Good Portable Surge Protector?

CandidPicker

Tone Matters. Use It Well.
Some years ago, (when younger) I owned an ungainly & lengthy power strip/surge protector built by Monster, and IIRC, Monster has since done away with most of their line of surge protection/power conditioning.

My current live rig sports a Furman SSB6 surge protector, as well as a couple UPSi and a couple rack mounts for my audio equipment...

What have been your experiences with portable surge protection/power conditioners?

Last edited:
Take your pick.

https://www.tripplite.com/?msclkid=22d77e0c9e46143b9a5f206ae18f7558&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=a.Tripp Lite&utm_term=tripp Lite&utm_content=a.Tripp Lite - Tripp

I have actually had one of their units stop a lightening strike at an outdoor show.
The surge protector completely fried but none of the other gear was damaged.
Tripplite also replaced the protector free of charge. Tough to argue with that.

Thanks, Tony, which type/model do you own? I've not done outdoor gigs myself yet, but mostly indoors (some with sketchy power). I've not yet had any issues yet with my Furman, but wasn't sure of their replacement/warranty policy...will check in a minute...

EDIT: The TrippLite Iso (USA 120V 2/4 outlet) Series seems like a good choice. My Furman SSB6's warranty is just expired, so it might be wise to offload this to a donations box for someone else to make use of.

I've a contact from our local recycling group who regularly receives some of my cast-offs; he might better know whether he could make use of this or not. Will check with him later today...

Last edited:
We always used Isobar 6 and Isobar 8 ultras.
We would have 1 plugged into each 20 amp circuit,
run 3 or 4 across upstage to power the backline and
another 4 to 6 either offstage right or left depending
on where our power amps were.

This was for an all Crown amplified 19,000 watt FOH
and a 7,000 watt monitor system when maxxed out.
In smaller venues we would scale back of course.

We never had an Isobar fail to do it's job.

After I retired I sold pretty much everything
but I kept 1 Isobar 8 and 2 Isobar 6s.

(Hey, you never know...)

We always used Isobar 6 and Isobar 8 ultras.
We would have 1 plugged into each 20 amp circuit,
run 3 or 4 across upstage to power the backline and
another 4 to 6 either offstage right or left depending
on where our power amps were.

This was for an all Crown amplified 19,000 watt FOH
and a 7,000 watt monitor system when maxxed out.
In smaller venues we would scale back of course.

We never had an Isobar fail to do it's job.

After I retired I sold pretty much everything
but I kept 1 Isobar 8 and 2 Isobar 6s.

(Hey, you never know...)

Thanks again, Tony,

Just ordered a 6 outlet/10 ft cable Ultra-Iso Series. My feeling is this is safety first regards electronics, and especially with my digital modeling equipment, one might need to prevent hazards in outdoor weather, if the need ever occur.

My recycling buddy tells me he can use my old Furman for either his ham radio gear or his P&W group, maybe passing it on to someone who may be in need.

My feeling is that it's gorgeous weather locally, a lovely 72°F with partly cloudy skies; many folks are outdoors, taking in the sunshine and enjoying early spring...and my common sense tells me with warmer weather comes t-storms, so planning ahead regards my electronics equipment, being sure all is well-protected...

Last edited:
Mine are more consumer level, but they’ve been effective. I use a Furman PL-Pro DMC in my guitar rack. It has saved my, and my keyboard player’s, gear when bad wiring burned up amps on a Civic Center stage. I have two older Furman AR-1215 Regulators in the FOH and Monitor racks. They correct voltage in addition to stopping spikes, and work well on the computer systems that live sound gear is these days. The AR is no longer made, replaced by the P series, like the P-2400. I have not used the new ones.

I’ve seen some awesome international touring rig units, but the cost was prohibitive for me to consider.

Mine are more consumer level, but they’ve been effective. I use a Furman PL-Pro DMC in my guitar rack. It has saved my, and my keyboard player’s, gear when bad wiring burned up amps on a Civic Center stage. I have two older Furman AR-1215 Regulators in the FOH and Monitor racks. They correct voltage in addition to stopping spikes, and work well on the computer systems that live sound gear is these days. The AR is no longer made, replaced by the P series, like the P-2400. I have not used the new ones.

I’ve seen some awesome international touring rig units, but the cost was prohibitive for me to consider.

Man, does that bring back memories! Our old Thursday open-mic jam required a voltage regulator before the place did a renovation on their electrical. Old fuseboxes were replaced with a 15/20A circuit board. The place was notorious for experiencing their digital cash registers going offline because of intermittent power brown-outs. The only thing our open-mic jam could do to prevent our gear from doing the same was to employ a Furman voltage regulator, the same type as yours.

