How do PRS handle fuzz sounds?

I was looking at the iron bell pedal for the Gilmour sound. I was also looking at the Electro-Harmonix ram's head big muff.

I was looking at the iron bell pedal for the Gilmour sound. I was also looking at the Electro-Harmonix ram's head big muff.
The Iron Bell can be amazing, especially with strats. I should probably record some demos with single coils soon. Everything I've done lately is with the Santana SE lol

I have never tried an actual EHX Rams Head Muff, or even a Big Muff for that matter- even though people are always with them in the studio. However, I was playing with this today:

Which was really fun! It's based on the Triangle Muff variation :)

All of mine love the fuzz in my Keeley Dark side , which I run after a Fender Tube distortion ( mostly for warm gain , it's not a big fuzzer)

Last edited:
So You Are Talking Guitar Models And Not Guitar Brands. ;)
Not sure what you mean, Fender is known for having the most guitar players who play fuzz, followed but I don't have much experience with PRS guitars, I do have alot of Fender guitars, as much as I hate Fender Custom shop 😆 😂 😅

I need to unbox my Silver Sky soon, but I'm not thinking that it will beat my custom strat or Jazzmaster for fuzz, for John Mayer style of course the Silver Sky will beat my strat

Not sure what you mean, Fender is known for having the most guitar players who play fuzz,
You Initially Mentioned A Brand (PRS) And Can It Handle Fuzz Sounds. You Then Went On To Mention Specific Models From Manufacturers In Relation To Handling Fuzz. I Chimed In That It Was A Model, Not A Brand Specifically. :)

There Are A Ton Of Brands Out There With Essentially 3 Pickup Type Choices...(Single Coil, Humbucker, p90). I Have Never Heard Of Such And Such Brand Being Better For An Effect.

You Know All This Stuff...:)

While you can most certainly add fuzz to any with varying results, the essence is really which ones hit the mark the best .

For me hands down , both of the Santana's . My CS strat is fine, My Soapies sing, My ES's soak it up with smiles but the King of the Hill ..not even close

You Initially Mentioned A Brand (PRS) And Can It Handle Fuzz Sounds. You Then Went On To Mention Specific Models From Manufacturers In Relation To Handling Fuzz. I Chimed In That It Was A Model, Not A Brand Specifically. :)

There Are A Ton Of Brands Out There With Essentially 3 Pickup Type Choices...(Single Coil, Humbucker, p90). I Have Never Heard Of Such And Such Brand Being Better For An Effect.

You Know All This Stuff...:)
Again, not sure what you're meaning. My original question was "How do PRS handle Fuzz?".... Not "Can PRS handle fuzz?"

The thread was never meant to become a brand war, it was simply showcasing my demos of how my Santana SE handled the Fuzz but we don't tend to see - or hear alot of PRS using hard Silicon Fuzz Sounds on this forum or this neck of the woods. So that was why I didn't put specific model in relation to Fuzz on the title. My thread and comments were meant with utmost respect to PRS. I have only ever complimented and has the best respect for both PRS and Fender Custom Shop.. You asked a question so I simply gave an answer as best as I could with what we see within the indistry. Of course there are tons of brands that make single coil guitars, that is common knowledge.

All of Fender's guitars have a snappy/woody quality to them (Single Coil, p90 and humbucker equippes guitars, it goes beyond their traditional Single coil guitars) that no other company seems to make them with, which interacts well with Fuzz making them the preferred guitar brand. Not trying to start an argument and has nothing to do with buas of me establishing myself as knowing more than anyone. I said before, this is beyond what I think or my experience (meaning I don't know it all) but just stating a fact based on what we see the most popular artists and bands use live in studio.

Pretending that Fender guitars aren't known for being better suited for Fuzz would be silly of me or anyone else, granted they are familiar with the music who's who's and who done it's and how ye be's on top of that.. it goes back all the way from Hendrix and Clapton to Nirvana, White Stripes, Dinosaur JR., Beadobee, etc. I realize that this is a PRS only fan forum but there shouldn't be wrong with stating this type of fact or recommendations of alternative brand in performance either. If you meant something entirely different then apologies, texts can be hard to gather the correct social cues...

Didn't (and still don't) mean to offend, just genuinely trying to be helpful,
Cheers!

I Think You Are Making This A Way Bigger Deal Than It Is. There Are No Offenses Going On. There Are No Arguments Going On. My Comments Have Nothing To Do With This Forum Being "Brand Specific" Or A PRS "Fan Forum" As You Stated. All I Am Saying His Why Wouldn't PRS Guitars Handle Fuzz Sounds? Replace "Fuzz" With Delay Or Reverb And You May Better Understand What I Am Saying. My Knaggs Guitars Sure Handle Reverb Well. My Nik Huber Guitars Sure Handle Delay Well. Nothing Handles Chorus Better Than A Suhr Guitar And If You Want A Guitar That Handles Compression Like Nobody's Business Then You Need An Anderson. That Is Crazy Talk. Seriously. These Are Effects Running Through A Few Various Pickup Types (No Matter The Guitar Brand) And A Guitar Amp And Speaker. Why Wouldn't PRS Or Any Other Brand Be Able To Handle A Fuzz Pedal?

There is Nothing Wrong With Talking About Other Brands Or Comparing Things Etc. I Just Find It Incredibly Odd (Almost Trollish) To Even Ask If Any Brand Can Handle A Fuzz Pedal.

Again, No Offense Taken...There Are No Brand Wars Or Arguments Gong On Here. This Isn't A Talk PRS Only Or You Are Censored Type Of Thing In Any Way. :)

Carry On...

Lol I don't have alot of experience with PRS guitars and was always fond of Fender and Fender Custom Shop and so the Santana SE being my first, PRS, I made the video comparison as a test for the pedals as well as the guitar. I wasn't expecting much so I gave an answer I already had based on what the standard is on the industry - so thankfully none of it was my opinion but what is widely known thereof. Delving in from there, I continued to make demos for pedals individually. All pedal demos in our guest room, I made over this last week on the Santana SE.

Does my Santana SE match my strat or Jazzmaster in handling a compressed fuzz or (transparent one for that matter)? You can decide for yourself.

Here's the Santana SE on a fully dynamic/fully transparent fuzz:

I'll do shorts using the strat and the Jazzmaster this weekend. Maybe a Les Paul as well. I'll be sure to post them here for reference as it will be something everyone is truly interested!

Back