Hate to ask for help identifying a PRS

cshallcross

but I really feel like I need one of these...

Untitled by cxcxsx, on Flickr

and I was curious if the collective brain here could tell me what I'm looking at (model, wood, color)? I have two PRS now that might be up for trades if I can find one of these.

Thanks, and sorry for the stupid question.

Huh. So that's like a Custom 22 with a fixed bridge, no inlays, a reclaimed-ish looking top but darker finish than I'm used to seeing, and maybe hybrid hardware coloring? The no inlays is really throwing me off.

I should add, get some birdies in there and you've got yourself a looker :)

How about pics of the headstock(front and back) and any shots of the pickup cavities. Does it come with a case that had MODCAT on it? There isn't enough info here to make me think this is a legit PRSi...unless it's a refinished CE with a replacement neck...

Waiting to get updated pics which will hopefully have something a bit more useful. The finish and the grain of the top are the main interests. I just wasn't sure if this was a commonly known finish but it kinda has me hooked.

That is stunning !!!!!
Im in love with no inlays thinking PS / Artist more pics when you can

In my humble opinion, the top initially has the appearance of cocobolo. Also hints of Rosewood or some other exotic timber.

I’m undecided whether its a one or two piece top. My thoughts are one-piece as there is little evidence of book-matching. Or It maybe have been cleverly slip-matched (something that Paul did in the early days).

There’s also something that makes me think this may be a lighter coloured timber that has been stained to give the appearance of another timber. The grain pattern doesn’t have the rich swirling appearance of cocobolo.

Something else that is unusual is the depth of the rout for the lower control knob. It may be a trick of the light!

Also, maybe due to the colour of the timber (stain?), the angle of the photo and the reflections, the carve seems slightly deeper than present day PRS. Is there such a thing as a “vintage carve” with PS? My knowledge is limited.

It would be great to see some more photos and know what it is.

So, sadly it looks like I won't be sent more photos. A buddy messaged it to me and it turns out he was just sharing it from a blog post he stumbled upon but made it seem like it was listed somewhere and possibly something I could trade into. Sad tuba sounds.

In my humble opinion, the top initially has the appearance of cocobolo. Also hints of Rosewood or some other exotic timber.

I’m undecided whether its a one or two piece top. My thoughts are one-piece as there is little evidence of book-matching. Or It maybe have been cleverly slip-matched (something that Paul did in the early days).

There’s also something that makes me think this may be a lighter coloured timber that has been stained to give the appearance of another timber. The grain pattern doesn’t have the rich swirling appearance of cocobolo.

Something else that is unusual is the depth of the rout for the lower control knob. It may be a trick of the light!

Also, maybe due to the colour of the timber (stain?), the angle of the photo and the reflections, the carve seems slightly deeper than present day PRS. Is there such a thing as a “vintage carve” with PS? My knowledge is limited.

It would be great to see some more photos and know what it is.

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe swamp ash stained darker

So from the Reverb/Wildwest photos it’s obviuosly book-matched as there are corresponding marks either side of the join below the bridge.

Nice find Garrett

About 10 years ago or so there was a cu24 with swamp ash in white wash with peach colored flame top, flame maple neck on ebay. Is was freakin beautiful but I was not in a position to buy something like that back then.

I still think about that guitar.................

At Experience 2016, one of the finish guys whose name I cannot remember showed me a piece of Cocobolo he had been working on finishing. He said that Cocobolo was the most difficult wood to finish he had ever worked with in his 8 years with PRS. The photo you put up took my breath away. That is the most beautiful top I've ever seen.

Back