Custom 24 wiring

merciful-evans

Portsmouth uk
Hi,
I have a SE Custom 24. Its fine, punches above its weight and the sound is excellent. There is a possibility (long long story) though of getting a core version.

However I'm a bit concerned about the pickup wiring. I prefer using the neck pickup coil tapped. I can do that on the SE, but cores are wired differently.

The (existing) core switch config is (according to 1 site) as follows
  • Position One: Bridge humbucker
  • Position Two: Bridge humbucker with neck singlecoil, in parallel
  • Position Three: Bridge and neck humbuckers
  • Position Four: Neck singlecoil with bridge singlecoil, in parallel
  • Position Five: Neck humbucker
I realise the existing wiring is to minimize noise, but I would rather have the tone I prefer & put up with a bit of hum.

Re-wiring a brand new guitar also goes against my instincts. I would have to get it done by a tech as I am useless with circuitry.

Maybe I should I forget about a core Custom24 and look at something else. Right now, your Ideas / suggestions are invited.

Thanks

Mod away if that's what works for you! I had my wiring mod worked most of the way out long before I actually bought my Custom 22. Actually, knowing that I could mod it to get all the split tones was a prerequisite before buying a guitar with the blade. I had the soldering iron out in no time!

No reason you can't convert a Core Custom to a three-way blade with push/pull, or you can get fancier and keep the five-way and fo for 8 tones.

Back