Custom 24 Upper Register Gripe

Mole351

Anyone else have issues making notes ring on the upper frets of the custom 24? Specifically 19 and above on the 3 highest strings. I'm trying to learn a song where I have to hit some of those notes and have to press really hard to get the notes to sound (flat part of one finger to fret multiple strings at once) - and even then it sounds flat or I usually mess it up. Didn't think much of it until and that it was just me needing to improve how I play the song, but then tried the same song on my LP and strat and both are considerably easier to make the notes sound up there - every time (especially the LP - maybe there's more space between the frets?)

Anyone have same issue?

Last edited:
I had that on my Low E after I lowered the action. I turned the set screws down 1/4 turn to raise the saddle a little. The string rings true throughout the scale now.

Yes I have noticed this with my Custom 24 compared to my DGT, LP and Tele the upper frets seem dead by comparison.

I can make the notes ring ok when fretting one note with one finger(tip) but not so much when having to bar 2 notes together

I can make the notes ring ok when fretting one note with one finger(tip) but not so much when having to bar 2 notes together
I just don’t try to get two strings with one fingervup that high. The string length is so short by the time you get there that a small movement while fretting has a magnified impact.

I just don’t try to get two strings with one fingervup that high. The string length is so short by the time you get there that a small movement while fretting has a magnified impact.

Unfortunately I have to for this particular passage. It's a sweep of sorts

Anyone else have issues making notes ring on the upper frets of the custom 24? Specifically 19 and above on the 3 highest strings. I'm trying to learn a song where I have to hit some of those notes and have to press really hard to get the notes to sound (flat part of one finger to fret multiple strings at once) - and even then it sounds flat or I usually mess it up. Didn't think much of it until and that it was just me needing to improve how I play the song, but then tried the same song on my LP and strat and both are considerably easier to make the notes sound up there - every time (especially the LP - maybe there's more space between the frets?)

Anyone have same issue?

How's your setup? Maybe there's a little bit of back bow on the neck?

As far as fret space, the Strat will have the most and the Les Paul the least due to the different scale lengths.

Reactions: Tag
How's your setup? Maybe there's a little bit of back bow on the neck?

As far as fret space, the Strat will have the most and the Les Paul the least due to the different scale lengths.

I think the setup is ok - will double check though. Seems odd - I know the LP has the shortest scale length but my fingers seem to fit better between the frets up there on it than the C24. Honestly that seems to be the issue to me - but probably perception due to the notes not sounding.

I think the setup is ok - will double check though. Seems odd - I know the LP has the shortest scale length but my fingers seem to fit better between the frets up there on it than the C24. Honestly that seems to be the issue to me - but probably perception due to the notes not sounding.
Had the same issue a couple years ago...had one passage that required frets 22-24. Setup the guitar fresh with new strings, adjusted neck and bridge, and it still sounded dead and dull. I've come to the conclusion that it was probably my fat finger user error...I'm sure Vinnie Vincent would have no issues :)

The problem is the strings are so close to the upper frets that they dampen the string vibration and the strings don't ring clear. You can do one or both of these things. Raise the action, or add a little bow to the neck. You have to get the strings away from the upper frets. It is especially bad if the frets you are playing on are worn a little and the 24th fret is never played so it doesn't wear. If you wanted to file away that fret it would help, but as a test just raise the action and see what it does.

No issues here! Even my SE Cu24 sings all the way up and down the fretboard. I've got a solo in one of my band's original songs that requires a substantial bend on the 21st fret of the high E. Always soars up like a dream.

It is possible due to the ergonomics of the LP that you angle your hand differently on the LP than you do on the PRS - try to mimic that and see if it makes a difference

I get that on my CE24 but I'm sure it's because I lowered the action quite a bit. Neck is straight but certain notes don't ring as well as others and a few will generate a harmonic that kills the sustain

A possibility to consider one of the pickups is too close to the strings, I actually ran into this problem Once. the guitar seem to play fine in the middle of the fretboard, It was due to experimenting with raising and lowering the pickups. the slight loss of sustain Wasn't as noticeable in the middle but was magnified the closer I got to fret 22. I finally put it on a bench and started looking at it the string was actually almost touching the magnet.

So the more I play the guitar and intentionally play the upper frets since I've noticed this issue - all of the notes ring fine unless playing this one passage in the song I'm learning where fretting 2 strings with my ring finger in a certain fingering position what allows me to sweep down the strings. I think it's more a result of my tiny fingers and ergonomics. Just odd that playing the same passage on the other guitars there is no issue.

Guitars with trems sometimes create harmonics that can kind of deaden certain upper frets. PRSs seem a bit more susceptible to it than Strats, but they both do it. Stop tails do not do it. Even so, the liveliness you get from a trem is worth it imo.

I will bet if you add just a small amount of relief to your neck the notes will ring out better, there is just so little string mass up there that the littlest thing makes a huge difference. I find my 24s a bit harder to set up compared to the 22s in general

I will bet if you add just a small amount of relief to your neck the notes will ring out better, there is just so little string mass up there that the littlest thing makes a huge difference. I find my 24s a bit harder to set up compared to the 22s in general
I'll give that a shot

25.5 scale guitars will always ring better in the upper frets than 25 and 24.5. Just basic physics at work.

Back