CE22 didn’t have Dragon 1’s…am I missing something?

Exodus5

I just bought a 1994 CE22. It came with a set of Dimarzio PAF Masters installed. I find the bridge too harsh/shrill but the neck is cool. Would it be worth it to find an original set of Dragons and put those in instead? I have seen that some love these and some hate them, plus the prices are kind of insane on the sets I’ve seen.
If finding an original set is going to be a pain, can someone recommend a good set of pickups for straight ahead rock tones?

In my CU22 I love the McCarty set I have in there now.
I used to have a Dimarzio Tone Zone in the bridge ( 36th Anv neck ) and it was a great combo. Tone zone is hot but very warm.
Suhr Aldrich set , I have not heard a guitar they don't sound good in.

Nothing I've experimented with really sounds exactly like a Dragon 1 set. The neck is 8K alnico 4 PAF and the bridge is a 19K ceramic magnet pickup

My '00 CE22 came to me with a strange choice of aftermarket pickups. I removed them and put in a Duncan 59B as the neck pickup because at 8K it matches the DCR of the Dragon 1 neck pickup. I also put a roughcast Alnico 4 magnet in it since the Dragon 1 neck pickup uses alnico 4. The modified 59B sounds very similar.

The guitar had a JB for the bridge pickup but it was too bright. I replaced the polished Alnico 5 magnet with a roughcast Alnico 5 and liked that A LOT better.

That is a great set of ROCK pickups in a CE22 and I felt that I could play anything with that set that I could play with the Dragon 1 pickups in my '95 and '97 CE22's.

However, I now have Bare Knuckle Abraxas pickups in that guitar and although they don't remind me much of Dragon 1's, they're great. Check them out:

Here's my '00 CE22:

Last edited:
Someday I'd like to try the PRS 57/08 set in that '00 CE22.

Also the Alnico 2 Wolfetone Marshallhead set.

Two of my Bernie Marsdens have these pickups and they've become favorites.

But I haven't tried them in a CE22 with a vibrato.

Last edited:
The original Dragon pickups are awesome; however, I really do think that a set of Seymour Duncan '59 Model neck & Duncan Custom bridge pickups would be an almost identical match for that set. That SD neck pickup is sort of "vintage PAF AlNiCo," and that bridge pickup is "very strong rock & roll" which I find the essence of the Dragon pickups to be.

I say this because I have the original Dragon pickups in a Custom 22, as well as these Seymour Duncan pickups, which I just installed into an older SE Santana...

I just bought a 1994 CE22. It came with a set of Dimarzio PAF Masters installed. I find the bridge too harsh/shrill but the neck is cool. Would it be worth it to find an original set of Dragons and put those in instead? I have seen that some love these and some hate them, plus the prices are kind of insane on the sets I’ve seen.
If finding an original set is going to be a pain, can someone recommend a good set of pickups for straight ahead rock tones?
There is a culty following of the Dragon1 bridge. However, there are many good options for straight up rock tone. I for one would suggest high quality overwound PAFs for that application. The 5909 bridge will do an admirable job, 5708 will do too. You can also check out the Wolfetone Marshallhead if you want somwthing different, but any respectable PU winder has its own version, like Bare Knuckle, Seymour Duncan, even DiMarzio.

Last edited:
Some great advice above. I have no experience with Dragon pickups but I like the HFS/Vintage Bass combo in the CEs that I've owned.

My '95 CE22 maple top had Dragon I pickups and I liked the bridge pickup insanely. However, the neck was weak, indistinguishable and had no sustain. Maybe the magnet was too weak for some reason. I tried Seth lover neck and bridge, Duncan '59 neck and bridge and they didn't cut it. Anywhoo, I put a Duncan JB in the neck position with the Dragon I in the bridge and it sounded incredible. Volume balance was perfect for me. So, if it were my guitar, I'd track down a D I bridge pickup and a JB for the neck spot.

There are many pickup sets that will sound great in your CE, but for my guitar I would want it to be original. First because I love Dragon 1's. Second because I think that guitar deserves them.

I recently jumped in the Dragon I train when I picked up a new-to-me ‘97 CE 22 about a month back, and I have to admit that I’ve taken a seat in “Love ‘em” coach. The bridge pickup really drives an amp beautifully; it’s warm but retains enough articulation to keep things from getting muddy. And I love the neck pickup’s round, vowel-like voice, big and warm with plenty of breathy top end. And the “7” position (one back from the neck pickup) is gorgeous; in fact, I rather like all of the positions on the 5-way rotary with these pickups, which isn't something I can say of the HFS/Vintage Bass or the 57/08s that I've had with the 5-way rotary in other guitars. Are Dragons for everything? nah... but I love them for what they do; they rock!

Last edited:
The original Dragon pickups are awesome; however, I really do think that a set of Seymour Duncan '59 Model neck & Duncan Custom bridge pickups would be an almost identical match for that set. That SD neck pickup is sort of "vintage PAF AlNiCo," and that bridge pickup is "very strong rock & roll" which I find the essence of the Dragon pickups to be.

I say this because I have the original Dragon pickups in a Custom 22, as well as these Seymour Duncan pickups, which I just installed into an older SE Santana...

Let me also recommend... because I later thought of this one, too--the Suhr SSV/SSH+ set, also would be an extremely close surrogate to the Dragon I pickups. Would I rather have the original Dragon pickups in a real-deal PRS? Yes, I would. But if you can't, these Seymour Duncan or Suhr sets would get you 99% of the way there.

Let me also recommend... because I later thought of this one, too--the Suhr SSV/SSH+ set, also would be an extremely close surrogate to the Dragon I pickups. Would I rather have the original Dragon pickups in a real-deal PRS? Yes, I would. But if you can't, these Seymour Duncan or Suhr sets would get you 99% of the way there.
I had that Suhr set in my CE22 for several months. Loved them at first. Then after a while felt that they lacked something: Soul! They have a non-traditional sound and I got tired of it because it wasn't me.

I replaced them with a set of BKP Abraxas and they've proven to be keepers.

Back