Debating Which CE 24 to Buy

jeff5

I'm in the market for another PRS and am looking to buy a CE 24. I know the differences between the new models, post 1995 and pre 1995 and they are all great, just different. I'm just on the fence for which to buy. I'd love some opinions on which you prefer or even just which you have (I know lots of folks have multiple from different eras) and what you like about them, their tonal characteristics, etc.

Thanks,
Jeff

I’ve got a 2017, and two things stand out to me. The thin satin nitrocellulose lacquered neck is the best I have played on any guitar. It feels amazing and is very fast. I don’t think I would ever be happy with a glossy neck again. And the 85/15 pickups are amazing - very articulate with plenty of tonal variations. To me, this is almost the perfect guitar. I just ordered the Mann Made NOS2000 bridge for it, which will make it the perfect guitar. :D

I can chime in as I recently brought home a 1998 CE24. I was originally out looking for newer CE24s as I was wanting the green version I stumbled upon. A few local shops had them and some used one's to check out. I was pretty cold after playing a specific used one, but then a local deal came up on the 98. I was a fan of the deeper carve on the 98, and the deal was too good to pass up. It needs a little loving, but the neck feels and plays amazing. I will admit, the newer CE's satin neck was also pretty perfect. Mine has been mod'ed a bit, but I love the clean tones I'm getting from the neck pup. I think I'll be buying a drop in kit soon to set it up with a toggle and coil split on the tone pot. For now, she has been seeing the most play time...

DSCF0910-2 by cxcxsx, on Flickr

I don't think you can really go wrong either way. I likely would've went home with a new CE24 if the floor models at GC didn't all have messed up pots. They all spun free with little to no resistance. I think someone must've been pretty rough with them.

I have three 97s. First ce22 rotary trem and dragon 1s. Bought it cheap on ebay. It's kind of a beater but I LOVE IT. Dragon 1's are just fantastic pickups and really can be dialed in to do a lot of different things.

I realize you did not say ce22 but I bring it up because it' got a beefy neck and I'm not sure dragon 1s were offered in the ce24.

I got a ce24 that has push pulls on both Vol and Tone pots. I ended up sending it to PTC for a refret and it turned out great.

I never cared for HFS that it came with so I've played around with different pickups but it is really comfortable to play. I did opt for a mann trem and a bunch of rosewood bling. It's emerald so there's that!

Sadly I can't say I would pony up for a new ce24 but I would possibly pick up one used if it went cheap. I want to like it but the body carve on the core guitars is intoxicating and it bums me out that the new ones don't have that.

To be fair I've never played one so maybe if I did I might form a better opinion but in my defense there are SOOOO many prs models I want that it's silly to put much lust into one that is just ok.

I forgot to add this, I have 8515s in my Mccarty. The bridge is pretty good but the neck pickup is to die for. The Cleaner you run it the better it sounds.

5909 bridge 8515 neck= best pickup. Combo ever!

I can chime in as I recently brought home a 1998 CE24. I was originally out looking for newer CE24s as I was wanting the green version I stumbled upon. A few local shops had them and some used one's to check out. I was pretty cold after playing a specific used one, but then a local deal came up on the 98. I was a fan of the deeper carve on the 98, and the deal was too good to pass up. It needs a little loving, but the neck feels and plays amazing. I will admit, the newer CE's satin neck was also pretty perfect. Mine has been mod'ed a bit, but I love the clean tones I'm getting from the neck pup. I think I'll be buying a drop in kit soon to set it up with a toggle and coil split on the tone pot. For now, she has been seeing the most play time...

DSCF0910-2 by cxcxsx, on Flickr

I don't think you can really go wrong either way. I likely would've went home with a new CE24 if the floor models at GC didn't all have messed up pots. They all spun free with little to no resistance. I think someone must've been pretty rough with them.
That is pretty!

Thanks for all the opinions! I haven't played any CE 24s except a new one that I was able to play at Guitar Center the other day. It felt and sounded great. I will say that I am more used to finished necks/gloss necks as that is what my CU 24 and Hamer have, but I could get used to the satin neck very easily.

I do worry about the bridge and tuners on the newer models, but honestly all I've read is that there are no issues with tuning stability and like some of you have said you can upgrade to the Mann Made bridge if you want. One thing that does intrigue me about the older models is the Alder bodies and associated tonal difference than the CU 24. I realize the CE is a maple neck and bolt on so that alters the tone too regardless of the body. Still, I want something tonally different than my CU 24 and I don't know if one of the newer CEs, or the post 95 with mahogany bodies will be too close to it.

I went on a CE buying spree recently and have another on the way. I've got a '06 CE24, a '96 CE22 and an '89 CE. The best sounding by far is the CE22 with dragon pickups. My favorite is the '89 because it plays better than any guitar I have and the alder/maple combo makes it really snappy. The '06 is great too, but the HFS ranks third on my preferences. Like the previous posters said, the CE-22s will have a wide fat neck, so you need to know if you really like those necks or prefer a thinner neck (which I love). And the older models will mostly have a rotary (which I also love) but most guys prefer a toggle so you might want to look for a really old one or one with the toggle option. Or if you like the looks of the new ones like was also previously stated the 85/15s are awesome pickups and they have a blade switch. But if I got a new one it would probably be the Dustie Waring because it looks so bad@$$.

most guys prefer a toggle so you might want to look for a really old one or one with the toggle option. Or if you like the looks of the new ones like was also previously stated the 85/15s are awesome pickups and they have a blade switch.

The new ones have a toggle and push-pull coil splitting, which is good because I’m not fond of blade switches.

I was very tempted by this Standard Satin model. The simple finish is distinctive and was cheaper too

Sept16_LNU_PRS_CE24_WEB2.jpg

I’ve got a 2017, and two things stand out to me. The thin satin nitrocellulose lacquered neck is the best I have played on any guitar. It feels amazing and is very fast. I don’t think I would ever be happy with a glossy neck again. And the 85/15 pickups are amazing - very articulate with plenty of tonal variations. To me, this is almost the perfect guitar. I just ordered the Mann Made NOS2000 bridge for it, which will make it the perfect guitar. :D

This... exactly this.

The new CE24 (with satin neck) and Mann bridge, is the perfect guitar - IMO.
I say that, because I have one...

I know lots of folks replace the bridges on the newer CEs. How essential is this? I'd be interested in people who haven't, and what your experiences are. Tone, tuning stability, etc. Or even before and after results. Thanks!

Jeff

I have a newer CE and have not replaced the bridge. Tuning stability is fantastic. Tone on the guitar is fantastic although I have not played one with a US bridge. I would consider upgrading to a US bridge but probably more for the cool factor. I'm not sure I could really tell the difference in tone???.

Regarding the older CE's, I've heard the newer versions have nicer tops (as in more figured). However, the old CE's have a much more impressive top carves. I was going to buy an older one just for this but ended up going with a new one just because I lived the 85/15 pickups and didn't have to worry about fixing fret issues or setups. But from what I can tell, those older CE's are fantastic! (as are the new ones.)

Back