Good price for new custom 24?

J_radical

basically a new custom 24 is listed at xxxx right now and guitar center is offering $500 off with friends family discount. Is $xxxx brand new better or worse than I could do a reputable dealer like Wild West, Brian’s etc. again, just a basic core custom 24 regular color. Very excited and want to pull this trigger already.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP... just as with any other thing in life, present price from party A to party B and ask if they can beat it. Pretty simple. Same as buying a car or getting your bathroom remodeled.

OP... just as with any other thing in life, present price from party A to party B and ask if they can beat it. Pretty simple. Same as buying a car or getting your bathroom remodeled.

I wouldn’t present another’s price first. I’d let each seller decide on his own what he would charge.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t present another’s price first. I’d let each seller decide on his own what he would charge.

Absolutely. How about you just give me the best price from start, without all the runaround?

lol

I worked for a guy awhile back, took me with him to buy a vehicle. He said to the salesman; "Just shoot straight with me and give me your absolute best price." The salesman gave him a price, boss said; "too much, good bye". Salesman then tried to haggle, boss yelled at salesman a bit, we left without said vehicle. ;)

I’ve got a great relationship with my dealer, and have bought all of my guitars and amps from him for 17 years. Anyone can sell you a guitar at a good price. The most valuable thing for me is knowing I can call the owner of the shop and get amazing, friendly service.

We’ve developed a mutual trust, and are buds. Can’t put a price on that. It’s a win-win.

Last edited:

I certainly would. There are motivating factors that tend to be emotionally driven. Lets say you know one dealer has a beef with another. You can totally play each dealer off each other and ultimately get the better deal in the end. Small boutique guys generally HATE GC. So, telling them you got such and such a price from GC is more apt to get the small boutique dealer to come in with a lower number then he/she would if left to their own devices. Yeah, its shrewd but business transactions usually are.

lol

I worked for a guy awhile back, took me with him to buy a vehicle. He said to the salesman; "Just shoot straight with me and give me your absolute best price." The salesman gave him a price, boss said; "too much, good bye". Salesman then tried to haggle, boss yelled at salesman a bit, we left without said vehicle. ;)

Good policy. I also have come across the inverse of that, where a trader (antiques) told a customer that he could only bid one offer, and that of course would be either accepted or rejected.

I certainly would. There are motivating factors that tend to be emotionally driven. Lets say you know one dealer has a beef with another. You can totally play each dealer off each other and ultimately get the better deal in the end. Small boutique guys generally HATE GC. So, telling them you got such and such a price from GC is more apt to get the small boutique dealer to come in with a lower number then he/she would if left to their own devices. Yeah, its shrewd but business transactions usually are.

One man's "shrewd" is another man's ethics. So, are you telling seller #1 up front you are going to share his efforts with seller #2? What if #1 spends time researching the answer and calls you back? Time is money. But apparently you see no conflict in giving that info to seller #2 so that he can undercut the price. I am in a business where I often spend quite a bit of time putting together a written proposal which I share with the potential client. I will ask for a commitment from the potential buyer that he not share my work with my competitors. However, it still happens, and sometimes I lose business to a competitor who didn't have to prepare or design a plan (or even understand it), but simply copies my work and offers a lower price. Shrewd or unethical? I guess we each have to decide.

I'd really be interested in knowing your age and what you do for a living.

lol

I've done exactly the same, except I told him up front I wasn't going to barter.

One man's "shrewd" is another man's ethics. So, are you telling seller #1 up front you are going to share his efforts with seller #2? What if #1 spends time researching the answer and calls you back? Time is money. But apparently you see no conflict in giving that info to seller #2 so that he can undercut the price. I am in a business where I often spend quite a bit of time putting together a written proposal which I share with the potential client. I will ask for a commitment from the potential buyer that he not share my work with my competitors. However, it still happens, and sometimes I lose business to a competitor who didn't have to prepare or design a plan (or even understand it), but simply copies my work and offers a lower price. Shrewd or unethical? I guess we each have to decide.

I'd really be interested in knowing your age and what you do for a living.
Well said 11top...I also put together proposals and expect and ask for a certain amount of confidentiality...in any business dealing I feel it's the "right" thing to do.

The Golden Rule applies here, treat others as you would like to be treated. Choose a dealer based on informed research and/or recommendations, make an offer and they'll accept or refuse it.

First post, didn’t read forum rules. I guess I should’ve just asked is $500 off a “good” deal on a basic custom 24 or shop a little more? I’m not a huge guitar center guy but they’re right next to my house and they also do 2 years no interest which helps. Waiting to hear back from a couple dealers now but like above poster said, if it’s worth it to me... definitely is. My French bulldog will remain the most expensive item in my house however.

Back