Concerts you can brag about.

Some of my faves:

Dire Straits on the Brothers in Arms tour -- lucked into partially obscured last-minute seats at stage left, and that was the show that taught me just how good an old Les Paul sounds, and probably truly hooked me on electric guitar forever.

Pink Floyd on the Momentary Lapse of Reason tour -- 50th row on the floor of the Kingdome, not far from the mixing desk. It was an incredible spectacle down front, and sounded fantastic despite the general acoustic crappiness of that building.

Primus, Pixies, and Jane's Addiction around 1989-ish -- That show was the culmination of an epic weekend in Seattle. I'd been up all the previous night in a recording studio, fueled on pizza, espresso, and beer, slapping together this weird white-boy rap funk thing that was supposed to be a parody of 80's televangelists... Jane's Addiction I already knew and loved, but I was totally unprepared for Primus and they freakin' blew me away that night.

Opeth at the 2011 PRS Experience -- legendary. I think some of y'all remember that one.

Rush on the R40 tour -- My wife and I paid through the nose for 9th row seats and it was so worth it. The brilliant, simple thing they did with that show was play through their catalog in reverse chronological order, starting with their newest album and ending with their oldest, while the roadies changed the stage around them to reflect the shows that went with the songs. By the end they had little bitty combo amps on school chairs, a high school gymnasium backdrop, and a few lights on a disco ball. And you could feel it winding down to the end of the show as they were getting to the beginning of their musical careers. Knowing that it was probably their last tour made it a pretty big deal, plus for my money, it was the best setlist of any Rush show I'd ever been to.

In no particular order...and some of these only earned bragging rights in hindsight and for historical reasons...

James Brown
Muddy Waters
Albert King
Eric Clapton
George Harrison
John Lennon
Bob Dylan with The Band
Cream
MC5
The Cars
Stooges
Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen (my college band also opened for them, so this one's personal)
60s Grateful Dead
Bowie
Chicago
Vanilla Fudge
Roxy Music
Jackson 5
Ray Charles
Temptations
Supremes
Four Tops
Traffic
Earl Klugh
Wes Montgomery
Pat Metheney
Herb Ellis
Ravi Shankar
'71 Steven Stills
60s Jefferson Airplane
Rahsaan Roland Kirk
Joni Mitchell (with Robben Ford and Tom Scott in the band)
Michael Hedges
Aaron Copland conducting Fanfare for the Common Man, Appalachian Spring, Rodeo
Oh, and I was kinda tripped out on something when the Woodstock movie came out, so I thought I was there...;)

I forgot the rest. Sorry.

Can I include seeing my son on tour with 30 Seconds to Mars, and on tour with his band, Partybaby? Because of all these shows, these were the most exciting for me...it's a dad thing. :)

I'm a dad too, so I understand.
And I can understand the "hindsight" thing because the Kiss show was just OK as I recall, but you've got a couple that hit me pretty deep. Wes, Herb Ellis, Ray Charles, & Traffic are big parts of my musical DNA, envious of those ones.

Ozzy with Randy Rhoads on the Diary tour.
Ozzy with some band called Metallica opening on their Master Of Puppets tour.
Zappa in 1988. Final tour, what he considered to be one of his best bands.
Hedges on his final tour.
Kiss on the last tour with the original lineup.
Dethklok with Mastodon as one of the openers.
First Ghost US tour (and all but one since).
Clapton with Mark Knopfler.
I like Ghost!!! One of the few new bands that really play the hell out of their axes IMHO, and Zappa & Ozzy w/Randy Rhodes, that's great stuff.

I have only been going to concerts in the past 10 years or so, so I haven't been to as many as some here. My favorite concert so far was Metallica at the new US Bank Stadium in Minneapolis. It was pretty much a dream come true.

Some of my faves:

Dire Straits on the Brothers in Arms tour -- lucked into partially obscured last-minute seats at stage left, and that was the show that taught me just how good an old Les Paul sounds, and probably truly hooked me on electric guitar forever.

Pink Floyd on the Momentary Lapse of Reason tour -- 50th row on the floor of the Kingdome, not far from the mixing desk. It was an incredible spectacle down front, and sounded fantastic despite the general acoustic crappiness of that building.

Primus, Pixies, and Jane's Addiction around 1989-ish -- That show was the culmination of an epic weekend in Seattle. I'd been up all the previous night in a recording studio, fueled on pizza, espresso, and beer, slapping together this weird white-boy rap funk thing that was supposed to be a parody of 80's televangelists... Jane's Addiction I already knew and loved, but I was totally unprepared for Primus and they freakin' blew me away that night.

