Fakes? or too good to be true?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Run as fast as you can!!!!
They even stole part of the GC logos!

FAKES FAKES FAKES
Oh that I would have enough hands to wrap them around all the necks of those who make such junk in this world!

I found this on MyLPForum regarding these:

"Hi peeps:

I'm new to this forum but felt I needed to tell this story. electricdiscountguitar dot com is a Chinese piracy manufacturer's rep. There is much to tell, and since they were evasive and non-transparent after I called them out, I told them I would post my story. Here it is, but I will try to keep this succinct.

I ordered a 3 humbucker Black Beauty Tuxedo style (3 pickups) with a Bigsby-like vibrato and a Jimi Page grease pen signature (#8) knowing full well it was a copy (they said via email it was made in Japan - sic) and possibly a pirated product. I did so since I can't afford a custom shop LP for $4000 USD. They use email only to communicate and paypal only as a payment method. Since ebay has had issues with pirated DVDs I figured PayPal (owned by ebay) would cover me if things didn't go well. They did in this case, but I can't guarantee that they will in the future. I received a refund. More below. I also figured that this guitar was made in the same factory as other copies so they probably had a decent product.

I received it 35 days after sending my paypal payment to their hotmail address. It was in shipped in a beer cooler styrofoam shipping container shaped like a guitar. It was all wrapped up in packing tape which gave the package some strength. They also wrapped the guitar itself in a padded plastic wrap, sent 1/4 inch cord and allen wrenches. The Jimi Page signature wasn't there as advertised, but it had a pirated "Gibson" logo on the Holly Veneer like headstock, originally covered up in black tape. It had a serial number trying to make it look like something made by Gibson in 2008 and it had a "Made in USA" stamped into the headstock. It also had a very badly made "Bigsby Licensed" plastic badge applied to the vibrato with a glue glob that shows outside the badge. When I asked them why it was taking so long to ship (originally promised 25 days), they said they had problems in custom since it said "Gibson". At least they were somewhat transparent about that. The plastic pieces used to cover electronics seem too flat and appear cheap vs. Epiphone or PRS SE. Odd choice.

The neck pickup did not work and the wiring seemed to possibly be Jimi Page like, but it seems like someone missed a beat when adding the third pickup OR that pickup is bad and the controls didn't blend well or consistently between the two working pickups (middle + bridge). I have not looked inside the guitar since I thought I was going to return it; that was their initial response in presales and they echoed that when I complained. But of course that's expensive and they eventually admitted that I couldn't clear customs, either here in the US or there in China. Probably because they would be caught shipping pirated guitars. I don't know how all this works. What I found is that this company is very non-transparent and tell you what it takes to close the sale. Most of their customer service was inefficient, inaccurate and outright deceitful until I called them out and eventually they agreed to a partial refund. If you look at the web site, etc. this is consistent and expected. The marginal English skills were not a problem. We could communicate well via email, they just were double-speaking me on purpose until I threatened to escalate, which I had to do eventually.

If you look at whois for the web site, you see TONY LEE listed, which is a well-known music store in Hong Kong. Yet the telephone numbers and addresses listed are bogus according to a friend I have there who looked them up. The email addresses don't match either between what they use (hotmail) and what's listed for the web site (gmail). Circumstantial, but still consistent with evasiveness.

What is surprising is how good are some of the aspects of the guitar. The neck, binding and paint job seem prettty good. The all gold hardware seem OK. I am worried about longevity of the truss rod, etc, but it's heavy and seems to have really hot pickups (those that work). The gold mock Bigsby seems to work OK. The gold tuners are labeled Grover and although also lkely bogus, seem to work well. The gold bridge seems OK with adjustable intonation and neck relief seem pretty good out of the box and shipped in winter conditions across the globe. The nut matches the binding and is plastic. Frets feel great (dressed). Fretboard feels great. Staying in tune has been a slight problem initially as I stretch the strings out (only had a few days), but I can't point to this guitar for that problem yet as it may be a function of the design of a Bigsby style set up (I've been wanking the vibrato a lot and it has gone out of tune...). In one exchange with this vendor, they appeared to take great pride in the quality of this guitar. That being said, I'm not clear that they really know what they are doing due to all the bad decisions they made in marketing and servicing their instruments.

This company is very confused about what could possibly be a successful offering. Great copies would sell, but they choose to mislabel and very awfully end up leading you to believe everything they do is suspect and deceitful. I predict that in a few years an average guitar player will not be able to tell the difference if they keep going like this (they can only get better). They have all the major brands listed (e.g. PRS, Ricky, Fender, Gretsch, Ibanez, ESP, Jackson). They even list saxophones. Caveat Emptor"

It is illegal to market counterfeit goods, to misappropriate trademarks, etc. Period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back