Considering selling DGT for CU24 - Blasphemy?

Mole351

Don't get me wrong - I love the DGT and if could only choose one it would be the DGT by a mile.

BUT - I'm not a bunch of guitars kind of guy and have a finitel amoubt of $ to spend (and too hard to "hide additional guitars from the wife - LOL).

A nice Les Paul has always been on my bucket list - and I've always thought my personal trifecta was a nice strat, LP, and a PRS (problem is, now that I've jumped into the PRS world a year or so ago - there are just so many damn good models).

So I'm getting a LP (traditional) at a good price to round out the trifecta. I know the DGT is a better (IMO) more versatile guitar than the LP but they do sort of exist in the same sonic territory. I think I'd be better served to have all my bases covered to get a custom 24 and let the DGT go.

3 guitars is my number - that's not going to change. Seems the CU24 would be different enough from the others, and is a damn nice guitar. I guess I'm trying to justify if I was only going to have one PRS in the group of three - better to have a custom24 or keep the DGT?

I love the DGT and if could only choose one it would be the DGT by a mile.

Then why on Earth would you get rid of it? Reconsider your trifecta. If the DGT and LP exist in the same sonic space for you, and you think the DGT is the better guitar, why buy the LP?

Keep the DGT for a bit with the LP. They might not be as close as you think - I have both and it never struck me that they were especially close. If you do find them close, maybe you’ll continue to prefer the DGT and get over the need for a LP (not saying you should, you just might in wanting to cover the most space you can with three guitars).

If some time goes by and you still think the CU24 would be a better choice for you than the DGT, go for it.

The CU24 is a wonderful guitar. But decisions about instruments, music, art, etc., aren’t rational and scientific. They’re mostly emotional, and wonderfully irrational.

So there are no right answers carved in stone. It’s all about what feels good to you at a given point in time. And there’s nothing wrong with that. Embrace it!

We need to give ourselves permission to treat the instrument buying exercise for what it is, avoid having to rationalize and justify, and not feel badly about changing our minds.

Spouses see through these long-winded justifications anyway, and then you just have to some up with another one down the road when you change your mind again.

I can understand the idea behind wanting to own "the trifecta", but I'm not sure I'm seeing enough differences between a LP, DGT, and CU24.

The noticeable tonal difference between these three are mostly going to be in the pickups, which can be swapped.

I would say stick with the DGT.

The noticeable tonal difference between these three are mostly going to be in the pickups, which can be swapped.

A lot of people would disagree. I don't have experience enough with all three to say either way, but I know a lot of people probably including OP would not agree.

For me having both SC /LP types of guitars and CU24s makes sense as the SC's give me a certain tone and the CU 24 is different but ALSO it gives me ease of upper fret access that the SC's can lack.

My band plays "Roll with the Changes" and there is a lot of lead work in A. I brought my SC to practice this week and that song was a little tougher with it. The CU 24 is a breeze in high A!

Keep the DGT for a bit with the LP. They might not be as close as you think - I have both and it never struck me that they were especially close. If you do find them close, maybe you’ll continue to prefer the DGT and get over the need for a LP (not saying you should, you just might in wanting to cover the most space you can with three guitars).

If some time goes by and you still think the CU24 would be a better choice for you than the DGT, go for it.

Agreed. Trems have very different ASD characteristics relative to a TOM bridge.

OP Ive had a few les pauls, you need to own one to see if you like it and you may find it ergonomically uncomfortable and not staying in tune as well etc...own both for a bit and the answer will appear very quickly I feel like...

I was going for the collection of all the shapes, I had a LP , Strat , Tele , V , Hollow body etc etc all fine guitars BUT once I headed down the PRS path the others were unsatisfying didn't sustain as long didn't tune as well were harder to play so saying that !!!

If it were me ;)

First get the CU24 hang on to the DGT for a bit and compare those two , The CU 24 especially with a rotary does a killer Strat along with all the Humbucker sounds
Next look at a 594 single cut for your Lester fix ( I know someone who has a Killer Black one ;) ) ( Others to mention SC-58 , SC-245 , SC250 , SCT )
I think those three would be a killer do all set up
If you end up needing something MORE Strat look for a DC3 or a 305 , Brett Mason Sig to fill that hole

Good luck in your search it sounds like it could be loads of fun

I have to agree with the others. I thought I needed an LP and played a bunch until I found an R8 that I thought was killer. It wasn't. The 594 blew it out of the water in terms of comfort, fit and feel. The tone is close enough that it doesn't matter. The R8 is long gone, replaced with a Santana. I never looked back.

