Why spec 9’s vs. 10’s

Fats

Take the cannoli
Why are certain models spec’d out with strings that are 9’s vs. 10’s as issued? Of note, the Core Santana (retro) is issued with 10’s, and the Santana SE is issued with 9’s. I realize string size is a matter of taste, but my question is more around design and intention as issued. Appreciate thoughts.

It’s all about the intended customer and that customer’s perceptions.
Interesting perspective. You’re thinking PRS would decide to issue a given model with say 9-42’s because they are targeting a market segment that they think would favor 9’s? I’m likely overthinking the relevance of how models are issued. Appreciate the opine.

Interesting perspective. You’re thinking PRS would decide to issue a given model with say 9-42’s because they are targeting a market segment that they think would favor 9’s? I’m likely overthinking the relevance of how models are issued. Appreciate the opine.

I think PRS is thinking about how an SE on a Guitar Center wall compares to a Squier or Epiphone or Schecter. Is whomever picks it up for 2 minutes going to think it plays easier? Same with the paper-thin veneer tops. Those impressions, while perhaps not the substance of the guitar, likely drive a certain percentage of sales.

I’d be very surprised if they didn’t have some market research that heavily influenced the decision.

I think PRS is thinking about how an SE on a Guitar Center wall compares to a Squier or Epiphone or Schecter. Is whomever picks it up for 2 minutes going to think it plays easier? Same with the paper-thin veneer tops. Those impressions, while perhaps not the substance of the guitar, likely drive a certain percentage of sales.

I’d be very surprised if they didn’t have some market research that heavily influenced the decision.
Now that makes sense. Much appreciated. I have an ‘06 CU22, and original specs were 9-42’s and I use 10-46’s, and always thought I was running contrary to its’ “design”.

The core models used to ship with 9's on them. Many of us swapped them over to 10's as soon as we got them. PRS took note and changed to putting 10's on them from the factory. It is a business decision for sure. They are putting the strings on them that they think the target buyer would prefer. I am sure they have done the research on this since they already made the change once. If they get more information that says the SE line is getting swapped over to 10's right away, they will probably make that change too.

The core models used to ship with 9's on them. Many of us swapped them over to 10's as soon as we got them. PRS took note and changed to putting 10's on them from the factory. It is a business decision for sure. They are putting the strings on them that they think the target buyer would prefer. I am sure they have done the research on this since they already made the change once. If they get more information that says the SE line is getting swapped over to 10's right away, they will probably make that change too.
Aah true true... I was one who swapped over to 10's.

You really have to blame PRS... if they didn't make their guitfiddles so darn easy to play we wouldn't have moved up a gauge. :D

On a side note, when I sent my '03 HBII back to the factory for piezo repair, they asked what strings I wanted .. I said the stock 11's (meaning 11's with wound G) .. they sent it back with 11's setup for a plain G.

Aah true true... I was one who swapped over to 10's.

You really have to blame PRS... if they didn't make their guitfiddles so darn easy to play we wouldn't have moved up a gauge. :D

On a side note, when I sent my '03 HBII back to the factory for piezo repair, they asked what strings I wanted .. I said the stock 11's (meaning 11's with wound G) .. they sent it back with 11's setup for a plain G.
I even moved my HB PRS guitars down to 10's. The Piezo works just fine with 10's. I have used them at plenty of gigs to prove it. :) I have a couple of Piezo equipped solid body PRS guitars too. They came with 10's on them. I use the same strings on everything. The DGT went down to 10's when I got it as well.

I even moved my HB PRS guitars down to 10's. The Piezo works just fine with 10's. I have used them at plenty of gigs to prove it. :) I have a couple of Piezo equipped solid body PRS guitars too. They came with 10's on them. I use the same strings on everything. The DGT went down to 10's when I got it as well.
My Hollowbodies are all over the map in terms of strings…. 10’s on a couple, 11’s with plain G, 11’s with wound. My Archtops are running 12’s with wound G and 11’s with plain G. I enjoy them all.

I can play 10s just fine. Even 11s. But my arthritic fingers are more and more starting to prefer 9s or 9.5s. I've switched all my PRSs over to 9.5s and my Axis has 9s. The JP12BFR is due for a restring and it has 10s. It will get 9.5s next time.

The fingers are getting so bad that I'm considering moving my beautiful Taylor 614CE for something like a T5z. I'm getting ready to try 11s on it and if that doesn't save it I might actually sell it. Just can't handle those 13s any more!

I can play 10s just fine. Even 11s. But my arthritic fingers are more and more starting to prefer 9s or 9.5s. I've switched all my PRSs over to 9.5s and my Axis has 9s. The JP12BFR is due for a restring and it has 10s. It will get 9.5s next time.

The fingers are getting so bad that I'm considering moving my beautiful Taylor 614CE for something like a T5z. I'm getting ready to try 11s on it and if that doesn't save it I might actually sell it. Just can't handle those 13s any more!
I dropped my acoustic guitars down to 11's from 13's quite a while ago. It made them much easier to play.

I hear you on that one. I used to use .10s but I am down to Hybrid Slinkys: 9, 11, 16, 26, 36, 46 these days. I saw an interview with the Rev. Billy G. and he uses .008s. Hmmm.....

My small finger is starting to hook inward as well, which is starting to limit my ability to stretch using 3-nps. I can still make the F, G, A stretch on the low E, but some of the longer stretches on the higher frets are now literally out of reach.

All products are driven by marketing. I would be very, very surprised if PRS are not all over stats and customer trends. In the case of strings there will be no cost difference, so therefore comes down to other factors.

I have a 1985/86 Les Paul with 9’s. The SSH is 10’s and the DGT is 11’s. I haven’t played a lot recently due to work and kid, but when I pick them up I enjoy the “grip” I get from the bigger strings.

Back