Once the venue's electrical was renovated with dedicated circuits, we didn't need the VR anymore...

My live rig is just my HeadRush Gigboard and FRFR108. Peripherals, just the surge protector and perhaps an extension cord connecting wall socket to surge protector.

(I did see that you're not supposed to connect additional power strips to the TrippLite, but theoretically, can connect sufficient gauge extension cords between wall socket and/or surge protector and devices requiring 110/115/120V.) I think I've got some 14 or 16 gauge cords that will work well with the TrippLite.

I think the Tripp Lite will do well; makes sense to opt for the less expensive 6 outlet device with the 10 foot cable that the 4 outlet and 8 foot cable (which costs more...?!)

My common sense teaches me that we all will face hardships of one kind or another in life. Minimizing these can be accomplished with a few preventive measures. The TrippLite will be one of these.

Last edited:
Man, does that bring back memories! Our old Thursday open-mic jam required a voltage regulator before the place did a renovation on their electrical. Old fuseboxes were replaced with a 15/20A circuit board The place was notorious for experiencing their digital cash registers going offline because of intermittent power brown-outs. The only thing our open-mic jam could do to prevent our gear from doing the same was to employ a Furman voltage regulator, the same type as yours.

Once the venue's electrical was renovated with dedicated circuits, we didn't need the VR anymore...
i had such good luck over such a long period that when I saw a guy had a NOS AR-1215J (the US/Japan voltage one), I bought it before I even needed it. Furman won’t even work on them anymore, so when they’re gone, they’re gone!

i had such good luck over such a long period that when I saw a guy had a NOS AR-1215J (the US/Japan voltage one), I bought it before I even needed it. Furman won’t even work on them anymore, so when they’re gone, they’re gone!

Yeah, that and Monster PRO 2500's. The PRO 2500 is my oldest piece that still holds a place in my audio rig. Whatever happened to Monster Power? Did Furman take over the industry?

Yeah, that and Monster PRO 2500's. The PRO 2500 is my oldest piece that still holds a place in my audio rig. Whatever happened to Monster Power? Did Furman take over the industry?
I’m not sure what happened to them. I saw the units AC/DC and David Gilmour were using from Kikusui and thought about getting one until I checked the price... ~$7500. Killed that idea quick! I guess I’ll go with the P-Series Furman when these give up.

I use a Furman P-1800 PFR. It has excellent filtering and surge protection, but with one very desirable added feature: it has a 45 Amp power reservoir that lets the amp get very fast current, faster than most wall AC outlets.

Does this matter?

Depends on the amp. With a very low power amp, maybe not. With my 100 Watt Mesa Lone Star, the difference is quite obvious, but I think my 30 and 50 Watt amps sound a bit better with it, too (HXDA, GD30, Fillmore 50).

I use a Furman P-1800 PFR. It has excellent filtering and surge protection, but with one very desirable added feature: it has a 45 Amp power reservoir that lets the amp get very fast current, faster than most wall AC outlets.

Does this matter?

Depends on the amp. With a very low power amp, maybe not. With my 100 Watt Mesa Lone Star, the difference is quite obvious, but I think my 30 and 50 Watt amps sound a bit better with it, too (HXDA, GD30, Fillmore 50).
I’ve got one of these, too. Thanks to Les raving about it. I love it.

I’m not sure what happened to them. I saw the units AC/DC and David Gilmour were using from Kikusui and thought about getting one until I checked the price... ~$7500. Killed that idea quick! I guess I’ll go with the P-Series Furman when these give up.

Yeah, Monster wasn't exactly being kind to us when they jacked the prices because of discontinuance of build and short supply.

Think it's time to go back to eating KFC and drinking a beer before spending $7500 on a surge protector/power conditioner...:confused:

:eek::eek:

I agree Shawn. I don’t understand why the master Serge-Protector himself has not chimed in. I mean ........... the guy swam across the Chesapeake Bay one year

Um, no disrespect, but this post/thread is not referring to Serg... just regards what power strips/surge protector/power conditioner/UPS devices you currently employ or have found to work well for you.

If you're going to ask why Serg has not spoken up...it's likely because he knows that 'surge' and 'Serg' are two distinct things.

My original post mentioned what is currently in use at my home...mostly referring to the Furman SSB6, UPS (plural), and rack mounts...

Last edited:
Um, no disrespect, but this post/thread is not referring to Serg... just regards what power strips/surge protector/power conditioner/UPS devices you currently employ or have found to work well for you.

If you're going to ask why Serg has not spoken up...it's likely because he knows that 'surge' and 'Serg' are two distinct things.

My original post mentioned what is currently in use at my home...mostly referring to the Furman SSB6, UPS (plural), and rack mounts...
Not to fear, just a little forum humor in there.

Back