Cool Video From Partybaby (My Son's Band)

László

Too Many Notes
Cool Video From Partybaby (My Son's Band) Tour Pics Added

Well, I just posted the thing complaining about my hand when my wife called me into the den, and said, "Have you seen this new video on Jamie's band's website?"

Then she played it - I really dug it. All of a sudden I was excited and not thinking about my hand issues any more. It's a very cool video. OK, I fully acknowledge that I'm biased as hell. But this is some really nice shooting and editing. Jamie tells me it was shot at least in part in NYC. The band starts their US tour with The Academy Is on Friday in Florida, so this was timed to coincide with that I guess.

It's got the band's most recent single that has gotten great reviews (e.g., http://diymag.com/2015/10/09/partybaby-return-get-acquainted-with-your-old-man).

You can also stream it on the band's website:

http://partybabymusic.com

So...who cares about your hand when your son's rockin' out to the world, huh?

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a REALLY cool song. My favorite yet of theirs!

I'll take the liberty of thanking you on behalf of the band and my son!

I love their work, and I hope it's for the reason that it's good, not just because it's my son's stuff. The reviews of both singles and of the NYC showcase were really strong, too.

So I guess I'm not alone - that's good!

Last edited:
I'll take the liberty of thanking you on behalf of the band and my son!

I love their work, and I hope it's for the reason that it's good, not just because it's my son's stuff. The reviews of both singles and of the NYC showcase were really strong, too.

So I guess I'm not alone - that's good!

Nah, it's legitimately good!

But I have to ask, do you understand what your son does on the weekend?

Andy, today I know what my son does on the weekend, at least this weekend. His band is opening for The Academy Is in Orlando.

And today DIYmag (English music magazine) came out with their new December/January issue and named their Class of 2016, consisting of bands and artists to keep an eye on, the "best new acts around" (their quote, not mine).

Partybaby made the list: http://diymag.com/magazine

I absolutely, positively know for sure, 100%, that this is a cool accomplishment so early in the career, and that he's in a pretty freaking good mood! :top:

Dig the video, like the shooting and overall vibe. Good stuff

I will pass on the nice comments, gents!

I asked him if it was OK to post his stuff here (I don't want to do anything without making sure he's OK with it) and he said, "Are you kidding? Of COURSE send our stuff out to your friends there!"

I'm sure he'd get a laugh out of my vicarious life, though... ;)

So if you see one of his band's shows, just don't tell him what a complete geek his Dad is.

Andy, today I know what my son does on the weekend, at least this weekend. His band is opening for The Academy Is in Orlando.

And today DIYmag (English music magazine) came out with their new December/January issue and named their Class of 2016, consisting of bands and artists to keep an eye on, the "best new acts around" (their quote, not mine).

Partybaby made the list: http://diymag.com/magazine

I absolutely, positively know for sure, 100%, that this is a cool accomplishment so early in the career, and that he's in a pretty freaking good mood! :top:

That's great news! I'll also be keeping an eye on them, keep us in the loop!

That's great news! I'll also be keeping an eye on them, keep us in the loop!

Will do! Here are a couple of pics from the first show, Orlando, FL, last night. Taken by the audience, they were tweeted to the band. And yes, my son is the guy in the GREEN jumpsuit! Haha! Do not ask me why on earth he has the pants rolled up, maybe it was hot.

He said it's tough for the opening act to win over the crowd, but he thinks they got a great response from the folks who came to the show. I like that the drummer is a blur in the first pic - she is an AWESOME drummer, by the way. Tonight, ATLANTA, GA.

The morning after the show, they were on the road by 7AM. Talk about working hard and paying your dues!

ORLANDO!

Last edited:
As per a few requests...The Progress Of Partybaby! Remember those old movies where there'd be a shot of a show in one city, and then they'd cut to a train, and then there'd be a spinning newspaper with a good review in another city? I kinda feel like this is similar to that, since I'm the spinning newspaper equivalent!

