE's I've played, and more specifically, you're the first person I've read say that they were. And say it over and over. Even with the price increases, most people still seem to think the SE's are "best in price range" or at least "as good as anything else in price range" and I have not yet seen anyone continually compare them to guitars costing 1/3 or less the price and say they are the same quality.

The other "issues" you list are dealer issues, not manufacturer. If your guitar arrived with dings and scratches that has NOTHING to do with PRS and everything to do with the dealer, so again I'm not sure why you keep associating them with the brand. If it arrived with fret sprout and or unlevel frets, then that IS a PRS issue, and again, one we very rarely hear about. So, it doesn't mean you are wrong, but it certainly isn't "common" as you keep saying.

And, I'm just saying that the things you keep saying are common are not common to many (anyone else?) here who are much more familiar with the brand. I'm well aware that in the internet age, it's easy to google a problem you have and find every single one of the 7 other people that had this issue out of one million items sold, and since you have the issue, you can now assume it's "common" because you found others who have it.
Ehhhh...
There aren't many people steadily active here really, besides the same handful of users who get on daily. And it's an "official" PRS forum, so it's a bit biased with or without nature and reason. I claimed what's common as a general consumer consensus and not what's on this forum. The votes of the forum don't matter much when it's a PRS official forum, if ya know what I mean. So when I say common, I mean outside the bubble of the forum which extends to youtubers, musicians, recording artists, etc but who don't have any ties or oath to PRS.

If quality control wasn't an issue like the outside world (beyond the forum claims) then we wouldn't have so many threads from new members stating things that were wrong with their new SE guitars. The common replies have been "Take them back to the dealer" instead of addressing the underlying issues - no offense to PRS. I've worked in factories before as mentioned a bit ago to Lazlo, so I know how hard it is to keep quality under control. If it's hard to in America, then it's much harder in other countries.

It's already been discussed and confirmed in multiple areas including on this forum:

Of course there's alot more.. So the SE QX issues kinda reminds me of Ibanez Indonesia issues actually.
I also know that in YEARS of following the PRS brand on this and the big boy (TGP, where in fact there are probably more PRS bashers than lovers) and fret sprout is something I haven't heard 3 times in 20 years.
I don't think that's the case here though. I don't see any hate in comparing the Silver Sky SE to a good Squier.. The Silver Sky SE and Squier Strats are both made of Poplar wood making them both consistent and light in weight. The maple neck on the SS SE feels and looks very similar to those on a Squier Strat with Maple neck as well, so I can definitely see how it would be fair to compare what's there, and declare that the pair would dare to share a likeness without a care. Definitely much closer to a Squier than a Fender than people think. Maybe a Super Squier, going the opposite way of what Fender would do with a Stratocaster. Alternate reality? Paranormal reality? Touché
I also know that the Squire line has had some very good guitars for the money, but none I've played was in the league of most of the SE's I've played, and more specifically, you're the first person I've read say that they were. And say it over and over. Even with the price increases, most people still seem to think the SE's are "best in price range" or at least "as good as anything else in price range" and I have not yet seen anyone continually compare them to guitars costing 1/3 or less the price and say they are the same quality.
You keep saying that you have extensive experience with PRS, but it seems you may not have much experience with Squiers or direct comparison with PRS SE and Squier.

Had we been talking about Squiers that were 15-30 years ago, what you are implying would have been true. 80's and 90's Squier were terrible. I know because that was my starting point but Squiers now are much much better. Modern Squiers from this generation such as the 60's Classic Vibe, Squier Sonic (which have replaced the Bullet, and are much better than the Bullet), and the 40th anniversary models are equal to the lower belt Mexican Fenders at maybe half or 2/3rds the price. And that's where I'd put the PRS SE Silver Sky which I have already spent 16 hours playing through different amps and with and without different effects, testing to see how it wants to reacts.. Not sure why we are debating that, I mean, it's my personal experience but it looks like I'm not the only one who thinks this. That said where the difference lies in is that the Silver Sky SE is unique and there's no reason for upgrade or mods.

Are there tons of people out there who compare the Silver Sky SE to a medium/high grade Squier? Yes, tons. I am not the only one, it's actually pretty common. I'll show you why...

Tons of experienced players on forums who put Squier and PRS SE in the same bracket or ballpark. It's nothing new.

They've been compared on this forum before, so maybe you've never seen or heard it but it has been here..

Tons of comparison videos, here's just a couple...

I'll likely make my own video comparison soon enough. Without saying what I think is or isn't better about each model. It's easy to order that some people prefer a Squier over a Made in Mexico Fender, and a Made in Mexico Fender over an American one. Just as some people prefer an SE over a Core or S2. It's not a money thing but more of just preference. I love my Squier Sonic.
The other "issues" you list are dealer issues, not manufacturer. If your guitar arrived with dings and scratches that has NOTHING to do with PRS and everything to do with the dealer, so again I'm not sure why you keep associating them with the brand. If it arrived with fret sprout and or unlevel frets, then that IS a PRS issue, and again, one we very rarely hear about. So, it doesn't mean you are wrong, but it certainly isn't "common" as you keep saying.
You just basically repeated what I already said... Of course I blame the dealer for the Santana SE being sold as new, but the Silver Sky SE, I know is new and fully representive of the quality that the factory manufactures. That's a no-brainer, seems like you're feeling the need to defend something that needs no defense. My comparison to Squier was a compliment, not an insult and pointing out the flaws wasn't something to nag about, I was just being honest about what needs work and what doesn't. I'm enjoying the guitar, so why does all of it matter? I'll be working on it soon enough and will enjoy it even more! :)

Last edited:
Back