Heavy - And Awesome - Weekend

alantig

Zombie Four, DFZ
I'm in the midst of one hellacious concert run over September and October. I had Joe Walsh and Ace Frehley two days apart last week, but this weekend was :rock: heavy.

First up was Ghost in Pittsburgh. The opening act did nothing for me, but Ghost tore it up. I can understand that the faux-Satanic angle can turn some people off, but this band tears it up live. Sometimes I think the metal label is misapplied to them, but live it certainly fits. Super tight, super grooving, awesome stage presentation.

That was Friday. Saturday, it was off to Cleveland for my first-ever show at the legendary Agora. Tons of history in that building. On this night, I was there for Tremonti. A band from Detroit called Wilson opened and was very good. I took my buddy along - he hadn't heard any of the bands, and I wasn't sure if they would be to his taste, but we liked all three (I already knew I liked Tremonti from Experience 2012).

Tremonti was second on this night. The mix was a little lacking on the vocals, and clubs tend to overdo the sub-woofer a bit these days, but Tremonti tore it up. They have a sub bass player because Wolfgang Van Halen got in trouble so he had to spend the summer playing in his father's band, but you'd have never known it. Lots of PRSi on display - including the graphic finish Tremonti and a tribal as well.

The headliner on this night was Trivium (it's a co-headlining tour with Tremonti). I wasn't familiar with them, but I was hugely impressed. Matt Heafy really controlled the stage, the sound was excellent, and the music was great. I'll go see these guys again. Grabbed their CD on the way out.

Very cool night - even with a 2.5 hour drive home afterwards. We were chatting with a couple from near Columbus, and they asked if we were staying in town after the show. We said we were driving home, and the guy said, "Whoa - that's pretty hard core. I can't do that." Dude was probably 15 years younger than me, too. But I'm fueled by the midnight stop at a service plaza McDonald's!

Got to talk to the guys in Tremonti after their set because I bought a shirt. Got a couple compliments on my 30th anny PRS shirt, and tried to get Mark to come closer to where I am so I can do the master class before the show.

This was supposed to be an off week - just a comedy show, but my buddy told me Night Ranger is playing a club near here, and my wife decided she wanted to go (we can get a table to sit at - she has bad knees and can't stand for a show). She has a thing for Jack Blades. Lucky for me, I get to use it! And I'm on vacation this week, so it's all good.

Sounds like you've got one hell of a schedule there. I really wanted to take some friends to see Ghost this year but we would have had to go on a weekend. Just our luck there was a Saturday show in Philly, but the Pope ruined it :bawling:. I agree, they are really tight live and actually play heavier than they sound in the studio, but the pop melodies are still there. Pop metal satannic ritual. I left last year's show wondering what the hell I just saw and still humming the tunes. :evil:

Awesome week!!!!!

Gotta say, first thing I thought of when I first heard Ghost a couple of years ago was Blue Oyster Cult.

Sounds like you've got one hell of a schedule there. I really wanted to take some friends to see Ghost this year but we would have had to go on a weekend. Just our luck there was a Saturday show in Philly, but the Pope ruined it :bawling:. I agree, they are really tight live and actually play heavier than they sound in the studio, but the pop melodies are still there. Pop metal satannic ritual. I left last year's show wondering what the hell I just saw and still humming the tunes. :evil:

The first time I saw them, they opened for Opeth and Mastodon. I'd heard of them, but only the name, none of the music. They came out and I was captivated - and laughing. I looked them up on Wikipedia and it said they were a satanic band from Sweden, and I looked at the stage, back at my phone, back at the stage and said, "People take this seriously?" It was so clearly over the top. And I've been hooked ever since.

They had an exclusive shirt for the NY and Philly shows - the Pope kissing Papa's ring. I had to settle for just a Meliora shirt.

I've got a big 12-day stretch in October, too, although the Who show in there was cancelled. And in those 12 days, there are something like five or six shows that I've pretty much decided to pass on. Not sure how this stuff all happened at the same time.

Awesome week!!!!!

Gotta say, first thing I thought of when I first heard Ghost a couple of years ago was Blue Oyster Cult.

I've heard that a lot, and for whatever reason, I can't quite make the connection. Not sure why - I like BOC as well. I just haven't put it together like that yet.

Last edited:
I don't know. Maybe it was the vocal harmonies, or the keys, or the jazzy chords ala Buck. Maybe it's the fact that they're not a riff based band? I don't know what it was, but it screamed BOC to me. Actually made me hit up the MP3 site and download all of the BOC catalog that I hadn't listened to in 30 years.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N-2SC-smBW0
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nRjLv1L0WF8
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Dxr5sKyK8ys

I'm not saying you're wrong - enough people have said it that I wonder what it is I'm not hearing.

But I did see BOC earlier this year as well. Much less elaborate stage presentation! :rofl:

Sounds like you had a great weekend Alan!

Oh, it was. It's an incredible two month run for me - somehow everything fell into the same time span.

Hell, there's a week coming up in October where one show I was going to was postponed, and there are a bunch of shows that I will pass on because there's just too much that week - Chicago, Stevie Wonder, King Diamond, Project/Object, Jen Kirkman, Bill Burr, Norah Jones. And that's just what I can find and remember right now.

The week before that is merely Mark Knopfler, Peter Framton, Lewis Black and a hockey game.

Back