Opeth at the 2011 PRS Experience -- legendary. I think some of y'all remember that one.

Rush on the R40 tour -- My wife and I paid through the nose for 9th row seats and it was so worth it. The brilliant, simple thing they did with that show was play through their catalog in reverse chronological order, starting with their newest album and ending with their oldest, while the roadies changed the stage around them to reflect the shows that went with the songs. By the end they had little bitty combo amps on school chairs, a high school gymnasium backdrop, and a few lights on a disco ball. And you could feel it winding down to the end of the show as they were getting to the beginning of their musical careers. Knowing that it was probably their last tour made it a pretty big deal, plus for my money, it was the best setlist of any Rush show I'd ever been to.

Also saw the Brothers In Arms tour. Wasn't sure if I wanted to go or not, then watched Live Aid at a friend's apartment. After their set, she looked at me and said, "Buy the tickets," and wrote me a check for hers. Show ended up sold out, and was Dire Straits' only appearance here. As it turns out, I've seen all three of Knopfler's Pittsburgh appearances - Dire Straits, with Clapton, and his solo tour last year.

Missed Rush's R40 because they didn't play here, and the nights they were close enough to travel, I couldn't go. My buddy bought me a shirt at one of the shows he went to. As it turned out, I missed their last Pittsburgh show because that was the year my wife finally went to Experience with me, and we went to Ocean City first. I was sad to read in Neal's new book that they considered ending the R40 tour in Toronto, Cleveland or Pittsburgh. Toronto's a stretch, but doable. Cleveland - hell, I've done Cleveland shows on work nights.

Seeing Hendrix and The Who (2 separate shows) in a tiny venue in 1967 wasn't bad (standing room only at the edge of the stage).

And, being a "guest" at Sheryl Crow, Bad Company, and Vince Gill were shows I'll never forget.

Seeing Hendrix and The Who (2 separate shows) in a tiny venue in 1967 wasn't bad (standing room only at the edge of the stage).

And, being a "guest" at Sheryl Crow, Bad Company, and Vince Gill were shows I'll never forget.
Hendrix, that's a good one, not too many can say that.

In no particular order...and some of these only earned bragging rights in hindsight and for historical reasons...

James Brown
Muddy Waters
Albert King
Eric Clapton
George Harrison
John Lennon
Bob Dylan with The Band
Cream
MC5
The Cars
Stooges
Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen (my college band also opened for them, so this one's personal)
60s Grateful Dead
Bowie
Chicago
Vanilla Fudge
Roxy Music
Jackson 5
Ray Charles
Temptations
Supremes
Four Tops
Traffic
Earl Klugh
Wes Montgomery
Pat Metheney
Herb Ellis
Ravi Shankar
'71 Steven Stills
60s Jefferson Airplane
Rahsaan Roland Kirk
Joni Mitchell (with Robben Ford and Tom Scott in the band)
Michael Hedges
Aaron Copland conducting Fanfare for the Common Man, Appalachian Spring, Rodeo
Oh, and I was kinda tripped out on something when the Woodstock movie came out, so I thought I was there...;)

I forgot the rest. Sorry.

Can I include seeing my son on tour with 30 Seconds to Mars, and on tour with his band, Partybaby? Because of all these shows, these were the most exciting for me...it's a dad thing. :)
That's an Awsome line up Les. The nearest I ever got to a beatle was a wig and a broom that wouldn't stay in tune, but I was a meer nipper back then. a great time to be growing up !!!

Porcupine Tree in my hometown of Kansas City was pretty awesome, especially considering it was their first time playing here and the likelihood of them coming back is pretty slim.

Alt J was really good, too.

But seeing Toots & The Maytals in Lawrence, KS in a tiny bar had to be the most memorable for me. They were REALLY good.

Other memorable experiences, no particular order.....

Guns N Roses w/ Alice in Chains
Bonamassa (twice)
Jimmy Cliff
The Roots
Aerosmith - Nine Lives Tour
Black Crows when they opened for Tom Petty

I'm one of the audience on Crack the Sky's Recher Theater 06.19.99 album. I'm the guy yelling incoherently and clapping.

I'm on Bauhaus' Gotham.

I would be on Happy the Man's State Theatre record if they ever released it.

Ditto Strange Boutique's reunion album.

Hell yeah! They were an amazing band back when they had Rahzel and "Hub" playing bass. Saw them a bunch in the 90's along with : Wu Tang, Fugees, Jeru, Common, Pharcyde, Goodie Mob, and Tribe.