ATLANTA!

I'm told the show went well, but "not perfect." My son is, like me, a perfectionist. ;)

Incidentally, one interesting detail is that the guitar Jamie's playing is an exact hand-painted copy of Clapton's "The Fool" SG. Looks good on stage. I was shocked that he even knew about the original Clapton guitar so many years after Clapton stopped playing it, but Jamie's into the old music and all the history, as well as the new stuff.

Last edited:
Somehow, I had no clue Jamie fronted the band on vocals. I had always assumed he just played guitar for some reason.

Oh BTW, I think the rolled up pants is kind of a thing with the younger crowd these days. I've caught Jakeb a few times in the summer, pants rolled up like that. I gave him a hard time about it, but I'm sure it's me who's not in the know.

I'm confused... Party Baby - 30 Seconds... New band? Or doing both?

Somehow, I had no clue Jamie fronted the band on vocals. I had always assumed he just played guitar for some reason.

Oh BTW, I think the rolled up pants is kind of a thing with the younger crowd these days. I've caught Jakeb a few times in the summer, pants rolled up like that. I gave him a hard time about it, but I'm sure it's me who's not in the know.

Yup, he's the vocalist. In fact, he did backup vocals on some of the Mars stuff, he's a got a wide range as a vocalist, and he can actually sing on key, something of a rarity these days!

I guess maybe I'm out of the loop on the pants thing, too!

I'm confused... Party Baby - 30 Seconds... New band? Or doing both?

Jamie shared recording engineer/producer's assistant chores on 30 STM's "This is War." And he was the recording engineer on "Love Lust Faith & Dreams," and mixed about half of the final release as well. He toured with 30STM behind both records. But he wasn't a member of the band. 30 STM's members are Jared and Shannon Leto, and Tomo Milicevic.

Partybaby is Jamie's band with his pal Noah. That'll be his permanent gig, in fact, there's a whole album in the can waiting to be released. Jamie and Noah co-write everything, they're like Lennon-McCartney. ;)

However, he and the 30STM guys remain good friends, and still hang out together. In fact, Jamie had Thanksgiving dinner with them. I wouldn't rule out his working with Mars again at some point down the road, but for now, he's concentrating his effort on Partybaby.

Tonight - NORTH CAROLINA! Cat's Cradle, Carrboro (Raleigh-Durham Metro Area).

Last edited:
I know some of you guys are rooting for my son to roll on with the tour and the records...I just saw this tweet. Frankly, I'm still trying to figure out how tweets are supposed to be interpreted, but apparently my son understands the concept and did something called re-tweeting this information:
PARTYBABY Retweeted Beats 1 Plays
WHAT?!?
PARTYBABY added,
Beats 1 Plays @Beats1PlaysYour Old Man - PARTYBABY #beats1

I have no idea what this means, precisely, but I'm guessing it means that the band heard one of their records on something called Beats 1 while the band was on the road today, and they were very excited. They've also gotten airplay on BBC1, which again, I have no idea how an unknown California band got that to happen, either.

EDIT: I googled Beats 1 and it's an Apple radio station. One of Jamie's tweets said the band nearly drove the van off the road when the song came on.

Kind of reminds me of "That Thing You Do," where the drummer hears the song on the radio and starts running around all over town, except, well, possible accident in the making that, thank goodness, didn't happen. ;)

They should consider broadcasting a warning to bands on the road: "Dear Band (insert name of band): We are about to play your song "(Insert name of song)". Please try to remain calm and do not drive your van off the road when the song is played."

I have no pictures from the North Carolina show. Next stop on the tour: Tuesday Dec 8, Norfolk, VA. Then Wednesday night, Washington, DC. The show is sold out.

Last edited:
Beats 1 is an internet radio station via iTunes!

Very cool Les. But I'm trying hard not to quote the song again!

Edit, via your edit: Nevermind!

Still cool though!

Back