Custom 24 - Options for setup

GonzoJohn

Hey all,
About 2-3 months back, I acquired a Custom 24 core, but it needs to be set up. I took it to a local luthier who seemed pretty knowledgeable. He said it was setup pretty good already, but a couple strings buzz at the lower frets. He said to play it for a few months and then bring it back to him so it can get acclimated to Colorado dryness. The problem is, I prefer my CE-24 because it plays beautifully.

I called GC to see if they could set it up. They said they were two weeks behind, and would require me to bring my guitar in and leave it for the two weeks. I laughed and said no thanks. What a joke... I'd prefer not to do business with them anyway.

With that said. Should I raise the saddle on the strings that buzz? What are my best options? The luthiers around here seem pretty flaky, and the one I bring it to in Boulder is overpriced AF. They charge $100 a shot. I guess I need to learn to do my own setups. I've only been playing for 30 years or so.

Hey all,
About 2-3 months back, I acquired a Custom 24 core, but it needs to be set up. I took it to a local luthier who seemed pretty knowledgeable. He said it was setup pretty good already, but a couple strings buzz at the lower frets. He said to play it for a few months and then bring it back to him so it can get acclimated to Colorado dryness. The problem is, I prefer my CE-24 because it plays beautifully.

I called GC to see if they could set it up. They said they were two weeks behind, and would require me to bring my guitar in and leave it for the two weeks. I laughed and said no thanks. What a joke... I'd prefer not to do business with them anyway.

With that said. Should I raise the saddle on the strings that buzz? What are my best options? The luthiers around here seem pretty flaky, and the one I bring it to in Boulder is overpriced AF. They charge $100 a shot. I guess I need to learn to do my own setups. I've only been playing for 30 years or so.

John,

The PRS Website Support pages have articles on how to perform a DIY intonation/set-up yourself, using small tools that don't cost a lot. If perhaps you have a set of precision screwdrivers, (Phillips / flathead) a machinist's rule, a wide width stubby screwdriver, a tuner, and the truss rod wrench that was supposed to be supplied with your guitar, you can do this yourself.

Here's the page link to get you started:

https://prsguitars.com/support/setup

It sounds like the fret buzz is merely a little neck bow. If the guitar has been in CO only a week or so, it might need a couple days of hanging up on a guitar hanger to straighten things out, or if perhaps you can't wait, then perform the truss rod adjustment yourself.

Others will chime in as to what direction the rod should adjust, I'd simply tighten the truss rod (not sure what direction that is, guys?) and do the rest of the set-up per the website.

A few months seems a bit much. Maybe he's busy?

Yes raise the saddle until the buzz goes. You wont be hurting anything.
If you want to do your own set ups, theres a ton of vids online. watch 'em. As long as you are careful & methodical, you'll succeed.

A few months seems a bit much. Maybe he's busy?

Yes raise the saddle until the buzz goes. You wont be hurting anything.
If you want to do your own set ups, theres a ton of vids online. watch 'em. As long as you are careful & methodical, you'll succeed.

M-E,

Do you think the saddles will help, or would the truss rod tweak work better? Hoping the truss rod would be consistent across the fretboard, not just for individual strings...John had said some buzz across the lower strings, but didn't say which ones...

I would check your truss rod first.
PRS have a double action truss rod , that works really well with a tiny adjustment.
Capo at the first fret , Hold down low E at last fret
There should be a small gap ( sheet of paper ) at the 7th / 8th fret ( .010 )
some guitars need a bit more , some can have less.
Check the guitar in the normal playing position.
Moving just the saddles that buzz will change the radius and might feel funny.
Get a cheap set of radius gauges ( 10" for PRS )
Its good to know how to maintain your guitar , saves a bunch of time and money :)

Thanks much! I'll check these resources out. Oh, and I do have a guitar tool set I bought a while back, but just never got comfortable with it.

I would check your truss rod first.
PRS have a double action truss rod , that works really well with a tiny adjustment.
Capo at the first fret , Hold down low E at last fret
There should be a small gap ( sheet of paper ) at the 7th / 8th fret ( .010 )
some guitars need a bit more , some can have less.
Check the guitar in the normal playing position.
Moving just the saddles that buzz will change the radius and might feel funny.
Get a cheap set of radius gauges ( 10" for PRS )
Its good to know how to maintain your guitar , saves a bunch of time and money :)

This is why I asked before...wasn't sure adjusting the saddle height wouldn't throw the radius out of whack...now off to search for neck radius gauges...

The dryness of Colorado will probably cause the neck to shift. If you bought the guitar new, it probably only needs a small tweak. After watching the PRS tutorials, approach slowly. PRS guitars tend to need less work than most unless some yahoo has gotten his hands on it and tried to set it up like a Fender or Gibson. The last place I would take it to would be a GC, unless you know the luthier personally. The one across the street has a guy who didn't know anything, took the GC training, and hasn't had the opportunity to learn a lot. I don't want this person handling my very fine guitar. That would be like taking your Ferrari to an AMC mechanic. Not the best idea.

M-E,

Do you think the saddles will help, or would the truss rod tweak work better? Hoping the truss rod would be consistent across the fretboard, not just for individual strings...John had said some buzz across the lower strings, but didn't say which ones...

The tech told him it was set up pretty well. If the relief wasn't right he should have noticed that. If the relief is good then the truss rod should not be touched. Thats why I suggested he adjusted the action. Saddle adjustment is the right way to go about that. :)

The issue is how much relief is right? Most of mine have a very slight bow but two of them are bone straight, with excellent intonation and string clarity. And then again, how much does the tech know, and does he/she know PRS?

what's everyone keep their CU24 action at? Mine is at 4/64 high E, 4.5/64 low E and that's the lowest I can get it without any buzz. I wish i could get it a touch lower.

Ok, I set mine up after watching the videos. What I mean by that is that I just adjusted the truss rod a quarter turn. With a capo at the first fret, and pressing down on the fret that meets the body, I think there's a little more than a .010" gap between string and the 8th fret. The buzz is gone. Before I touched it, it was pretty low. I couldn't really get the gauge under it. I think the difference in weather between Wisconsin and Colorado messed up the setup they'd done before sending it out to me.

I just bought the Dunlop System 65 Guitar Neck Cradle so it'll be easier to work on my guitars in the future. I should end up saving a ton of money. :)

Ok, I set mine up after watching the videos. What I mean by that is that I just adjusted the truss rod a quarter turn. With a capo at the first fret, and pressing down on the fret that meets the body, I think there's a little more than a .010" gap between string and the 8th fret. The buzz is gone. Before I touched it, it was pretty low. I couldn't really get the gauge under it. I think the difference in weather between Wisconsin and Colorado messed up the setup they'd done before sending it out to me.

I just bought the Dunlop System 65 Guitar Neck Cradle so it'll be easier to work on my guitars in the future. I should end up saving a ton of money. :)
Good! Glad that worked out for you. Confidence comes with success. :)

Back