Yeah, Rahzel was there too!!! He did a beatbox competition with Questlove on drums. Did "If Your Mother Only Knew" too. It was kicka$$.

Man, like a lot of you, I've seen TONS over shows since my first in 1981. As for concerts I can "brag" about, or always get brought up in converstaion, there are a handful.

Rush R40 - had seats in the 10th row in front of Alex. It was my 18th Rush show, but it was the format of the show, and the "elephant in the room" that made it special. The reverse chronological set list, and deconstructing stage were very cool.

My first, April Wine and Uriah Heep in '81. Just because it was my first and set the stage for my desire to play guitar.

SRV - '85 or '86 with Johnny Copeland. Standing front row in a small ballroom. The intensity and passion was overwhelming
SRV - '90 - his last show the night of his death. Enough said.

Yes - '91 - Reunion Tour - this was cool as hell. Eight current and former members on stage together. It was in the round on a rotating stage. So, Trevor Rabin AND Steve Howe on guitar; Bill Bruford AND Alan White on drums; Rick Wakeman and Tony Kaye on keys.

Satriani - '88 at the Metro in Chicago on the Surfing tour. Sweaty little place and ground breaking (at the time) show.

Page/Plant - Walking Into Clarksdale tour '98 - I never had the opportunity to see Zep, but had seen Plant a couple of times by this point. There was something special about seeing this show. I distinctly remember the goose bumps when they broke into the Zep catalog. It was great!

Greatful Dead - '87 - not a huge Dead fan, but the experience from the parking lot, to the show, to the Dead-heads looking for blunts on the ground post show make this memorable.

Crossroads 2007 - just wow!

Barbra Streisand - 2016 - not really my cup of tea (the Mrs is a huge fan) - but you can't deny the talent. Seeing how she has done about 100 concerts in her entire career, it was special. Amazing voice. Much respect.

Kiss - Konvention '95 - this was a cool, intimate setting in a Holiday Inn meeting room as part of the '95 Kiss Konvention. There were probably 200 people there. Pretty cool deal.

There are so many more I could list, but those are the ones that get brought up outside of the "concert going group" of friends/acquaintances.

The other thing that always gets brought up is my concert ticket contest win. April 1, 1985 a 17 year old bodia won a contest sponsored by the local radio station (97x) and one of the local music stores (Griggs Music). The winnings were 2 tickets to every concert within 75 miles of the Quad Cities (Davenport, IA to be more specific) for one year. Man, I saw a lot of great shows, and made some money selling those tickets for shows I had no interest in. Bonus, after the year was up I got to make a radio commercial announcing year two of the contest. It was a cool thing for a 17/18 year old kid.

The other thing that always gets brought up is my concert ticket contest win. April 1, 1985 a 17 year old bodia won a contest sponsored by the local radio station (97x) and one of the local music stores (Griggs Music). The winnings were 2 tickets to every concert within 75 miles of the Quad Cities (Davenport, IA to be more specific) for one year. .

....and it was a lot easier than hopping fences & getting chased by security like I was.:D

A lot of the fam got to see SRV like you, I missed out on that one, regret it to this day.

....and it was a lot easier than hopping fences & getting chased by security like I was.:D

A lot of the fam got to see SRV like you, I missed out on that one, regret it to this day.

Not gonna rub it in, but I got to see SRV a few times. At a couple of the early shows, he turned the guitar way down and came out to the front of the stage and the whole place was so quiet it was unreal. Totally in control of the crowd.

Saw a video of soundcheck from one of those shows I was at on YouTube. January or February, he walked in, grabbed his Strat, and wailed straightaway. Unreal to watch.

Not gonna rub it in, but I got to see SRV a few times. At a couple of the early shows, he turned the guitar way down and came out to the front of the stage and the whole place was so quiet it was unreal. Totally in control of the crowd.

Saw a video of soundcheck from one of those shows I was at on YouTube. January or February, he walked in, grabbed his Strat, and wailed straightaway. Unreal to watch.

Amen brother! Really wonder what he'd be like today.

I should add the Stones from the Bridges to Babylon tour. Would have been '97 or '98, I think. Show was awful, but I had the funniest crowd experience ever. It had to to with an "old lady" who flashed the band from behind the stage, mushrooms, and her head through the armhole of her t-shirt when her "old man" yelled at her to cover up her "saggy boobs". I missed three songs watching the event unfold. Best ever!

Back