First The Pickups, Now The Tuners (1994 Custom 22)

Rockabilly69

Well after I swapped the Dragon I tuners for Wolfetones ,I really fell for the 1994 PRS Custom 22 that I recently acquired. And since I am now going to be holding on to it forever, I thought I would address another complaint that was bugging me, and that was the tuners. I just didn't like the Phase I winged tuners. I think they are ugly, and a pain in the butt to use. But, because these tuners use a shared mounting hole, I had to find a replacement M6 body Schaller with the same 9 o'clock mounting orientation. As luck had it, I found an original set of Schaller Top Lockers from the early 90's that were just about mint and that would fit perfectly. Today I modded them up (the D and G tuners), and mounted them up! And they are fantastic, I could now install and tune six strings as fast as I could 2 strings with the winged tuners, plus I think they look WAY better...

stripped off the old winged tuners...
FZhiOHJ.jpg

ground down the mounting holes of two tuners for the D and G strings...
yfgPDXR.jpg

HxtnfZh.jpg

test fit and screwed on...
V53R84j.jpg

JVMAIq3.jpg

tuners mounted from the back first...
UvmjnCl.jpg

installing top lockers, and truss rod cover, polished the gold...
5OqEKvs.jpg

JrZnh26.jpg

before and after...
rdtWtRU.jpg

Mw7YCsg.jpg

That's called makin it your own! :)

Yeah that's what I'm doin' :) I need to order a Freeway switch and install that just to get one more tone (Humbuckers in Parallel) without losing the stock 5 tones which I love, and then I will be done!

What was once a guitar I had for sale is turning into a great guitar and a fun project!

I agree, it's a much cleaner look!

Much to Serg's consternation, PRS will modify your Phase 1 winged tuners to operate like Phase 2 top locker tuners. Customer service could provide more info. I dunno, seems like you already did your thing there, though.

Nice work, the winged tuners aren’t for everyone.
Not for me anyway :)

Real nice work there!
Thank You!

I agree, it's a much cleaner look!

Much to Serg's consternation, PRS will modify your Phase 1 winged tuners to operate like Phase 2 top locker tuners. Customer service could provide more info. I dunno, seems like you already did your thing there, though.
If I knew that to begin with I might have went that way, but I saw this set on reverb and I figured
with my Dremel tool it would take less than 10 minutes to mod them to work :) And they were reasonably priced!

At least he can put it back to original if he ever really wants to.
I keep all the original parts :)

Happy for you.
Thank You!

Happy for you.
Who are you, and what have you done with Sergio?

The Sergio I know would either give a proper butt kicking for the disrespecting of the much vaunted wing tuners, OR... would have already sent a PM offering to buy them!

This response above.... that ain't him!

The Sergio I know would either give a proper butt kicking for the disrespecting of the much vaunted wing tuners, OR... would have already sent a PM offering to buy them!

Hey now, our Sergio is nothing if not cordial.

He even gives an obligatory "Contrats" on blue NGD posts!

Yes, but, I always kind of hear them as someone saying "Congrats on your new car" when you just bought a Yugo. :D

I’ve heard that he’s put out a few contracts on blue guitars too, mainly for light exposure!;)

Yes, but, I always kind of hear them as someone saying "Congrats on your new car" when you just bought a Yugo. :D

Blaspheme!

Just kiddin’ .....way to make it your own

It’s the guitar version of “Bless your heart...”

You guys crack me up, it's just a set of tuners! Which work far better "FOR ME", that those pointy, ugly, contraptions, that covered up a lot of the nice looking mahogany on the headstock face!

Back