DG30 vs DG50

nussbajh

So this is how I change away from “New Member”
Anyone have an insight into the difference in tone between the two amps? Is it just overhead or is there something more?

Thanks.

John

I’ve heard the 50 leans a little more to the plexi side, where the 30 has more influence from a variety of amps. Have not tried them, though.

They're fundamentally different beasts in some ways, and similar in others..

One key difference between the two amps is that the Master Volume on the DG30 is pre-phase inverter, and that on the DG50 is post-phase inverter. Why does this matter?

A pre-phase inverter Master Volume control not only affects the output stage of the amp, it also affects preamp gain; where the post-phase inverter MV operates more like the MVs you find on most amps, like Mesas, etc.

So with the DG30 you might have to adjust the gain and tone controls after setting the Master to get your tone right. On the plus side, it's a bit more tweakable in some ways.

The DG30 has a top cut control, like an AC30. This lets you get very tweaky with your higher frequencies, because you can, for example, boost treble and/or presence, and use the cut control to further shape the tone. The net effect is like using both the boost and cut controls on a vintage Pultec EQ, where you can create different kinds of response curves using boost and cut (and why an EQ designed in the 1950s in good condition goes for $10-20k.

The boost/normal on the DG30 selects a different voltage division in an important gain stage. It kind of reminds me of having two slightly different amps, one more badass than the other already badass amp. There's also a presence control.

The DG50 doesn't have presence, top cut, or boost/normal controls or switches. It has two rectifier tubes, where the DG30 hasn't got a tube rectifier.

The 50 might be a little more toward Marshall, but like the 30, it's still got the tone stack similar to Grissom's HiWatt, if memory serves. You might want to check with PRS on that.

So, to recap:

The 50 is the more 'turn it on and do your usual thing' amp. The DG30 takes a little more time and does a different thing. At first, I was Unfrozen Cave Man Guitar Player with the DG30, and it took me a little while to figure out. Once I 'grokked' the amp, it became, "How did I ever live without this?"

Last edited:
Les
They're fundamentally different beasts in some ways, and similar in others..

One key difference between the two amps is that the Master Volume on the DG30 is pre-phase inverter, and that on the DG50 is post-phase inverter. Why does this matter?

A pre-phase inverter Master Volume control not only affects the output stage of the amp, it also affects preamp gain; where the post-phase inverter MV operates more like the MVs you find on most amps, like Mesas, etc.

So with the DG30 you might have to adjust the gain and tone controls after setting the Master to get your tone right. On the plus side, it's a bit more tweakable in some ways.

The DG30 has a top cut control, like an AC30. This lets you get very tweaky with your higher frequencies, because you can, for example, boost treble and/or presence, and use the cut control to further shape the tone. The net effect is like using both the boost and cut controls on a vintage Pultec EQ, where you can create different kinds of response curves using boost and cut (and why an EQ designed in the 1950s in good condition goes for $10-20k.

The boost/normal on the DG30 selects a different voltage division in an important gain stage. It kind of reminds me of having two slightly different amps, one more badass than the other already badass amp. There's also a presence control.

The DG50 doesn't have presence, top cut, or boost/normal controls or switches. It has two rectifier tubes, where the DG30 hasn't got a tube rectifier.

The 50 might be a little more toward Marshall, but like the 30, it's still got the tone stack similar to Grissom's HiWatt, if memory serves. You might want to check with PRS on that.

So, to recap:

The 50 is the more 'turn it on and do your usual thing' amp. The DG30 takes a little more time and does a different thing. At first, I was Unfrozen Cave Man Guitar Player with the DG30, and it took me a little while to figure out. Once I 'grokked' the amp, it became, "How did I ever live without this?"
Les,

Thank you for all of this insight. I was most hopeful you would respond to this with your wisdom. I feel like few people understand and have the depth of experiences with many of the amps love by this forum that you do. This was very helpful.

John

the DG30 uses a 5AR4 rectifier. this is from the PRS site
dg_30_tube_chart.jpg

Last edited:
The Blue Sierra ( arriving tommorow!!) has 2 EL 34's with 3ECC83s (12AX7) and an 12AT7 for Reverb with 50 W , so 4 in the DG50 is different ...

I think I’m developing a family of EL34 amps. I have the HXDA50, Archon 50 (came stock with EL34s), and now I have GAS for a DG50. Would the DG50 give me enough change from the other amps to make sense? It sounds like the DG30 might be better for range of tone.

I wouldn't have minded adding the DG50 head , they are around but the Paisely was a must have and it's nice to have a little variety.

Now I'll have to decide to keep the EL34's or go to 6L6's in the Blue Sierra

Crazy stuff.
My Fryette Sig:X has 2 KT88 power tubes and is 100w. Their Deliverance 100w runs on 4 KT88 power tubes.
Cathode biased amps (sometimes mis-named Class A, which is often a different thing) are less efficient than the other types, like more typical ABs. They have a different sound, too.

I've had several. My HXDA 30W isn't Cathode biased, but the B-rails are different (according to PRS), and it's also 30W with 2 EL34s. MY HXDA 50 had two EL34s as well, but put out 50 Watts.

Back