First 2 gigs w/ the S2 Standard and Vela

gtrdave

n+1 is the correct value
My band had gigs this past Friday and Saturday and it was my first chance to use both PRS's in action, side by side. The shows went great, thanks for asking :), and the two guitars provided everything I needed in the way of tones and versatility.

The S2 Standard is definitely the more Les Paul-ish of the two. It's built for pure rock and roll and I use it on the heavier songs and anything requiring a vibrato bar. Plus, it's built from a heavier piece of mahogany and weighs a couple of pounds more than the similar-but-different Vela, so it has some beef to it.

The Vela is my "Strat". It's very light and it's very bright sounding compared to the Standard. A great guitar to use on Sultans of Swing or any Mayer song, especially when the humbucker is split. I'm really surprised by how little the guitar weighs and it's very comfortable to wear for an entire set.

Both necks are similar shape (pattern regular), but the nitro satin vs. acrylic gloss finishes give them a different feel. I definitely prefer the feel of the satin as it's just smooth as can be, but I can adjust to the acrylic finish easily enough as long as it is clean. We'll see how it goes when the heat and humidity arrive...

So, both guitars, along w/ my Godin A6 Ultra, give me every tone I need for every song we do and I'm very happy with my upgrade to these PRS guitars. Can't wait for the next gig in a couple weeks! :)

No surprise at all..you'll find the Vela to be far more versatile, as you use it more. It can cover pseudo-Tele type tones, and can really Rock if you play slide. If you have some time, read a few of my earlier posts, wherein I extoll the virtues and qualities of the Vela. I've been thinking about picking up a Godin A6...how close do they get to actual acoustic tones? Thanks for any advice you can give me...Enjoy the Vela, it is a high quality guitar!

I've been thinking about picking up a Godin A6...how close do they get to actual acoustic tones? Thanks for any advice you can give me...

This is my 2nd A6. My first was a non-Ultra and it had the L.R. Baggs electronics on-board and I think it sounded better than my current A6 Ultra, which has, I believe, some form of in-house electronics. Straight into a PA and it sounds okay, but you can tell it's a transducer system. It's a little quacky and favors the high end.
Run through a Baggs (or similar) preamp and it sounds much better, so I'd recommend one, but get a decent external preamp.

My older A6 could be plugged directly into a mixer and it sounded great, much like my '98 Seagull S6 w/ Baggs Duet system.

Report is in line with what I am hearing in youtube demos although the S2 Studio may do an even better job on "F" type tones.

Back