How DO They Do That? The hand written markings on the headstock?

HANGAR18

Who is John Galt?
How DO They Do That?

I'm talking about the hand written markings on the back of the headstock like the serial number, the private stock messages which say "Made for So&so" and the occasional hand written PRSh signatures. Is it a propriatary trade secret what sort of paint pen, marker or little tiny paint gremlin they use to do these things?

The reason(s) I ask is that I may one day run across someone other than PRSh who I might ask to sign the back of one of my non-prs guitars and I want to make sure I choose the right marking device which will not wear off. Also, at some point in the next two years or less, I am hoping to have a non-PRS guitar builder, build me personally a custom USA made guitar and I would like to recommend that said builder use that same sort of marking device.

They make paint pens, they sell them at all office supply stores. Write on the guitar after it has been finished, but before clear has been sprayed. Spray over the writing when the entire guitar gets cleared and you're good to go.

They make paint pens, they sell them at all office supply stores. Write on the guitar after it has been finished, but before clear has been sprayed. Spray over the writing when the entire guitar gets cleared and you're good to go.

I've seen those "paint pens" in the office supply stores but I also know that some paints and clear paints or laquers are not compatible with each other. I have no idea what kind of paint is in those office supply pens or what kind of nitro (for example) is safe to spray over the paint of said pens.

A gold paint pen is Paul and a Mark used on the back of the headstock on my Tremonti.

Yup..as Raven said, Mark has signed both of my Tremontis with a gold paint pen. One the PTC did a sweet job sealing it in the finish, blue one needs to go to PTC to get signature sealed. On my 2 Tremontis, the serial numbers are exactly the same color as signatures...I dig that :)

Paint pen will be compatible with most lacquers once its dry, but it will eat into nitro coats a little - only a problem if you try to take the paint pen back off though.. The markers/pens PRS used for some periods of time actually DO fade sometimes, unfortunately. 2001 strikes me asparticularly common to see faded, for some reason.

I had PRSh and Brent Mason sign the backplate of my PRS Brent Mason guitar. They used a gold Sharpie, and before I put the plate back on the guitar (I brought just the plate to be signed), I sprayed it with a clear finish that's designed for use on wood decks. I haven't used the guitar on a gig yet--it's been a long time since I HAD a gig!--so I hope it holds up in the heat of battle. First sign of wear, if there is one, the signed plate comes off and the original unsigned one goes back on.

I think Paul used a sharpie on my headstock and rear plate, and on my sons SE Semi-Hollow.
The plate is on display and not on the guitar, and I am very careful when wiping the 408 down as to not go over the sig on the head stock.

That is not a crack or scratch by the top right tuner, camera anomaly.

9.jpg

10.jpg

Back