Crack/Rable on a PRS Neck-still worth a Buy? Picture Included

Reynewan

Hello,

I´ve found on the Internet a PRS Core Guitar for a good Price but the Neck has a Rabble/Crack(?).
The Seller told me, that I´shouldn´t be worried about that, because the playability would not be influenced by that. I could try to fix that with a Pro-Luthier hopefully..(?), but I´m asking myself if that is only an accidental scratch or rather a mud crack/drying crack from the wood itself and if can get worse as the time will pass by..? The Guitar itself is from 2012. Thanks for any suggestions..

s-l1600.jpg

It might be a trick of the light, but that looks like the neck has sustained a knock.

Look at how the edge of the fretboard appears to be dented inward in the same area as the fracture in the lacquer.

Maybe ask for some more detailed photos of the neck, if you’re considering a purchase.

Is that a crack, or is the finish peeling? I've had a couple where the clearcoat starts to "de-laminate" at the fret board edge. I don't have a great picture of mine, but I'll attach it anyway.

hU3lm66.jpg

You can see it around the 9th and 10th frets. @Rider1260 may chime in. He has a DGT that had some similar issues. He recently posted some pics of it, but I can't remember what thread that was in.

It might be a trick of the light, but that looks like the neck has sustained a knock.

Look at how the edge of the fretboard appears to be dented inward in the same area as the fracture in the lacquer.

Maybe ask for some more detailed photos of the neck, if you’re considering a purchase.
Thanks, I will put some more pictures. What bugs me also is that I can´t clearly see the 57/08 engravings on the Pickup Covers..

s-l1600-2.jpg

s-l1600-3.jpg

Yeah on that one the crack in the lacquer is not seen.

Someone else better informed might be able to tell you about the pickups. Not sure if they ever made them without engraving.

Is that a crack, or is the finish peeling? I've had a couple where the clearcoat starts to "de-laminate" at the fret board edge. I don't have a great picture of mine, but I'll attach it anyway.

That´s exactly the Question I am asking myself too Bro..I will have to ask the seller about that..

Yeah on that one the crack in the lacquer is not seen. T

Someone else better informed might be able to tell you about the pickups. Not sure if they ever made them without engraving.

That were the official offer pictures. I´ve received that one with the crack after Ive asked about it..
Well, I will try to call PRS to ask them about the pickups. The worst thing is that I´ve already purchased the guitar..I haven´t paid it yet and I am asking myself if the transaction is legal, when the seller was not showing the pictures with the Crack on his official offer..

Thanks, I will put some more pictures. What bugs me also is that I can´t clearly see the 57/08 engravings on the Pickup Covers..

s-l1600-2.jpg

s-l1600-3.jpg
They’re tough to see as it is, but they’d be even tougher to see on the brushed pick up covers. There were some early non engraved 57/08s, but way before 2012.

Great looking guitar, btw.

That were the official offer pictures. I´ve received that one with the crack after Ive asked about it..
Well, I will try to call PRS to ask them about the pickups. The worst thing is that I´ve already purchased the guitar..I haven´t paid it yet and I am asking myself if the transaction is legal, when the seller was not showing the pictures with the Crack on his official offer..
I can’t answer the legal question as I’m in a different country.

Maybe you can come to some arrangement with the seller about an agreed return policy if the guitar doesn’t turn out to be acceptable.

They’re tough to see as it is, but they’d be even tougher to see on the brushed pick up covers. There were some early non engraved 57/08s, but way before 2012.

Great looking guitar, btw.

I would love to own a Stripped SC 58..Honestly it´s the last Mising Link in my PRS Wishlist..They are very difficult to get here..But I´dont know..

The seller wrote in the description, that he wouldn´t take the guitar back if bought. But in my opinion he cannot post in the official offer pictures without the crack and not even mention it in the description..
I will seee what I can do about that..

Yeah no photos or mention in the description is pretty rubbish!

Id see if you can negotiate something that suits both of you.

I am´ not 100% sure yet, but I think I should have some Options, as far as I´ve read the legal assigments on the E-Bay Page..

I also thought the neck looked dented. It would take a pretty good smack to put a curve as big as what that looks like.

Without a couple of better photos of that part of the neck, I would probably wait for another one. There will be more.

I also thought the neck looked dented. It would take a pretty good smack to put a curve as big as what that looks like.

Without a couple of better photos of that part of the neck, I would probably wait for another one. There will be more.

He’s already bought it.

:oops::(Because I was afraid, that someone would grab it before me..Stupid me..But the picture with the crack was not in included in the original Sellers Offer..The damage was simply not visible on the pictures the seller showed..
He sent me the picture with the Crack after I´ve asked about if the guitar is damaged..

Last edited:
Back