CE24 58/15LT

watergate

Fell in love with the feel of the new CE24. Debating between the stock 85/15 pickups or buying one with 58/15LT pickups. Can anyone with experience with a CE24 with 58/15LT pickups let me know what you think of it.

Wilcutt did a bunch of them for their anniversary.

No direct experience in a CE, but the 85/15 are brighter and clearer to my ear. The bridge pickup pushes harder than the 58/15 LT. The LT set is very vintage PAF flavored while the 85s are modern.

Fell in love with the feel of the new CE24. Debating between the stock 85/15 pickups or buying one with 58/15LT pickups. Can anyone with experience with a CE24 with 58/15LT pickups let me know what you think of it.
I have owned an 85/15 CE and currently have on of the Wilcutt 58/15LT CE’s. In my opinion it rounds out the sound a bit. I don’t think there is ever a better or worse with subjective things like pickups, just different. If you want a more on edge sound the 85/15’s may be better. If you want s more rounded mellower sound the LT’s are probably more of your liking. I can’t say if it’s the covers or the lower turns (or both), but that’s just my two cents.

I can get you some sound clips if you’d like. I’m not a great player but if you suggest some genres you’d like to hear I’ll do my best. I have a custom 24-08 with 85/15’s I could compare against.

Thanks for that first hand info! That’s what I was hoping to hear. I totally love the feel of the new CE but am looking for a more vintage sounding pickup. That configuration might fit what I’m looking for perfectly. Really appreciate the response.

I just installed a set of 58/15LT's in my S2 Custom 24. Super happy with the install. They are very full sounding. As for output, I have an archon...extra gain and volume is only a twist away!

B

I just installed a set of 58/15LT's in my S2 Custom 24. Super happy with the install. They are very full sounding. As for output, I have an archon...extra gain and volume is only a twist away!

B
Nice! Where did you find a set of LTs?

When I made the OG post I didn’t like the sound of the 85/15 pickups from the videos and first time I played one in he store. The timing and finances never worked out for me to get the CE with 58/15LT pickups. When the timing was right I bought one with 85/15’s. I thought I was settling for the one with 85/15 pickups but was so ever wrong. I absolutely love them!

I don’t have experience with 58/15s in a CE, but I did put a neck 58/15 LT in my CU24 and it’s pretty awesome. I did have to have it super low in order to not be muddy though. Thank goodness rings now have recessed adjustment holes. A buddy of mine has them in a CU24 Semi Hollow and they are absolutely heavenly.

Back