Heavy palm muting on 24 fret guitars

Krugg

Looking to buy an SE Custom 24; I have a Gibson SGJ 2014 and noticed that the neck pickup does get in the way if you try heavy palm muting (since your muting hand has to get closer to the neck pickup). Kind of similar to people who find that middle pickups get in the way on three pickup guitars.

Was wondering if anybody has this issue with the SE Custom 24's or 24 frets in general, where the first fret doesn't move in comparison to a 22 fret guitar, and the neck pickup is moved closer to the bridge pickup for the sake of the 2 extra frets.

If the issue is that the pick is bouncing off the top of the pickup, then either learn to not to drive in that deep (which you'll want to learn anyway if speed is a goal) or adjust where along the string you're plucking the string.

Both Hammett and Petrucci's guitars are 24 frets. Both seem to do alright when palm muting.

Last edited:
My first electric guitars were 24-fret trem-equipped superstrats. Master of Puppets was a brand new album at the time and I jumped right into that. Stay light on the bridge and tickle the tops of the strings. Digging in deep will slow you down. It can totally be done.

Other than depth of digging in, it depends a lot on ergonomics (or anthropometrics, actually) - people have different size and shape of hands and fingers. And people have different ways of holding the pick :)

If the issue is that the pick is bouncing off the top of the pickup, then either learn to not to drive in that deep (which you'll want to learn anyway if speed is a goal) or adjust where along the string you're plucking the string.

Both Hammett and Petrucci's guitars are 24 frets. Both seem to do alright when palm muting.

He's kinda avoiding the neck pickup here isn't he? And his guitars have no pickup mounting rings which also helps.

2:27

18:40:

"The reason I don't have a middle pickup is because my pick would always knock it".

Just interesting.

Like Boogie, I have no problem with it regardless of guitar (and in addition to 22 fret and 24 fret PRSes, have a 3 pickup PRS. However, everyone plays differently.

To maintain accuracy, I mostly play a Jazz III size & shape pick that’s small enough not to get caught up in the strings or hit the pickups.

In fact my first guitar many years ago was an SG.

Nonetheless, if pickup placement on a 24 fretter isn’t working for you, just get a 22 fret guitar and be done with it.

I can go back and forth from fixed to tremolo, 22 - 24 fret guitars just fine. I think on the 24 fretters with tremolo, I tend to back off a little towards the bridge, but not too far because then the palm muting can get a bit muddy. Shallow with the pick and heavier gauge bottom strings help for chunk!

I’m with Boogie and the “Schefmeister” (apologies for the informality, I just felt you deserved a nickname and if was between this and “Hugh Schefner).
It depends on the guitar, pickups and bridge/trem. Familiarise yourself with the guitar, if it doesn’t feel right, go with what does, or if you’re up for a challenge, stick in with it. You might enjoy it and get the sound you’re looking for.

I echo many of the same sentiments as others have posted. I have both a 22 fret PRS and 24 fret PRS - I have zero issue palm muting on either of them. I have a very difficult time playing with a middle pickup (I am in the John Petrucci picking camp), and only use my Strat when palm muting is limited. I'm not heavy handed or play particularly deep with my plectrum, but the middle pickup gets in my way sometimes. It's why I've never purchased a guitar of any real value with a middle pickup (my Strat is a 1997 Squier). I'd love a Super Eagle, and even if I had the funds, I know I'd get irritated with the middle pickup. I can play the shred stuff, sweep, whatever. The dang middle pickup is a problem for me.

...where the first fret doesn't move in comparison to a 22 fret guitar, and the neck pickup is moved closer to the bridge pickup for the sake of the 2 extra frets.

The bridge pickup on 22 and 24 fret guitars is the same distance from the bridge on both guitars. And, the neck pickup IS closer to the bridge on a 22 fretter.

The bridge and bridge pickup are both shifted to different positions together depending on whether the guitar has 22 or 24 frets. They are both closer to the neck end of the guitar (and further from the tail end of the guitar) on a 24 fret model.

That changes the angle of your arm slightly over the bridge also making picking (and palm muting) just ever so slightly different on a 24 fretter and a 22 fretter of the same scale.

22v24body.gif

more discussion here:

http://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/22-frets-vs-24.7196/

Last edited:
Back