Early PRS Experts Help Needed

Redfone

Hi guys

Happy to be able to be part of this community and look forward to getting to know the place a bit better.

I have had had a few PRS over my life time, but none as early as this one. According to the serial she's a 94 and I am assuming a Custom 24. She has been around the block a few times, someone has put a Seymour Duncan in the bridge and she has short neck heel.

Just wanted to know if she is legit, I have never owned a PRS with so little writing in the pickup cavity or without a Modcat.

Picked led her up for $1000 AUD. What do you guys think, legit?
imagejpg7_zps5762818a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
imagejpg3_zps72278445.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
imagejpg5_zpsb0614955.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
imagejpg2_zpsbbcf87d7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
imagejpg4_zps43c8ced4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
imagejpg1_zpsd3c5f95a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Looks like a standard-issue Cu24, from 1994, non-10-top, moons not birds. I think the MODCAT thing started a bit later. Maybe someone else can comment...

Nice color! A good, slightly understated PRS. Good price, for Down Under, from what I gather...

How's it play?

Enjoy it!!
Only things I see is a new bridge pickup, as you say, and a non original 3-way switch. This one most probably had the 5 way rotary originaly.

Nice buy! Looks totally legit to me. I think Black Cherry is one of the most underrated PRS finishes. I've always liked it, but have never owned one. Which Duncan does it have?

Welcome aboard, always great to have more Aussies around. Great score too, If I had of seen that one I prob would have grabbed it (I'm looking for a vessel for some \m/ pickups)

Hi guys, thanks for the comments and the validation. She plays great considering the condition she's in. Absolutely filthy, don't think the fretboard has ever had a wipe down. I am going to clean her up, dress the frets and give her a full setup. The bridge pickup has been changed to a SD Alnico II pro.
As far as price for DownUnder, it's the cheapest Custome 24 I have ever seen. Hell, I've seen SE's selling for more than this second hand.

g'day Mr Redphone. I have a 1988 CU24 that also only has the serial number and colour in the bridge pickup cavity so don't let the lack of scribbling worry you. Looks great, hope you enjoy it. Of course, if you happen to come accross another at that price feel free to send them my way......

Back