In praise of Guitar Center's used-guitar photographs

Going Modal

I should be practicing right now.
Oh, but I kid... I kid.

Let's hear it for the retail store the with possibly (at least, at one time) the greatest access too--and holding the largest number of--used high-end guitars, and their absolutely abysmal photographic attention towards reselling those guitars. Like, holy s#!t man... we're talking late-'90s eBay-quality photos here. And NO useful details of condition and/or included accessories.

It's almost like they have no business interest in actually being a leading seller of good used equipment.

However, this has led to some sweet finds if the description is good.
And even when the description is as minimal as the pic there can be buried gold waiting to be uncovered with some digging. Sometimes even they aren't aware of what they have. Like this SE245 Soapbar that was in nearly new condition, with a luxurious sanded 1 piece neck and an upgraded SD Stacked bridge P90 for <$600.

In total, I got 4 SE245s thru GC this year, 3 online. In all cases I called the store and got good intel about the condition and serial #. The best thing is that they'll ship it to you, you get the 45 day eval period when can take it back no questions asked and you only have to pay the $25 shipping fee which I did for one returned SE245.

Last edited:
Usually the decription is "this guitar comes with a gig bag". :rolleyes:

But seriously, I have found that if you call the store for an in hand description, you can get a good idea about the guitar. And remember their used guitar return policy, it's very buyer friendly.

Oh, but I kid... I kid.

Let's hear it for the retail store the with possibly (at least, at one time) the greatest access too--and holding the largest number of--used high-end guitars, and their absolutely abysmal photographic attention towards reselling those guitars. Like, holy s#!t man... we're talking late-'90s eBay-quality photos here. And NO useful details of condition and/or included accessories.

It's almost like they have no business interest in actually being a leading seller of good used equipment.
Good Leadership - Management - Training Is Hard To Come By. It All Comes Down To That.

They had a couple CEs come in that they marked like 700 dollars. Unfortunately the Manager figured it out and added a grand to the price tag.

Still, I give GC credit over Sam Ash. Went there this weekend to see if there was anything good on the floor. Thought I had walked into a Greyhound Bus Station. It looked depleted, and not due to holiday shopping. Was sad to experience.

Back