How to DIY a Home Studio

Hmmm, my attempt to edit the image seems to have broken it. I seem to have this problem whenever I try to edit posts on the forum, does everyone else have the same thing happen to them?

Here's the image:
PlCAhOF.jpg

Now, what're we looking at? With this post I'll try to walk through the hardware solution I ended up with, why I selected them, and the capabilities they support.

Computer: I've been a lifelong PC user, and constantly argued the fact that Mac is overpriced and unnecessary. However, I had to admit that most hardware and software for studio recordings is "Mac Preferred". In order to optimize use of what I have, and reduce the amount of $$ sunk into proprietary Apple stuff, I went with a Mac mini. This got me the Apple OS and Thunderbolt connectivity I needed, without having to pay exorbitant prices for a processor and monitor combination. The Mac is all about processing, and connects to the existing NAS I have in the house for storage.

Interface: I actually went through two iterations here.
I started with a Focusrite Clarette 4 USB. This has 4 combo jacks for mic and 1/4, and would have handled just about anything I wanted to throw at it to get up and running. The main reason I started with this one was because I was fighting the pressure to change from a PC to a Mac. The more I researched this, the more I realized that I was painting myself into a corner. I ended up returning it for something that WOULD have been my first choice if I went w/a Mac. That being said: If you're looking to plug a pair of guitars and mics into an interface and be off and running, this is likely all you'll ever need! If you really just want one mic and one guitar, then the Clarette 2 is an even cheaper solution.

The second piece was actually my first choice, which I bought after accepting the need for a Mac - the UA Apollo Twin X Duo is the center of my system now. I really liked the Ox Box I bought, which has me leaning heavily towards the UA ecosystem of gear. I think they have everything I could ever need as a pro-sumer, and the ability to expand to as many channels as I could throw at it. It'll run anything I need, can be expanded pretty easily by daisy-chaining Thunderbolt connections, and meets all industry standard specs. This allows 2 inputs, but can easily scale with additional components up to 8,16, 32, etc. As a pro level piece of gear, t's more than I need now, but I don't have to worry that I'll ever outgrow it. The Twin X is connected to the Mac Mini with a Thunderbolt cable (yellow).

Additional processing - UA Satellite Quad: One of the things I dig about the UA ecosystem is all the digital plugins it brings - with them I can emulate a TON of the old skool analog gear from amazing studios and albums in my signal chain that I could never afford. Want to mimic a 40 year old pre-amp? A high speed EQ? The reverb from high end professional recording rooms? I can buy a plug in that represents it. The only thing I need beyond the Apollo Twin X that I bought (entry level UA Interface) is additional processing power. The Twin X Duo has 2 processors, the Satellite Quad adds 4 more, taking me to 6. I don't know that I needed this out of the gates, but I decided to include it in my original learning curve. The Satellite is connected to the Mac Mini with a Thunderbolt cable (yellow), and the UA Console software sees it and the Twin X as a single logical unit.

Ox Box: The UA Ox Box is the first piece of UA gear I bought. It does a few different things: amp attenuator, virtual amp / cab processing, etc. Now, in the studio world it allows me to easily connect my favorite head to the Ox Box, which is connected to the Twin X Interface, and get the exact tone from the head into my computer. I can then hear myself playing through the monitors, or route the signal back to the cab that the head is sitting on, or both. The Ox Box is connected to the Twin X through a digital audio cable (purple). There are also two pairs of speaker cables (green), in two locations of the room (4 total). There is a pair of 25' cables running to the shelf built-in - from the Marshall head to the Ox Box, and another returning from the Ox Box to the Orange cab. There is a pair of 50' cables running to the far corner of the room - from the PRS Dallas head to the Ox Box, and from the Ox Box to the Marshall 4x12. I swap out the cables running into the Ox Box, depending on which head/cab combo I want to use.

Microphones: To start with, I just did some homework and picked a couple of mid-range, decent mics. I have a Aston Origin for vocals, and a pair of SE-8s for acoustic/cab mic-ing

Guitars: The Custom 24 represents guitar connectivity. You can see the instrument cables (green, not to be confused with the long green speaker cable runs) can be plugged into any of the amp heads, or directly into the front of the Twin X. I'd use the heads that I have for obvious reasons, and directly into the Apollo Twin X if I wanted to use any of the plug-ins that I have in the UA ecosystem.

I think that's about it for equipment, please let me know if the level of detail is sufficient or there are more questions!

Fantastic thread...thank you for sharing.

All very good and well thought out choices on your computer setup above (based on my experience/opinion). Which DAW are you using?

Reactions: jfb
My setup, which I love, is a "500 series" Meris 440 --> RME ADI-2 PRO FS --> DAW/Headphones/Receiver. I can also simultaneously record the mic'd amp and blend the signals, or keep them panned.

The ADI-2 doesn't have pre-amps... it's mainly an insane AD/DA device, that also happens to be a best-in-class headphone amp and acts as my audio interface. Using standalone pre-amps in my 500-series lunchbox was a significant upgrade over the preamps in my previous Apollo Twin USB.

My setup, which I love, is a "500 series" Meris 440 --> RME ADI-2 PRO FS --> DAW/Headphones/Receiver. I can also simultaneously record the mic'd amp and blend the signals, or keep them panned.

The ADI-2 doesn't have pre-amps... it's mainly an insane AD/DA device, that also happens to be a best-in-class headphone amp and acts as my audio interface. Using standalone pre-amps in my 500-series lunchbox was a significant upgrade over the preamps in my previous Apollo Twin USB.

