DG30 vs DG50

I wouldn't have minded adding the DG50 head , they are around but the Paisely was a must have and it's nice to have a little variety.

Now I'll have to decide to keep the EL34's or go to 6L6's in the Blue Sierra
It'll be a lot of fun to experiment!

I like the leaner sound of the EL34s in some amps, and the juicier lower mids with 6L6's in other amps. And 5881s usually float my boat, where 6V6s I haven't really loved.

The DG30 is the first EL84M amp I've had. In general, I haven't kept standard EL84 amps more than a couple of years, but the DG30 does something different. Maybe it's the M tubes, but most likely, just the design.

Though I still have a latent jones for an early '60s AC30 or Matchless, either of which would be fun to have around.

Thing about an AC30 or Matchless, is that the lower frequencies are attenuated (or filtered out). That's what creates the chime, but also undermines my ability to commit to the amps. On the other hand, in the right context nothing's more useful (looking at you, British Invasion or U2 sound!).

The DG30 is full-range. I can cut the bass with an EQ pedal and get that AC30 vibe going without the drawbacks.

Last edited:
I wouldn't have minded adding the DG50 head , they are around but the Paisely was a must have and it's nice to have a little variety.

Now I'll have to decide to keep the EL34's or go to 6L6's in the Blue Sierra
Interesting about the Paisley.

It is pretty, so I understand your search for it. I prefer the tolex covering. Easier to keep clean. Cloth has to be vacuumed. Not that I wouldn't vacuum, mind you, just that it's another OCD pain in the behind I wouldn't look forward to! ;)

Back