I got an interesting phone call the other day + NACD

Boogie

Zombie Two, DFZ
As I may have mentioned, my PRS amp has been back at the factory for some lovin' and attention. Some persistent problems with the reverb needed attention. Matt at customer service took great care of the situation and has been fantastic for all of my silly questions and technical mutterings. It was even more amazing when I got to speak directly with Doug Sewell about the Super Dallas and some of the existing 'secret' mods that it has. He personally inspected my amp deduced the situation and offered to fix it for me right there and then...15 minutes before the Grissom demo (for which he's also on stage). Of course I wouldn't let him, but the effort was exemplary.

On Monday, I got a mysterious call from a Maryland phone number. He introduced himself as Brandon and explained what was wrong with my amp, that it had been repaired, and would ship back to me today. He then said, "Paul is here to sign your amp and wants to know if you're happy with how it sounds or if you'd like some adjustments made." :eek: I said, "you point a finger sternly at him and tell him that I LOVE my amp and not to change a thing!" He responded,"I'll tell him you like it as it is." Perhaps he didn't want to poke his boss in the chest, indignantly. :biggrin:

I wanted to go on record to say that despite needing a little work at the factory, not only is the amp phenomenal, but the care PRS took - including Doug Sewell and PRSh - is way above and beyond the call of duty. Oh, and I'm not the original owner of the amp. Try getting that anywhere else.:top:

Today it arrived! B) And to answer your question, yes, they actually ship their amps upside down. Seems to put less stress on the tubes and other guts. The reverb is back to tip-top shape and works perfectly. Mission accomplished.

Both Doug and Paul signed it for me, as well. When I visited my baby at PRS during the Experience, Doug had already signed it. After the work was complete, they tracked down Paul and finished the job, just before calling me. That was pretty cool.

ampupdate2.jpg

This is also the debut of my NACD. The PRS covers are very high quality (go figure) nylon with high density padding. There's even a stretch velcro band on the bottom to keep it on. The embroidered signature is classy, too. And since I didn't have to pay for shipping, it was less than every other cover I've seen. The inside is soft microfiber stuff, almost like velvet.

ampupdate3.jpg

Then to top it off, I swapped the speaker out of my 1x12 cab back to the ET65. I'm amazed at how much top end is shaved off by this speaker. After spending so much time with Martysnarf's PRS 1x12 with the same speaker, I'm convinced that it's one of the best out there right now.

ampupdate1.jpg

It was a good day. :proud:

Last edited:
Fantastic news. Glad it worked out. Doug is truly a king. I want a PRS amp so bad.

I am walking through a mist and I see an old man at a very beautiful gate. "Where am I?" I ask.

"You are at the fabled Pearly Gates, my son," the man replied.

"Am I...you know...dead?" I ask.

"We don't actually call it that here," he said. "Because the people inside the gate enjoy eternal life."

"What is that fantastic music?" I inquire.

"Oh, that's Duane Allman and Jimi Hendrix having a jam. Why?"

"Because they sound amazing, is why. Such great players. Fantastic. And their tone...I mean, to...er...die for, I guess."

"Yes, my son. We have a special supplier for our amps here in heaven."

"Jim Marshall, no doubt, right?"

"Well, he's here, but not exactly. The Almighty prefers the tone of PRS amps. We have to buy them retail, of course, and then they are shipped here."

"Wait...wait. You're telling me that UPS ships amps to heaven?"

"Oh goodness no. Goodness no. You see we have our own, more heavenly system."

"What might that be?" I asked, truly curious.

"We call on the archangels to bring us the amps," he replied. "Gabriel is especially fond of procuring earthly instruments for our bands."

"Ah. I thought he was into horns. So...he visits the Factory in Maryland, and brings the stuff here to heaven. Who gets a PRS amp here?"

"Oh my. Anyone who wants one. This is, after all, heaven."

Awesome, glad to hear! Brandon is super cool and extremely talented and absolutely going to create some amazing things in the future in the amp department!

I looked on the PRS online store. Are the amp covers available for sale?

I looked on the PRS online store. Are the amp covers available for sale?
Good question. I do know that many of the new items in the swag tent were made available immediately on the online store. But I had to 'place an order' for the amp cover, which was filled 30 minutes later. An email to customer service might answer your question.

I just fired off an email. Thanks for the thread, I was about to butcher a Mesa combo cover to make a head cover for my Custom 50.

That's awesome. They really know how to go above and beyond as far as service and satisfaction goes. I purchased a new DG 30 at the experience and had David sign the top of the head for me. After he signed it, another fan asked him to sign a CD cover for him. Without hesitation, David grabbed the CD and layed it on top of my new amp and signed it for the guy. As David finished his signature he ran over with the Sharpie putting a stray mark across my amp head. I really did'nt care that it had happened only because David did it. If I had done it to my own amp, I would have been upset to say the least!! Anyway, Brandon from the amp department came to the rescue and quickly took the amp to the amp area and tried to remove the stray Sharpie but with no success. As he and I are standing there scratching our heads, Paul walks by and asks Brandon what the problem was. After Brandon explained to him what had happened and that we could not remove the stray mark, Paul turns to me and says "how about if I sign and date the amp over the stray mark?" I really was not going to make a big deal about the mark an the amp, but now things just got cool. Paul signed and dated the amp over the mark next to David Grissom's signature, shook my hand and my day was made!!
Sorry for taking over your thread Boogie. Your story just reminded me of my similar cool experience!!

That's hot. PRS and DG signed your amp. I totally regret not scoring one and getting it signed. I have a plan though!

Very cool Boogie!! After hearing the story while we were there, I'm not surprised at all that it worked out this way!

I have a plan though!

Oh...we all have plans...the trouble with mine is that my gear plans always seem to take a back seat to my keeping a roof over my head plans.

I've already given up on food.

TAJ, that's an awesome story and in no way is a hijack. Sorry we didn't meet at Exp. Heck, we could have been next to each other and wouldn't know it.

I'm with you Les. But it wasn't that long ago that a certain Mr. Schefman was announcing a NAD. Heck, you're still in the honeymoon stage with that HXDA. ;)

Very cool Boogie!! After hearing the story while we were there, I'm not surprised at all that it worked out this way!
Ang, just when I didn't think the story could get any better, it did when I got home.

Hey Doug, lemme know when you've made a new batch of koolaid. My glass is empty. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Back