Home recording

Thanks guy's, I have messed with the menu, but did not see a stereo/mono selection, but next time I have a chance I will take a look.

OK, before I left for work, I found in the menu how to put it on mono.
Tried that with the Shure, and still lots of noise, and I could hardly hear any of my voice.
Switched it back to stereo, and lots of noise but my voice was louder.
Power to the mic is off by default too.

Def sounds like it is the little adapter cable I have.

PS, cannot view the MP3 from a few posts here at work, it is blocked.
Will have to try from home.

I just saw Tascam has this unit.
TASCAM DP-24 Channel Digital Multitrack Recorder

How does it compare to the R16 and R24?
It looks like it has a bigger menu screen, and is in color too.
Does not look like it has a headphones out though, and also cannot run on batteries like the Zoom units.
No drum machine like the R24 has either.

Last edited:
Not sure if bigger = better but that DP-24 looks like it has everything you'd need as well. I have no experience with it though, so my opinion is moot...

I just saw Tascam has this unit.
TASCAM DP-24 Channel Digital Multitrack Recorder

How does it compare to the R16 and R24?
It looks like it has a bigger menu screen, and is in color too.
Does not look like it has a headphones out though, and also cannot run on batteries like the Zoom units.
No drum machine like the R24 has either.
Damn! My 1st four track (Tascam Porta 02) in 1993 cost $200 ($321 in today's dollars), was cassette based, two 1/4" inputs, level and pan for each track only, no EQ, no FX, and it sounded basically terrible!!

I really hadn't looked at stand alone units at all recently, but it's just mind blowing how you can get 24 track standalone recorders that record 8 simultaneous channels of audio for under $500. You can do a full length album on that.

The Zooms did not get all that great of reviews at Amazon, but they get better reviews at Sweetwater.
A lot of pros using the R24, here are some reviews which I read all of them earlier.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/R24/reviews

Still a few complaints, some say the perfect machine has not hit the market yet, but this one comes close.

R24-xlarge.jpg

1600-R24_blowup.jpg

Last edited:
Beats my old Roland VS-880EX by miles and miles. To think I saved for a summer to by that thing. I like the smaller units and think they would be great for recording my jam sessions for a listen later. The bigger ones I could see some use for as well. Interface and stand alone unit....win.

A couple of vids showing the R24 at recording.

I ordered the R24 and a 32 GB SD card, both will arrive later today.
I hope to get some time this weekend to mess around with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
dmatthews, great MP3, I finally got a chance to listen to it.
The R16 captured it great.

Next time my youngest comes by, I will have to see if he wants to jam a bit, and I will try out the new rig using the stock mics since I only have the one Shure for now.
Have not checked yet to see if both external and built in can be used at the same time.

Thanks, I messed around with for an hour before bed lest night, and you can record with both the Shure and the onboard mics.
Very cool built in drum machine too, but I need to figure out (read the manual, watch YouTube vids) on how to insert a drum track so that I can play along with as it records.

I was reading up on the technology of these things including the R16 and the Tascams too, and tech like this years back to get this many tracks would set you back tens of thousands of dollars.
These portable units have come a long way.

Zoom R-16 Might be a Good Choice

I have a little Tascam DR-07 MK II that I tried out yesterday, and I am not really happy with it.
I used the internal twin mics on it yesterday, and I also picked up a Shure Beta 57 last week with the XLR cable, and an adapter to take it down to 1/8" stereo to plug into the Tascam, but it has tons of noise.
Sound guy at work says it probably needs a preamp for it.

Anyways, I am looking for something of better quality to mic my amps and record directly to to a device.
I have been eying the Zoom R16 as of late, and it looks pretty decent as a stand alone device that can handle up to 8 mics.
http://www.zoom.co.jp/products/r16
It will also interface with a computer and, and the unit has built in amp modeling and effects, but I am not interested in those since I am mainly looking for a good unit to mic a real amp.
It also comes with Cubase LE4 for software.

Anyone have any experience with this unit?
Something better out there than this for simple home use that I can use the Shure mic with?

Hi:

I have a Zoom R-16 and I use it every day. It's really a great recorder/Interface/Controller. I record background music to it in Stereo and then play back and record cover channels to mix with it. It works great. I use direct inputs right from the return line on my amp and record that level. Works great. I also use a Shure SM-57, Hieil Goldline and an Audio Technica DB-105 mics too.

