Guitar teacher questions

Just an update. My daughter and I visited a teacher recommended by the high school band instructor(he taught the band instructor to play). First thing was to plug the guitars in and play anything we knew so he could evaluate. Daughter faired very well considering her small stature at 10 she was at her physical limits but he felt she was playing much cleaner than average. That said, he knows the songs she wants to play, will play with her, and will get her playing with the backing tracks asap.

Then it was my turn. Took him all of 30 seconds to stop me and ask if I had been taking lessons from so and so. Nailed it! Apparently I was trying to play rock with a perfect jazz form. Backed my hand up to the bridge and had me try a couple things and I could easily tell what the song was I was trying to play instead of it being a distorted mess. Very impressive. He listens to the same music I do for leisure and is confident once I get comfortable playing from the bridge I'll be off and running.

Outstanding! Sounds like you've found a MUCH better fit. Good news!

Hmm, it appears this reply has been cached in my browser for a while now... not sure why I never posted it. Chrome mobile sure is acting goofy lately.

It looks like it doesn't apply anymore though, maybe someone in the future will search and see the advice of the Monkey Lord Rob Chappers, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back