Flat Wound vs Nickel Wound Strings - Experiment Over

I've played nickel flatwounds - many years ago, and I didn't mind them, actually. They just weren't my thing. Nice not to have the noise, of course.

- BUT -

I've switched from nickel plated strings like the D'Addario and PRS nickel plated strings to pure nickel. I love the pure nickel strings.

I got into guitar before the days of nickel plated steel, a formulation that didn't come out until the early '70s. For me, the nickels last longer than nickel-plated, sound rounder, and are probably easier on the frets.

Lately I've been playing the Sono Tone Vintage Pure Nickel, and they are superb, full-range strings with a bit brighter treble than most pure nickels. Can't tell you why, that's just the way they are. They have a nice feel, too. But I also plan to try a set of Pure Nickel Stringjoy strings, because why not try 'em all (yeah, the Pyramid nickels and D'Addario nickels are nice, too, but different)?

I'm a big fan of DR Pure Blues. Put 'em on everything.

Once, several years ago I decided to try flatwounds. I believe I was going to put them on my Epiphone Swingster. I looked at the price of a set and changed my mind.

A friend of mine had me do some setup work on their guitar. They'd put flatwound strings on it and they felt like the grimiest grittiest strings I'd ever touched. I thought they were 5 years old and needed replacing, not fresh strings.

So uh, yeah flatwounds are not my thing.

Back