CE24 neck/joint

Clifford Erickson

HI all,
Does anyone else hear a loud wood creaking sound coming from the neck pocket when picking up the new CE24?
I have not experienced any ill effects from it.The screws are nice and snug I checked.

baffled by it.Nothing seems wrong with it,just makes wood creaking noises when handled.I will take a peak inside the cavity when I do my next string change.

I have had my new ce24 for 2 weeks. No issues!!!! I would suggest checking for gap issues, or taking it to a guitar tech to check over your guitar

Hey I have an old one that does the same thing, but I too don't have any issues with the tuning or sound for that matter. I asked my tech about it and he said it might have something to do with the neck setting in and adjusting to the climate.
Did you change to a different gage of strings recently? No reason, just asking..

Make sure the neck plate screws are tight. [EDIT: I see you already checked that. n/m]

Last edited:
Hey I have an old one that does the same thing, but I too don't have any issues with the tuning or sound for that matter. I asked my tech about it and he said it might have something to do with the neck setting in and adjusting to the climate.
Did you change to a different gage of strings recently? No reason, just asking..
No changes at all,I still have the factory strings on it.How long have you had yours?

No changes at all,I still have the factory strings on it.How long have you had yours?

Well I actually have two, one is 92 and the other is and 87/88 or something. But the 92 I've had for Mby a year and once in a wile I'll hear a pop at the joint. My friend lives in Arizona and he once told me that it's so dry there that the wood drys up and his truss rod moves, sometimes when he's hooked up to and amplifier he can hear it pop too. I tend to believe that it might have something to do with atmospheric conditions. It's hard to tell but that might be the problem. My 88 is a whole different story, it has a small crack at the heel. I try to be really careful with it.
My necks are full maple so they are a little different compared to a maple/rosewood neck, but it's still relevant.

Clifford, I also bought a new CE24 about a month ago and I have the same problem. Just wrote PRS technical and waiting for an answer. Did you ever find a reason for for the issue?

No I never did find out why it creaks the way it does.Thats the only way I can describe it really,a wood creak sound.Been learning to live with it.Sometimes it does it sometimes it dont but it is quite often.I thought it might have been due to a gap on the one side but I was told by PTC that it is ok.Other that that I absolutely love mine.It is the best guitar I have ever had the pleasure to own.Let me know what they say please....\m/

Well I actually have two, one is 92 and the other is and 87/88 or something. But the 92 I've had for Mby a year and once in a wile I'll hear a pop at the joint. My friend lives in Arizona and he once told me that it's so dry there that the wood drys up and his truss rod moves, sometimes when he's hooked up to and amplifier he can hear it pop too. I tend to believe that it might have something to do with atmospheric conditions. It's hard to tell but that might be the problem. My 88 is a whole different story, it has a small crack at the heel. I try to be really careful with it.
My necks are full maple so they are a little different compared to a maple/rosewood neck, but it's still relevant.
I thought of that but my eye site is not that good.If it is cracked then it would be in between the joint where I cant see it.Plays awesome though,amazing instrument.

Clifford, I will let you know what they tell me. I can tell you that you did a better job of describing the problem than I did.

This can be a common issue with Strats and why Richie Blackmore is said to glue his necks in place.
Even if the screws seem to be tight there can still be a small gap the can cause a wood to wood creaking sound.
I have fixed several guitars ( not PRS yet ) by setting the neck , loosen everything up and tapping the neck in place with a mallet ( 1 x 3 over the frets ) tighten the screws and setting it again and tighten again.
NOTE the guitar neck joint needed to be COMPLETELY supported when doing this or you can damage the neck pocket !!!!

Rider, Thanks for the information. I received an answer from PRS customer service today and they wanted me to video the problem so they could analyze it. The creaking is so slight I am not sure it could be heard on a phone camera. The guitar plays good and stays in tune so would it be OK to leave it like it is.

HI all,
Does anyone else hear a loud wood creaking sound coming from the neck pocket when picking up the new CE24?
I have not experienced any ill effects from it.The screws are nice and snug I checked.

HI Clifford,
I have the same issue as well, i just bought mine last month. the same issues, the back plate is well screwed. i always here it whenever i pick up the guitar holding the neck. have you sort out yours?.

thanks.

Rider, Thanks for the information. I received an answer from PRS customer service today and they wanted me to video the problem so they could analyze it. The creaking is so slight I am not sure it could be heard on a phone camera. The guitar plays good and stays in tune so would it be OK to leave it like it is.

hi mate,

is there any update from PRS? i am having the same issue. keep us posted. thank you.

As a long time Strat player I’ve had this problem before.
With string tension and the neck pointing to the ceiling, loosen the neck plate screws, give the neck a good wiggle to let the tension seat the neck into the pocket then tighten up the neck plate screws. Now retune and enjoy.

Back