That's a good looking signal path, do you have any pictures of what your console setup looks like? I was considering going with analog devices like the pre-amp, but don't know that I'd be able to "only" get one or two. Going the plug-in route allows me to have many more at a more affordable level, and I'm willing for them to be the digital representation, not true hardware.

That's a good looking signal path, do you have any pictures of what your console setup looks like? I was considering going with analog devices like the pre-amp, but don't know that I'd be able to "only" get one or two. Going the plug-in route allows me to have many more at a more affordable level, and I'm willing for them to be the digital representation, not true hardware.
Thank you for the nice comment. The "console" is just 2 cards in a lunchbox (Meris 440 & Neve 511). I use a Surface Pro for the DAW & effects... I don't have analog compression or EQ (yet). The Meris lets me use pedal compression in the signal path for more options, but it's still digital. Taking a picture is good incentive to organize my guitar room a bit... I'll get on it.

Thank you for the nice comment. The "console" is just 2 cards in a lunchbox (Meris 440 & Neve 511). I use a Surface Pro for the DAW & effects... I don't have analog compression or EQ (yet). The Meris lets me use pedal compression in the signal path for more options, but it's still digital. Taking a picture is good incentive to organize my guitar room a bit... I'll get on it.

Heck yeah, I'm all about learning how others are doing it!

First casualty, < 3 days after delivery. She's getting used...

5ykVuXX.jpg

Intended as a compliment, “owner” means that your guitar isn’t just a “case queen”.

If you mean the picture, I like it.

Ok, thanks then. :D

First Rando Question:
The PS came with 10s, but with a wound G. I'm used to that on my acoustics, but not my electrics. I use PRS strings, but I guess the kind called "classic". Are the new "signature" strings the ones with the wound G?

Second Rando Questiond:
I dig the new "Dragons" pic, but I think it may fall under the "Better in Theory, not so much IRL". Something just doesn't look right.
Which do you prefer:

2IfCeky.jpg

or

X2rpgAq.jpg

I like the three part double neck better than the flock of dragons.
Lol, I dig that "Flock of dragons".

I hold my reply until the correct couch gets in there.
The wife is redecorating the kitchen eating area while I'm working on the basement, and she's working w/a decorator. She was sent to a furniture store that has in-house decorators, one of which is coming by today. I picked her brain at the store over the weekend, and we put "10-15 minutes in the guitar room" on the calendar. I haven't even FOUND the couch I like, so hopefully we get that decided on and ordered today. I've seen a lot of good ones, but the challenge is finding something smaller (72") that I like. The idea of " a pair of chairs" came up over the weekend, so I'm thinking about that as well. My focus is two guitarists being able to either hang or play, so that means lower arms, etc...

After I decide on the sofas, I can finalize the art. Both of those that you saw are "quick mock-ups", not the final version. I'll be deciding on which I prefer, cleaning up the graphics a bit, and doing a final printing of the Chosen One.

Lol, I dig that "Flock of dragons".

The wife is redecorating the kitchen eating area while I'm working on the basement, and she's working w/a decorator. She was sent to a furniture store that has in-house decorators, one of which is coming by today. I picked her brain at the store over the weekend, and we put "10-15 minutes in the guitar room" on the calendar. I haven't even FOUND the couch I like, so hopefully we get that decided on and ordered today. I've seen a lot of good ones, but the challenge is finding something smaller (72") that I like. The idea of " a pair of chairs" came up over the weekend, so I'm thinking about that as well. My focus is two guitarists being able to either hang or play, so that means lower arms, etc...

After I decide on the sofas, I can finalize the art. Both of those that you saw are "quick mock-ups", not the final version. I'll be deciding on which I prefer, cleaning up the graphics a bit, and doing a final printing of the Chosen One.
How about stealing MAPete's chair?

1G8850F.jpg

That is a kicka$$ chair.

Good meeting, supposed to head over to the shop to decide on some stuff after work tonight. She had a hard time w/one of my requirements: low/no arms, to make playing w/o perching on the end of the cushion possible
Good luck. Happy hunting!

I got a set of focal alpha last year and really dig them.
My first monitors so not much to compare with, but they make me smile everytime I crank them up.
Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.

Front facing ports seem like a good idea in the space you've created too.

I got a set of focal alpha last year and really dig them.
My first monitors so not much to compare with, but they make me smile everytime I crank them up.
Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.

Front facing ports seem like a good idea in the space you've created too.

I'm working with them, but I think that I need to dial them in. In their defense, I just plugged them in an started using them, so I suspect I need to break out the manual and figure out how to EQ them. They sounds pretty much like dookie to my ears as they stand now...

BTW, created those raised sections. The goal here was two part:
1) Raise up the Focals a bit, they were too low
2) Potentially give myself more space to get the Ox Box, etc, off the desk

They're just sitting on top of the other section, not attacked, but I'm digging how it turned out.

VTy9Iod.jpg

I'm working with them, but I think that I need to dial them in. In their defense, I just plugged them in an started using them, so I suspect I need to break out the manual and figure out how to EQ them. They sounds pretty much like dookie to my ears as they stand now...

BTW, created those raised sections. The goal here was two part:
1) Raise up the Focals a bit, they were too low
2) Potentially give myself more space to get the Ox Box, etc, off the desk

They're just sitting on top of the other section, not attacked, but I'm digging how it turned out.

VTy9Iod.jpg
Speakers like these may take a little bit to break in, also if you aren't already aware, it's worth reading about placement of speakers in corners. (Useful trick live to put subwoofers in corners to increase their output, if the rig is undersized)

In both cases, it's the low end that's going change, but it shouldn't take too long until you're happy.

Back