Help: Which PRS is next?

RocknPop

Hello new family, I am trying to decide what PRS I should buy next. I have a Signature Limited (2012 Eriza Verde trem) and a PRS CE22 all mahogany (1999 all red).

I just sold my Gibson 335 because it didn't inspire me much (maybe it was too big?), but I'm considering a hollowbody single cut as a potential next guitar.

I also like the 513, probably because it gives me that single coil that I am not getting from the Siggy or the CE22. On that same note, I am also considering a Swamp Ash Special, but am unsure about the narrowfield pickups.

I thought about the McCarty, since I don't have a Les Paul, but i'm not sure if there is enough tone difference to buy it.

And, I am also interested in the 2012 Custom 24 but I am afraid it will be too much like my other two guitars.

I'd like to stay as close to $2,000 as possible but if you recommend a great guitar that complements the others, I will check it out.

Thoughts?

If you're interested in used PRSi as well as new ones, you might want to check out the older Swamp Ash Specials - mine is a 2005 model with an H/S/H pickup configuration instead of the NFs, and I absolutely love it!

Congrats on the Eriza Verde. From CRGTR's videos, it sounds, and looks like an absolutly gorgeous guitar.
I'm guessing your CE22 has the toggle switch and not the 5-way rotary, otherwise than you would be able to get that single coil strat sound you mentioned.
Since you mentioned Hollowbody and McCarty, have you checked out a McCarty Hollowbody? I have a McCarty Hollowbody Spruce and, as much as I love my Custom 24 with Rotary, within days the McCarty Hollowbody became my new number 1 because of the clarity and overall tone of it. Especially since I tune differently that really impressed me a lot and stepped things up a notch.

Thanks guys, I actually have the CE22 with the rotary switch and I can get nice single coil tones, I just never use them, hah.

Will you tell me a bit more about the hollowbody? I have an offer for a hollowbody singlecut as a partial trade for my acoustic. It's the one that has a singlecut and also piezo pickups.

The guitars you mentioned are all across the board. I'd recommend trying to hook up with some local PRS fanatics and trying some...or do it like I do, and buy a bunch sight unseen. :)

Brad737 said:
The guitars you mentioned are all across the board. I'd recommend trying to hook up with some local PRS fanatics and trying some...or do it like I do, and buy a bunch sight unseen. :)

Fair :) I am leaning towards a hollowbody to be honest, and there aren't that many great PRS dealers in Chicago...

RocknPop said:
Will you tell me a bit more about the hollowbody? I have an offer for a hollowbody singlecut as a partial trade for my acoustic. It's the one that has a singlecut and also piezo pickups.

Oh nice. Unfortunately mine doesn't have the piezo, but I will say that it stays in tune VERY well, and played clean sounds lovely. I'll send you a few links to check mine out via pm.

RocknPop said:
Nice, looking forward to it. (Hopefully I lean more towards the hollowbody) :)

The lightweight body takes a bit of getting used to if you're like me and prefer playing standing up as opposed to sitting down. Clarity though, that's all I have to say.

If you don't go Hollowbody, I'd recommend a used Ted DC245 or SC245 or even a used Stripper if you can find one. They will be closer to an LP sound than a McCarty and a little more distance from the Siggy tone. Also, I had several versions of the Swamp Ash, but the Swamp Ash Studio is my favorite variation thus far. The NFs sound great in the neck/middle

Your Next Guitar

Hello new family, I am trying to decide what PRS I should buy next. I have a Signature Limited (2012 Eriza Verde trem) and a PRS CE22 all mahogany (1999 all red).

I just sold my Gibson 335 because it didn't inspire me much (maybe it was too big?), but I'm considering a hollowbody single cut as a potential next guitar.

I also like the 513, probably because it gives me that single coil that I am not getting from the Siggy or the CE22. On that same note, I am also considering a Swamp Ash Special, but am unsure about the narrowfield pickups.

I thought about the McCarty, since I don't have a Les Paul, but i'm not sure if there is enough tone difference to buy it.

And, I am also interested in the 2012 Custom 24 but I am afraid it will be too much like my other two guitars.

I'd like to stay as close to $2,000 as possible but if you recommend a great guitar that complements the others, I will check it out.

Thoughts?
As far as a variety of sounds, I think the 513 is the one to beat...both maple top and Swamp ash offer an incredible variation of sounds...I also have an older SAS (HSH)which is very nice, great single coil sounds. Rewired mine so Push-Pull tone pot "down" offers the single coil sounds. Love it.

I know what you mean about the size of the 335; I always felt mine was gigantic, and it felt odd to play, though I did like the tones. The cool thing about the Hollowbody PRS models is that you get that warm, woody thing going, with a much more manageable body size. In terms of sonic preference, I guess that's a matter of taste, so I can't comment on that.

One model you might want to check out is the 2011 Semi Hollow CU22 Limited; it is a wonderful guitar with great pickups. Has just enough of the warm HB tone to tickle your ear, but can do a greater variety of things (imho).

Nice, looking forward to it. (Hopefully I lean more towards the hollowbody) :)

The hollowbody with piezo is a very versatile guitar.
I think even more so than the old style SAS or a three pack of the narrowfields, both of which are configurations I find have great range.
When I travel with one guitar, it is almost always the HB.

Back