I Think I’m At The Point Where...

sergiodeblanc

... I enjoy guitars more than being in a band.

The sweaty dudes, bass players, tracking drums, band photos, social media likes, artwork, smoke breaks, dinner breaks, hauling gear, planning, unrealistic expectations, grandiose dreams... I mean, it’s not them (the band), it’s me, I’ve been doing it too long, and I’m too cynical. I just can’t get pumped up for the big letdown anymore.

Is it okay if I just enjoy playing guitar by myself? Can I just be geeked about buying a guitar just for the sake of it, without having to do anything productive with it?

I still love playing in a band. It's something my wife and I get to do together every week away from our kids. The drummer and I have become really good friends too. I don't have many friends any more other than my kids' friends parents who I hang out with at barbeques or pool parties, but would otherwise never contact.

That said, the last several gigs we've played, nobody we know has bothered to make it out. We tell people the show starts at 9 and they're all older (like us) and groan about being out all night. Our lives are incredibly regimented and pre-scheduled in order to be able to fit everything in that needs to happen between kids and jobs and trying to stay healthy and and and. When we have a gig we have to rearrange a 48 to 72 hour period just to be able to fit it in. Not to mention, it takes 2 to 3 weeks of "band time" just to play a gig, rehearsing once per week and running through the set takes up half of our practice time, sometimes more, and we don't practice on gig weekends.

Before kids it was easy. We were younger, our bodies didn't punish us for 3 days straight for staying up until 2 AM one night. We had lots of friends who also loved live music and we'd go to each others' shows.

So, yeah, thinking about quitting gigging. But I can't help but wonder, if you have a band that never gigs and only writes, records, and puts out music, it is really a band? Does a band need to gig to be a band? It seems like otherwise, once a song is written and recorded, it ceases to exist because why would you ever play it again? And who would ever put in the effort to listen to the recorded version? They'd rather fire up the I, IV, VIm, V chord pop tune of the moment.

I'm so "way past that point" it isn't funny:oops:

What I DID find out in the long run is that you can geek out and just become a guitar introvert (which I am to some degree:rolleyes:) but you can also be very productive too, by composing, recording on your own, or just taking the time to really develop your own deeply unique voice on the instrument. I've been working with one vocalist and that's been slightly rewarding except it takes away from my sittingaroundnoodling nonproductive time.:p

Being one of the old farts around here with physical limitations I've had to come to grips with it a while ago. Lugging gear and bad disks don't go together:confused:.

I still love playing in a band. It's something my wife and I get to do together every week away from our kids. The drummer and I have become really good friends too. I don't have many friends any more other than my kids' friends parents who I hang out with at barbeques or pool parties, but would otherwise never contact.

That said, the last several gigs we've played, nobody we know has bothered to make it out. We tell people the show starts at 9 and they're all older (like us) and groan about being out all night. Our lives are incredibly regimented and pre-scheduled in order to be able to fit everything in that needs to happen between kids and jobs and trying to stay healthy and and and. When we have a gig we have to rearrange a 48 to 72 hour period just to be able to fit it in. Not to mention, it takes 2 to 3 weeks of "band time" just to play a gig, rehearsing once per week and running through the set takes up half of our practice time, sometimes more, and we don't practice on gig weekends.

Before kids it was easy. We were younger, our bodies didn't punish us for 3 days straight for staying up until 2 AM one night. We had lots of friends who also loved live music and we'd go to each others' shows.

So, yeah, thinking about quitting gigging. But I can't help but wonder, if you have a band that never gigs and only writes, records, and puts out music, it is really a band? Does a band need to gig to be a band? It seems like otherwise, once a song is written and recorded, it ceases to exist because why would you ever play it again? And who would ever put in the effort to listen to the recorded version? They'd rather fire up the I, IV, VIm, V chord pop tune of the moment.

So many similar feelings...

I don’t mind practice or even the occasional gig, I really need the playing loud aspect and enjoy playing with people, it’s just all the other stuff that goes along with it. Maybe I’m ready for open mic/jam nights? I always kinda frowned upon that sort of thing, but perhaps I’m beginning to understand the allure?

I’m also day (night, really) four into tracking drums for an EP that will go largely unnoticed by the world, so I’m kinda wondering why I made the time to do it besides, you know, the obligation.

I have gone the opposite direction. A collector most of my life and now in a band in my mid 50's. Played out for the first time at 56!!!

I now find myself limiting my collection more, focusing on "what is a useful tool?".

I still have 5 core gtrs and 2 acoustics!!

That’s rad, Brian! Psyched to hear you’re following your bliss and challenging yourself.

I like guitars.
I like a lot of people who like guitars.
Close to 40 years ago driving a van to some hotel we would stay at and play 6 shows, I realized that while I loved performing for a crowd, I didn’t want to spend my life wandering from place to place, lugging heavy gear around and living out of a suitcase.
I’m happy to play with someone else, particularly if they like playing with ideas more than playing someone else’s song.

Last edited:
I haven’t played regularly in 15 years! Yes you’ve guessed it “children”!!

Now they’re of an age that Mrs Alnus and I can get back to gigging. I’m having a blast with pedals again.

Two guys who drum/guitar/vocal and can choose what they play on each song. I’m not entering into that debate. Both chilled dudes.

Mrs A has great pipes and I can mumble a tune.

Bass player who is young and motivated.

No grief to gig regularly.

Lots of choices as far as songs are concerned, but if I feel that Sergio can’t get up and dance to at least 50% of the set then we’ve got it wrong!

I’d love a keyboard player, so when I play trumpet, I don’t feel lonely!! Or a sax player, but they’re a bit rare here.

Who knows where we’re going, but hey it’s the journey :D

I totally get how you feel Sergio. I got like that in the early 2000’s. I took a rest and now I’m raring to go again!

Back