I Think I’m At The Point Where...

Aside from the odd jam and an open mic here and there, I haven't played actively in Hawaii ever.

I really came here with the intention of being as active as I was in Texas, never realizing the closed society that is musicians here. You have to be lucky enough to befriend one and kinda like AA, he sponsors you to be included in the fraternity. I've had that, but the gentleman moved for love and it kind of dried up pretty fast.

That, and these guys work for money, sometimes their only income, and I don't and won't let it be a job again, and I frankly won't waste their time with "I don't feel like it tonight" when "tonight" is 6 nights a week..I've rubbed up against and played with some Hawaiian slack key royalty, but it was a chance encounter intended as a workshop, and only I attended with another guy, so we played in the lobby of the hotel. The Artist got recognized immediately, but we were just furniture, grateful furniture, but furniture just the same.

In Texas, it was either bands for over 30 yrs., or as luck would have it, being mentored by an across the street neighbor that was an unworldly guitarist and vocalist who didn't mind an all night Saturday jam between us and some libations... It was a celestial chance in a million that we met as musicians, I learned so much from him that he probably still doesn't realize I robbed him blind all those years. But as to the now, I am perfectly content to be at home, amp glowing and playing exactly what I want, and learning as I please. It is what it is and probably will remain, and I'm fine with that.

So a few years ago we put together a band that addressed most of the stuff posted here because we had all been through it: the singers who wanted to open at Wembley within 6 months and got cross at our 'lack of commitment', the guitarists who couldn't be anything less than the loudest person on stage ALL the time, the drummer who didn't know where the one was and so on. We made it clear in our audition ads that we were the least ambitious group ever, we loved just playing stuff so don't turn up if you want to be star or you don't understand the phrase 'family commitments'. Net result is we are still together, we just played two festivals back to back and were happy camping out for the three days together and we turned in a couple of stellar performances that made us all so proud we are still grinning like idiots.

And at least 5 of us (there are now 11 in this band) are fully paid up introverts. It's the friendship that makes the music possible. Wish I'd known that years ago but getting older has its advantages!

big band, tell me more. i don’t even have eleven friends.

I didn't either, we just keep adding people who fit in. Turns out there are quite a few people around here who have an ordinary life and just want to play music for the fun of it. We have a bateria of 6 drummer / percussionists at the heart of the rhythm section, 2 guitarists, a bassist, a saxophonist and a singer. And we swap around a bit as well (although no one else can get a note out of the sax!)

I didn't either, we just keep adding people who fit in. Turns out there are quite a few people around here who have an ordinary life and just want to play music for the fun of it. We have a bateria of 6 drummer / percussionists at the heart of the rhythm section, 2 guitarists, a bassist, a saxophonist and a singer. And we swap around a bit as well (although no one else can get a note out of the sax!)

I have something in the pipeline, not as grandiose as your gathering, but two of the guys, drum/guitar/vocal, so that gives us some latitude, as well as three other voices (one lady, well my wife! I have to call her a lady, well you know because I’m a gentleman:D) guitar, trumpet and bass. And if it works out, some keys as well!

I have something in the pipeline, not as grandiose as your gathering, but two of the guys, drum/guitar/vocal, so that gives us some latitude, as well as three other voices (one lady, well my wife! I have to call her a lady, well you know because I’m a gentleman:D) guitar, trumpet and bass. And if it works out, some keys as well!

We started out with 6. Just so as you are warned :)

When do you hope to have a first rehearsal?

this here is how the doobie brothers got big enough to need a plane.

So a few years ago we put together a band that addressed most of the stuff posted here because we had all been through it: the singers who wanted to open at Wembley within 6 months and got cross at our 'lack of commitment', the guitarists who couldn't be anything less than the loudest person on stage ALL the time, the drummer who didn't know where the one was and so on. We made it clear in our audition ads that we were the least ambitious group ever, we loved just playing stuff so don't turn up if you want to be star or you don't understand the phrase 'family commitments'. Net result is we are still together, we just played two festivals back to back and were happy camping out for the three days together and we turned in a couple of stellar performances that made us all so proud we are still grinning like idiots.

And at least 5 of us (there are now 11 in this band) are fully paid up introverts. It's the friendship that makes the music possible. Wish I'd known that years ago but getting older has its advantages!

So, you're the Committments?

I needed one for my last world tour.

“What world tour, Les?”

“You know, the last one.”

“There never was one.”

“There was a YUGE world tour. Millions of people saw it.”

“That’s not true! You’re just making that up.”

Hey! Truth isn’t truth.”

Good one, Rudy!

topical! simone biles! manafort! wildfire haze!

I needed one for my last world tour.

“What world tour, Les?”

“You know, the last one.”

“There never was one.”

“There was a YUGE world tour. Millions of people saw it.”

“That’s not true! You’re just making that up.”

Hey! Truth isn’t truth.”

Back