This is a superb recorder with all the functionality you might nieed. It has effects, EQ, reverb, distortion, etc. I usually record somewhat wet from the amp and then adjust EQ on the recorder later, so I have the full spectrum recorded to alter later.

It also has an A-B loop feature, so if you want to play over and over a certain part to learn, you can do that. It has punch in too

It's really a great unit. You can download the manual from the ZOOM website and read that. Lots of features.

I hope this helps.

Thanks Cobra, I have the R24, but I have run into a snag.
Not sure if anyone has the answer here, si I joined the Zoom forum, but waiting for the admin there to approve my account which might take awhile.
They do that to prevent spam.
Here is what I wrote to post there when I get approved.

Sounds like the R16 is working great for you.
Hello, I just got the R24 Friday, and have been messing around with it.
Used the onboard mics to record my guitar and amp, and I also had a rhythm drum pattern #36 Rock playing along with it as I recorded my guitar.

Much to my dismay, after I hooked up the R24 via USB to my PC, I transferred the project WAV files to my PC.
When I played them back there was only my guitar, and the drum kit I had been jamming to during the recording was absent from the WAV file.
Is it possible to have the drums along with the guitar in the WAV file, or are we out of luck with the R24 doing this.
I was really hoping to have the drum sounds added to the WAV file as well.

Thanks Cobra, I have the R24, but I have run into a snag.
Not sure if anyone has the answer here, si I joined the Zoom forum, but waiting for the admin there to approve my account which might take awhile.
They do that to prevent spam.
Here is what I wrote to post there when I get approved.

Sounds like the R16 is working great for you.

This is only a suggestion, but maybe something to look into.
You might consider getting a simple USB interface by M-Audio, Line6, Apogee, etc. An interface is what will allow you to record your guitar directly to your computer, using your Shure mic, or any kind of mic for that matter. There is a free DAW software called Reaper that you can record the tracks directly into, then edit and modify to your heart's content. And there are billions of drum and backing tracks that you can insert into your project and play along and record with. The Zoom and portable all-in-one units are convenient for capturing live performances and scratchpad demos with your friends. But if you're wanting to just do home studio recordings, using a Zoom-like device presents several limitations and the sound quality won't be as good as if you were to use an interface.
Again, just a suggestion. Rock on.

At this point in time I do not want to buy anything extra, as I have around 6 bills now into the R24 with the 32 GB SD card and tax.
It did come with Cubase 5, I bet that will let me record directly to the PC too?
I already have a guitar/USB cable from that Guitar teaching game my younger son got himself and I.

At this point in time I do not want to buy anything extra, as I have around 6 bills now into the R24 with the 32 GB SD card and tax.
It did come with Cubase 5, I bet that will let me record directly to the PC too?
I already have a guitar/USB cable from that Guitar teaching game my younger son got himself and I.

Well, Cubase is a software that you can use to record with, but you would still need a way to capture and convert the signal for your PC.(interface) Interfaces start at around $40 and increase from there, depending on features, quality, number of inputs, etc. Once you have an interface, then you can record any instrument you want, using any mic you want, or go direct without a mic (using Amplitude, Gearbox, etc).

Unfortunately the Rocksmith guitar cable will not work as a Guitar-to-PC interface, the protocol is largely configured for console games. Even if it did, you would be limited to a clean, lo-fi, unamplified guitar signal.

Well, Cubase is a software that you can use to record with, but you would still need a way to capture and convert the signal for your PC.(interface) Interfaces start at around $40 and increase from there, depending on features, quality, number of inputs, etc. Once you have an interface, then you can record any instrument you want, using any mic you want, or go direct without a mic (using Amplitude, Gearbox, etc).

Unfortunately the Rocksmith guitar cable will not work as a Guitar-to-PC interface, the protocol is largely configured for console games. Even if it did, you would be limited to a clean, lo-fi, unamplified guitar signal.

Actually, both the R16 and R24 can be used as a USB audio interface to record into any DAW. I use it with Samplitude. If I'm not mistaken, with Cubase as the DAW when you move the sliders on the R16/24, the associated slider moves in the DAW as well.

It is compatible with all DAWs except for Pro Tools from what I have seen online.
Yes, when you move the sliders or push a button on the R16 or R24, it moves/activates it on the computer screen also.
Quite a few videos on YouTube.

Back