Home recording

Yeah, there is a master slider you can see in that pic I posted a few days ago that controls over all volume.
I will have to read up on the master mixdown.
This really is a nice unit, and compact.

Yeah, there is a master slider you can see in that pic I posted a few days ago that controls over all volume.
I will have to read up on the master mixdown.
This really is a nice unit, and compact.

I have my Macbook Pro and an Apogee unit but it would be nice to have a small stand alone unit for rough tracking ideas in my music room. Not that my current setup isn't portable I just dislike undocking it unless I am traveling. I was thinking something really small like the Tascam DR-100MKII but something like this looks great too.

There is a free DAW software called Reaper that you can record the tracks directly into, then edit and modify to your heart's content.
I have Pro Tools at home but it is difficult to use. I did a full album with it with our band (listen to the link in my sig) and I still feel like I don't know more than 10% of what it can really do.

I also use Audacity for sketches. We have a little live-to-2-track setup in our practice space where we record ideas at practice direct to MP3, then listen back to them during the week using a shared band gmail account. I'll dump "final" versions of songs into Audacity then compose vocals over the music. I like its simplicity but it definitely seems a little dated.

Do you think something like Reaper would be a nice middle ground?

If your Sure mic needs 48v phantom power, you will need something like the Creative Labs E-MU 0404 USB2.0 AUDIO/MIDI IN (I use it but don't know if it is still available). Edirol has similar devices. You want something with line in and out (2 channel at least), 2 mic unbalanced, 2 XLR 48v power, USB Zero latency editing capability. And nice to have 48v power switchable, with gain on each channel. XLR powered mics were developed for studio / professional use with long cables. The high shielding, ground wire, and 48v push keeps the mic working and VERY quiet with longer cables, like in a studio. So, a small mixer like above, can power your Sure mic, output to line level, input that into the Tascam Line in, and adjust all line and input levels to reduce noise and prevent distortion. Set digital average peak to -12 DB and never approach ZERO DB. Unbalanced stereo mics (with a battery) can be plugged directly into the Tascam 1/8 jack. For lapel mics, you probably need to turn on Mic Power on the Tascam. Keep in mind most professional inputs are MONO tracks because the tracks are mixed later in a DAW or studio. The little Tascam is professional in nature, so to get the most out of it, you got to study electronics, line levels, mics, on and on- experiment and write down all steps that work. Document every input / output level. Best of luck and enjoy.

https://soundcloud.com/stereotuber/tascam-dr-07-mk-ii-test-by-peter-baugh

Last edited:
Back