How do they do it?!

gemyneye

So many guitars, not enough time
Ok, so my collection is now complete. The Santana finished it. (Yes for real this time and I love every one of my guitars). And I can't help but wonder how people with many guitars do it! I have 11 plus and acoustic. If I play a different one ever day, obviously it will take me 12 days to get them all in. I suppose I could change out multiples in one day. But on top of that, if I do maintenance and setups, it takes me all day to get them all done. Now that may be because I am setting them up now to the way "I" like them and the string gauges plus regular maintenance. I will say I am so glad I learned to do my own setups last year! The money I'm saving, I could buy another guitar next year! (hahaha, nope no more guitars, maybe start learning about pedals and amps??). So, any way I don't know how people with like 20+ guitars go through all their guitars and maintain them!

Done. So the cure for GAS is doing a set up on 10 guitars in one day! And I will say the guitar that is the hardest setup is the silver sky and the easiest is the 594 HB.

I've got a fair few electric guitars (well, 16, so maybe more than a few, but I have a friend who has >80, so compared to him I feel quite reasonable, thankyouverymuch), and what I do is this: I keep four out at any given time on stands around my workstation, and I rotate one or two every week, more-or-less on a whim... I set up all my guitars to my particular likes when I first get them... Over time if a guitar needs a setup tweak or its strings changed, I'll do it, but I never do more than one in a day... and I always write the date on the string packaging and throw it in the case pocket when changing strings so I know when I did the last string change... Some guitars get more play time than others, but that's okay, they all see the light of day every couple months or so, and they all get what attention they need to keep them clean and playable, and I get to actually own the guitars I want without undue angst... works for me.

I've got a fair few electric guitars (well, 16, so maybe more than a few, but I have a friend who has >80, so compared to him I feel quite reasonable, thankyouverymuch), and what I do is this: I keep four out at any given time on stands around my workstation, and I rotate one or two every week, more-or-less on a whim... I set up all my guitars to my particular likes when I first get them... Over time if a guitar needs a setup tweak or its strings changed, I'll do it, but I never do more than one in a day... and I always write the date on the string packaging and throw it in the case pocket when changing strings so I know when I did the last string change... Some guitars get more play time than others, but that's okay, they all see the light of day every couple months or so, and they all get what attention they need to keep them clean and playable, and I get to actually own the guitars I want without undue angst... works for me.
Whoa! I couldn't imagine 80! Yeah I think I might do one guitar a week when it comes time to change strings again. It was a long day. I don't have room in my room to have more than 1 guitar out at a time. But maybe one day.

This is similar to what I do, I have several out at a time and grab whichever one suits my whim at a given moment. Every so often I rotate a handful from cases to stands. I think the OP will find that once the initial round of setups is done, future string changes will be the time to do light tweaks on a guitar. I do that when I notice the strings are worn out, and that tends to spread out over time. I've got guitars that I haven't changed the strings on in 5+ years, which I'm doing something about this weekend. I guess those things don't always average out...

This is similar to what I do, I have several out at a time and grab whichever one suits my whim at a given moment. Every so often I rotate a handful from cases to stands. I think the OP will find that once the initial round of setups is done, future string changes will be the time to do light tweaks on a guitar. I do that when I notice the strings are worn out, and that tends to spread out over time. I've got guitars that I haven't changed the strings on in 5+ years, which I'm doing something about this weekend. I guess those things don't always average out...
Thank you. I'm thinking it won't take as long as well.

It is a DAUNTING TASK!!!!!! I have my little system but it is still a lot of work. The hard part is getting everything perfect initially on each guitar. Once you achieve that you are pretty good to go as long as your tuning and string gauge stays the same. At that point, it is simply minor truss rod adjustments (if needed) and string changes.

I keep notes on each guitar and rotate around, etc. I do feel like i am always changing strings though. Thank God for PRS tuners and the majority of my collection being PRS. :)

It is a DAUNTING TASK!!!!!! I have my little system but it is still a lot of work. The hard part is getting everything perfect initially on each guitar. Once you achieve that you are pretty good to go as long as your tuning and string gauge stays the same. At that point, it is simply minor truss rod adjustments (if needed) and string changes.

I keep notes on each guitar and rotate around, etc. I do feel like i am always changing strings though. Thank God for PRS tuners and the majority of my collection being PRS. :)
Yes, I agree! All my guitars, save 1, are PRS.

I know this is blasphemy, but I've actually reached a point where I have too many guitars. I don't get to play much, so I haven't even had 95% of them out of their cases in over a year. It's a sad state of affairs.
Wow. Does your heart break? I have a classical like that. I really should string it up and play it.

Last edited:
I 100% have to many guitars , BUT I always want more or different ones .
At one point I did have one of every shape ( configuration ) PRS wise, more guitars , less variety at the moment.
I lack a Santana shaped guitar. if the right one or a ( DC22 ) comes along ;)

Back