Eugene Paolo Artist Endorsement guitar

Dusty Chalk

alberngruppenführer
Not mine, obvs, just thought I'd share.
Wouldn't mind a translation if anyone is up to it. I think I got the pups and the woods. Is that the normal thickness for an Archtop II?

I'm going to start practicing more.

Just ran across that the other day. Beautiful guitar and seems like a great player(have to dig up some of his work). It's very similar to a PS Wild West Guitars did awhile back/

Nice axe, good jazz tones, a little on the bright side but still in that zone.
Eugene Pao is the best jazz cat in Hong Kong, when jazz artists tour asia and hit HK, he's usually in the mix and has played with Chick Corea & Michael Brecker.
(Yea, I'm a jazz nerd and actually heard of this guy before)

There's a lot of really talented musicians over there, I just watched a live set of Guthrie Govan in Korea where an all Korean backup band learned his set and performed at a pretty high level. Impressive.
The bass player was baddass!!!

I love that bright tone -- I know, "bright" is not the same as "detailed", but the two are related. But that's exactly what I want. (Well...) I realize it's not the most typical jazz tone, but it's probably the second most typical. Also, I'm not a jazzer, so I don't have to follow any prescriptions.

Actually I think jazz players are a little too muddy most of the time but it's a trade off. A lot of times it boils down to the tone knob on your axe no matter how much you EQ the amp and when you roll up the highs you lose the rich mids & lows, and vice-versa, roll off the highs and lose detailed articulation. Being able to balance that *sometimes* is more important than the level of your gear.

On top of that a great portion of the jazz cats that came after Wes & Joe Pass, like Al D, Larry Carlton, Mike Stern and John Scofield all have a brighter sound.................
.............Well, with the exception of Pat Metheny and that chorus laden underwater tone.:p ........a genius, but muddy as hell.

I'll take a stab at it:

I'm Eugene and I'm very happy to receive this guitar, specially made for me by Paul Reed Smith.

Keith and Frankie Lee asked if I (Eugene) would like to offer my endorsement (of a PRS guitar). Of course, I said I would be very happy to do so. I have been playing a PRS semi-hollow for the last ten years and my name already appears on PRS's online list of PRS artistes. I waited one year and then I received this guitar (Archtop II). I have to give many thanks to Keith for looking me up and letting me know that PRS was interested in making a guitar for me. Yes, I was keen on that. They asked me for my specifications and I thought about what would make my dream PRS guitar. I said, oh dear, I don't know anything about what goes into making a good guitar. I only know what sounds good when I play it and I am satisfied. I went online to do some research and saw some Private Stock guitars. I saw online photographs of this guitar (Archtop II) with this colour. I had no idea it would be so thick (body depth). Actually, this model had been discontinued. This model was called the Archtop II. Because I play a lot of jazz, my heart told me to look for a fully hollow body, not a semi-hollow. The one I had played for the last ten years was a semi so I was happy (to receive this). Even though the model was discontinued, they (PRS) made it especially for me.

Keith: It is an Archtop II model. It measures about 2.5 inches (at the rim). Indeed, what's special about it is the neck. It is made of a wood called Ziricote and you can see that the grain resembles the grain of Brazilian Rosewood. Truth be known, it is harder than any Rosewood, coming close to Ebony. So, it is more stable than rosewood, steadier.

Eugene: Brazilian Rosewood has no permits (for international trade) ...

Keith: Yes, yes. That is why if you require a beautiful wood (like the forbidden Brazilian Rosewood) you require wood such as Ziricote as a substitute. Quilted maple top, curly maple side, quilted maple bottom. It has a very special finish, a triple toned finish...

Eugene: Triple Faded. Like a washed pair of cowboy trousers (jeans). Triple Faded Denim.

Keith: Looks like water in a lake. Very attractive.

Eugene: It has the latest piezo system. Has a nice sound.

Keith: It has the piezo system that is the best sounding on the market today.

Eugene: LR Baggs...

Keith: LR Baggs. These inlays are Private Stock inlays. These inlays are only used on Paul's own Private Stock. The inlays on the fretboard are the 20th Anniversary inlays. They are of mother of pearl and hence very attractive. The colours are beautiful.

Eugene: Now, the pickups are called Archtop pickups. They are not exactly like the ones found in the ordinary ones (points to the PRSs hanging behind him). This is for the neck (twiddles neck volume knob and switch). This is for the...

Keith: piezo.

Eugene: piezo. Sounds beautiful. In the middle position, you can mix them, magnetic and piezo mix. In the bottom position, it goes back to magnetic. It is similar to other PRSs with the piezo system where it (the signal) is split into two outputs. You could plug into the M and mix or you could plug into P solely and possibly, feed it to a PA or an acoustic guitar amp.

6:20 mark: plays a few licks.

Eugene: Very pleased to see it signed on the back (of the headstock). Yes, a one-off.

Keith: Yes, one-off.

Eugene: However, you could through their Private Stock programme order one. Just tell them you want these specs and they will make one for you.

Keith: They would make one, in high probability. They have got to see if they have the wood for it.

7:00 mark: plays a riff.

Eugene: It is very easy to play. The neck feels slim. The last one I had the neck was not made out of a solid billet of wood. It was made much like these others (points to ones hanging behind him). This one has a much different feel compared to those others. This one has a sound that is a lot more acoustic. That's because it is fully hollow. It feels heavier because it is thicker; it uses more wood. It is very suitable for the stuff I play which is mostly jazz. I play a lot of jazz gigs.

Eugene: This guitar is not set up to play "machine-gun" stuff like classic rock. Set up for jazz with 011 gauge strings. Takes more effort to play. When playing classic rock, I use a Les Paul.

Eugene: I am ecstatic. Without paying a dime, I get an endorsement and a guitar with my name on it. Over the moon.

Last edited:
Thanks! And: nice -- I get to live vicariously all over again. Hmm...I may have to steal that as a band name...Vicariously Born-Again. It would, of course, be ironic. Ooh, I know, it'll be the name of my posthumously released anthology.

Back