Then why on Earth would you get rid of it?
This. WTH, man? What is this, "the grass is greener on the other side of the fence" syndrome? That way lies madness. And G.A.S. Which is madness' final form.

Do NOT, under any circumstances, trade something away that you:
  • have played
for something that you:
  • have not played
  • don't know you like
...I mean, hopefully, when I state it real straightforward like that, it's painfully clear how utterly ridiculous this is.

Sage advice. After playing a DGT, Cu24, and a Les Paul (among a few others) yesterday, I clearly recall the individuality apparent in these guitars. Yes, I played them and listened thru the same amp, but heard other people playing them, which is always a different listening perspective for me. Each one was a different experience.

A comment my son made spurred a discussion; “this guitar inspires me to think and play differently from another”. That is one of the two philosophical reasons behind having more than one instrument. They are physical extensions of your art and can stir-up the creative process when it gets stagnant. No one wants a stagnant brain...keep all three!

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I'm going to stick with the DGT for now and see how it plays out with the LP and go from there. I'm in no rush to get the CU24 just for the sake of have the trifecta.

FWIW - My "trifecta" when I was younger was a Strat, Les Paul, SG and Tele (later revised to include a 335 as I got older).

Over time I;

Figured out I don't like Strats,

Figured out SGs weren't different enough from LPs for me to bother with them,

Figured out that Tele's are awesome, but I basically stopped using mine after getting a McCarty and using the coil taps on it; and

I always knew that Les Pauls are awesome, but my McCarty gets me close enough with better ergonomics so mine largely sits in the closet. I recently brought my LP out for an audition (classic rock) so I would look the part, but by the time I got home and picked up my McCarty off a stand I realized how much I'd been fighting the LP through rehearsal.

bumping this thread for an update,

how is the DGT hanging in the trifecta pack, do you still have the DGT did you sell it?
which guitar don't you like this month?:)

It's Funny how our trifecta changes pre and post PRS enlightenment...
I used to have a pair of US deluxe strats (maple/Rosewood), Gibson les Paul and explorer, and a knock off tele.
I still have one Strat and the les Paul, but they feel so second rate compared to any of my PRS guitars. I play them sometimes at home, but they never come to gigs anymore.

Selling seems like something I may one day regret.. so they gather dust.

It’s obvious that I’m a huge fan of PRS, but I also love a good LP. I would however encourage you upgrade your choice to an R9. There is a big difference between Gibson’s core models and their custom shop ones.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong - I love the DGT and if could only choose one it would be the DGT by a mile.

BUT - I'm not a bunch of guitars kind of guy and have a finitel amoubt of $ to spend (and too hard to "hide additional guitars from the wife - LOL).

A nice Les Paul has always been on my bucket list - and I've always thought my personal trifecta was a nice strat, LP, and a PRS (problem is, now that I've jumped into the PRS world a year or so ago - there are just so many damn good models).

So I'm getting a LP (traditional) at a good price to round out the trifecta. I know the DGT is a better (IMO) more versatile guitar than the LP but they do sort of exist in the same sonic territory. I think I'd be better served to have all my bases covered to get a custom 24 and let the DGT go.

3 guitars is my number - that's not going to change. Seems the CU24 would be different enough from the others, and is a damn nice guitar. I guess I'm trying to justify if I was only going to have one PRS in the group of three - better to have a custom24 or keep the DGT?

I did something similar with wanting the trifecta.... ended up with Epiphone, Fendr, and PRS, all covering different bases.

If I were you, I’d get the LP, then determine if the DGT and LP were ‘close’... if they are, and you aren’t emotionally attached to the DGT, then move the DGT either to another category or out the door.

I bought a Custom 24 before I found a strat that I liked and obviously the strat does ‘strat’ the best but I haven’t sold the Custom 24 after acquiring the strat. Why? Because that Cu24 now fits nicely in my ‘desert island guitar’ category. It produces other tones that my other guitars can’t get to.

So if the DGT was too close to the LP and you need the LP the complete the trifecta AND the DGT can’t be recategorized into your desert island stash, then I’d move it on.

I’ve got the trifecta and a desert island stash (with 3 PRSi in it.... and any of those 3 can cover multiple bases in a pinch).

Back