Current SE’s vs 90’s PRS quality

Isaac cruz

I was wondering, how well do the current SE guitars hold up to the 90’s PRS quality? Are they similar, even better, or not quite there.

Depends on what you are calling quality. In terms of the level of functionality and fit and finish, the 90's are just as good. In terms of putting better ideas in, and components on them, the SE's the newer ones are much better.

Yeah, are you talking about 90’s SEs? I don’t think they started making SE’s until 2000?

If you’re talking about an SE versus a 90’s core model guitar, oh hell no, they’re not in the same league. Sh!t..... there’s some stuff I like about 90’s PRS better than the new ones.

I had a couple of SE Semi-hollows about ten years ago. They were great guitars, and sounded good, but they felt like nice imports at best. I just got a new 2018 SE Custom 24, and while it’s no $3000 PRS, it’s extremely well-built, with particularly impressive fretwork. Probably the most buzz-free action of any guitar I’ve ever owned, and I’ve owned dozens. And the 85/15S pickups, which are also used on the US made S2s, are clear, musical, and versatile.

Back