Is the old Faux Binding out of fashion?

I love the scraped binding - looks great, and unique. Although not a deal breaker to me if a guitar doesn’t have it. My 594 has it, which I like, kind of similar finish to Les’ DGT above.

I was very skeptical when PRS started going to neck binding, but I have to admit, they’re doing a great job with it on the Maryland models, haven’t paid much attention on the SE’s. It’s one of those trimmings that can either be really good, or really bad.

Here's my black cherry HB1 from 2008 in 10 top, scraped binding and a red transparent back.

IMG_1831.jpg

IMG_1835.jpg

Last edited:
My McCarty's are both wraps; the 2007 is in Antique Violin and my 594 HB is in purple/blue burst... All the other PRSs that I have with maple tops have the scrape binding and natural or backs finished like the top, except my '97 CE22 which has a black back, and my 2009 SC245 Goldtop which has a natural back and scrape binding with the opaque finish... I don't really have a preference; they're all beautiful! And I can't say I've felt like I've been seeing an inordinate number of one type or the other of late...

Reactions: Jo-
I love the faux binding, it connects the top with the shape of the guitar through the grain. It is one of the beautiful things that makes a guitar a PRS for me.

All of my maple capped guitars have them and I actually would not own a wrapped burst. Dont like them

Black Cherry came with a black back.

Gray Black (the predecessor to Charcoal) also historically came with a black back.

You may be thinking of Scarlet Red which had a red back, but no faux binding IIRC.

Here's my black cherry HB1 from 2008 in 10 top, scraped binding and a red transparent back.

IMG_1831.jpg

IMG_1835.jpg

Hot.

Hollowbodies seem to have their own color schemes.

One of the few PRS guitars that I let go was a Black Cherry 96 Cu22 that had a black painted back.

I would say I disagree, I don't think "most" came with a black back, only a few colours. The only core guitars I knew that came with black backs was the CE models, and whale blue also had a black back. Most of the other guitars I owned in that era (early 2000's) did not have black backs. Blue Matteo had natural back, teal black had a green back, black cherry had a red back, the vintage/sunbursts had red backs. These were not Artist models, they were 10 and non 10's. And all those coloured backs were not opaque, you can see the grain through them. I like to see the grain.

Black Cherry came with a black back.

Gray Black (the predecessor to Charcoal) also historically came with a black back.

You may be thinking of Scarlet Red which had a red back, but no faux binding IIRC.

Emerald Green also had a black back.

I have an Emerald Green SC Trem. Mine has the artist package so it has a green back. That is the reason I bought it. I am not a real fan of black back guitars. My Wale Blue CU24 has the black back.
Yeah, my Jade guitar has a green back, it’s cool and all but I might like it even better with some more contrast.

My favorite look of all time is the white back with a fancy top look.

I also love the opaque top with natural everything else look.

Yeah, my Jade guitar has a green back, it’s cool and all but I might like it even better with some more contrast.

My favorite look of all time is the white back with a fancy top look.

I also love the opaque top with natural everything else look.
My 594 is a Royal Blue Metallic top with the rest of the guitar being natural. I fell for that one the first time I saw a picture of it. I was really hoping someone else liked it as much as me and would buy it so I could stop being tempted. Well, after it was on the market for a little over a month, I couldn't resist and pulled the trigger on it. I can tell there is some good flame in the top by the scraped binding on it. It has some rally wide flame. I suppose it could be quilted. There is a lot of figuring in the binding and parts of it are really wide.

I'm a fan of black backs and natural. White is my favorite change up. The color coordinated back is cool, but I wouldn't want every guitar with it.

Neck binding really isn't for me and one of the reasons I went SC58 over 594. I also far prefer natural body binding over plastic. Its one of the many factors that drew me to PRS. I'd take the color wrap over plastic binding too. Plastic on a guitar isn't for me.

I don’t think it’s dated at all. Anderson does lots of them and they are quite popular.

All my PRS guitars have Faux Binding and I have a couple - inc the one in my Avatar with Double Faux Binding as they are Hollowbodies.

I have seen a fair few Fire Red Burst 'wraps' but I much prefer the Faux binding. To me, a PRS has to have both Faux Binding and Birds... LOL

Back