NuGD 1996 CE 24 Stoptail

RC Mike

I picked up a 1996 CE 24 today. It's an unusual one, with a stoptail, somewhat flamey neck, and all mahogany. I *think* it's a Regular neck, as the width at the nut is the same as my NF3. I don't recall reading about any CE 24s coming with a Regular neck then, though.

I found it on FBM, about half an hour away. The case is beat up, but the guitar is in really good shape with just "normal" nicks in the poly around a few spots on the edges. Frets are in great shape. The volume pot is a bit scratchy, but it's improved with a bit of exercise. Should be an easy fix.

I don't know that the pickups are VB and HFS, but they should be. I've played it for the last 45 minutes. I like it a lot so far. Later today or this week I'll give it a good cleaning, look under the hood, and put on some new strings. That'll be my first time using winged tuners, so that'll be something fun.

wwrr66W.jpg

omXkY3j.jpg

kxh7Her.jpg

Last edited:
I picked up a 1996 CE 24 today. It's an unusual one, with a stoptail, somewhat flamey neck, and all mahogany. I *think* it's a Regular neck, as the width at the nut is the same as my NF3. I don't recall reading about any CE 24s coming with a Regular neck then, though.

I found it on FBM, about half an hour away. Took about three weeks for the seller to decide that he was ok with taking $900 for it. The case is beat up, but the guitar is in really good shape with just "normal" nicks in the poly around a few spots on the edges. Frets are in great shape. The volume pot is a bit scratchy, but it's improved with a bit of exercise. Should be an easy fix.

I don't know that the pickups are VB and HFS, but they should be. I've played it for the last 45 minutes. I like it a lot so far. Later today or this week I'll give it a good cleaning, look under the hood, and put on some new strings. That'll be my first time using winged tuners, so that'll be something fun.

wwrr66W.jpg

omXkY3j.jpg

kxh7Her.jpg
Nice

That is a SUPERB looking guitar. Congrats!!! I really love the older CE models. Kind of a shame that the current CE is a shadow of its former greatness.

Tree pruning is easier with a stoptail.
Now that I've given it a try, I can see why. I went with a set of inexpensive EB strings, thinking I might hose it up on the first try. It went ok. Now that I know a bit more of how they work, I think I'll have it down next time.

GFRhVaT.jpg

Dibs if you ever sell!

I thought this might be right up your alley. Dunno about the neck, though. It is a Regular.

It'll be fun to compare this to my maple-top Mira. Both have the same neck.

qJ5Tdqh.jpg

Personal suggestion…..Dragon 1’s sound incredible in Standards and especially CE Mahogany’s.

That sounds like a nice idea. If I come across a set, this might be the guitar for them. Not sure my soldering skills are up to the task of working on the rotary, but there's room to improve.

So far I've cleaned it up and given it a quick setup. My 3-year old wanted to participate, so I taught him how to disassemble an old late-80s handheld video game while I worked. He had a good sense of accomplishment with taking the six screws holding it together out and putting it back together a few times. Knew to be gentle with the wires connecting the top and bottom, too. Perhaps the best lesson? Don't ever tap a tool on one of dad's guitars...:eek:

Back