Flatten radius on a Custom 24?

Torstein

I’m having my 2006 Custom 24 refretted by a skilled luthier, and I’m wondering about doing a re-radius also. Has anyone done this before? How thick are the inlays? How flat can you go?

Re-radiusing doesn't take off a whole lot of material, so I think you'll be fine as long as they don't go crazy. Like if you want to go to 12 or 14, but I might get scared about something super flat like 20.

The inlays are pretty thick from what I've seen in factory vids, but Jason has a good point about the lamination of the material. I would think it would be okay since the layers are all glued together, but it's still a risk.

That should be fine. Personally, if I were ripping out the frets and re-radiusing the board, I would go with a compound radius.

Why are you having it re-fretted in the first place?

That should be fine. Personally, if I were ripping out the frets and re-radiusing the board, I would go with a compound radius.

That would be a good idea

Thanks! They’re worn down, so it’s time. Going with jumbo frets. I’ve never owned a compound radius guitar before. But I have one on order that has it. Why do you like it?

Thanks! They’re worn down, so it’s time. Going with jumbo frets. I’ve never owned a compound radius guitar before. But I have one on order that has it. Why do you like it?

Worn frets means it's time for a level, crown, and polish, not a refret. Medium-jumbo frets can be re-leveled and crowned many times before there isn't enough material left on the crown.

If you wanted to replace them with stainless frets, that's another thing entirely, but you're literally looking at hundreds of dollars to have that work done, and a few flat spots is easily fixed for much less than that.

Last edited:
Following this one. I really wish PRS was more flexible on radius. I attempted to order a PS 594 with the 11.5" radius, and it got shot down.

Worn frets means it's time for a level, crown, and polish, not a refret. Medium-jumbo frets can be re-leveled and crowned many times before there isn't enough material left on the crown.

If you wanted to replace them with stainless frets, that's another thing entirely, but you're literally looking at hundreds of dollars to have that work done, and a few flat spots is easily fixed for much less than that.
That’s been done many times on this guitar. I’m no fan of stainless steel frets, so not having that. This guitar is almost 20 years old.

The 10 to 12" radius is not that significant, I've done it . I haven't found that jump feels that much different , 14" is .
Stew-Mac sells radius blocks that make it easy. I've got one compound radius and I'm not very fond of it, but if it floats your boat , go 4 it.

I have a few guitars that have a compound radius on them. I can't say that I notice it, which is a good thing. I just like the way the guitars play. I don't dislike the way my PRS guitars play without it either though. One thing to note is that all of the guitars that I own with a compound radius have a longer scale length than my PRS guitars.

Back