Europe getting all the good SE stuff.

John Beef

Opaque
First there was the Chris Robertson sig SE. USA 57/08 in the bridge and a P-90 in the neck of a SE245. Very cool, want! WANT!

Then, they started making the Bernie Marsden SE again. I would love to play one of these as everyone raves about them, but once again, only in Europe.

Now, maple neck and fretboard SE Custom 24s. I would love a PRS with a maple neck and fretboard! They're only available in Europe though.

https://blog.andertons.co.uk/guitars/prs-maple-neck-se-custom-24

PRS-Maple-Neck-24-SE-News.jpg

Wowzers, those look real purty!

Maybe the maple thing is an experiment with avoiding the hassles now occurring from Rosewood? Maybe we'll see more of these, and on the US Factory side of the pond?

I think I'd be a bigger fan if the neck was left natural and the headstock left natural.

Europe doesn’t get all the good SE’s.... Japan does too! And all the cool Core guitars.

Whatever... We’ll just have to be satisfied with all the Brazilian stuff and a pile of Cores at better prices.

Sweet mother of GOD....I have been waiting for this moment...
I just hope that they release these in the states...
I am a bit shocked, as the overseas market seems to always get the really cool stuff first, and sometimes exclusively ( SE Chris Robertson, SE Exotic Tops, now SE all maple necks.)
I'm not gonna lie, and this may sound childish but it kind of bums me out.... I am a PRS guy through and through. I also completely understand that it's not impossible to order from overseas, it's just more expensive and a hassle in certain regards.
Let's just hope PRS takes care of their home turf as well...
C'mon dealers, order a run of these for us!

Last edited:
Japan tends to get all the craziest finishes, and exotic wood tops are definitely some people's thing, but for sure, Europe is getting the best functional/tonal tweaks. Maple necks and fretboard just sound different. Humbucker bridge pickup with a P-90 neck pick is the best pickup combo. And everyone raves about how good the Bernie sounds.

The SE Customs have had maple necks for several years, so tonally I don't think these are a big change. They're still pretty darn cool, though.

The SE Customs have had maple necks for several years, so tonally I don't think these are a big change. They're still pretty darn cool, though.
The maple fretboard will feel completely differently, though, and has to add a bit of spank to it, since ebony changes the tone of a guitar compared to the more-common-for-PRS rosewood.

For the record, all SE Custom 24's have a maple neck, so the maple board is the big difference here.

This is how the limited run SE thing works. A dealer or distributor can order a customized run of guitars for themselves, but they have to commit to a specific number of guitars. Obviously we can't do one-offs or a run of 10 guitars and keep the prices down. Customization means more labor and more labor means a higher selling price. A couple of dealers in the US have done customized SE's runs in the past and the guys in Europe have done several limited runs as well. PRS isn't preventing these models from hitting stateside. If there is enough demand, a dealer will step up and commit to a run.

For the record, all SE Custom 24's have a maple neck, so the maple board is the big difference here.

This is how the limited run SE thing works. A dealer or distributor can order a customized run of guitars for themselves, but they have to commit to a specific number of guitars. Obviously we can't do one-offs or a run of 10 guitars and keep the prices down. Customization means more labor and more labor means a higher selling price. A couple of dealers in the US have done customized SE's runs in the past and the guys in Europe have done several limited runs as well. PRS isn't preventing these models from hitting stateside. If there is enough demand, a dealer will step up and commit to a run.

True, I recently picked up a Sweetwater limited run flat black 277 (and it is glorious). So, we do have something cool stateside those folks across the pond with the funny accents don't get.

However, what about sig models available in Europe that aren't available here? That's got to be a PRS decision.

Back