Can this be fixed?

h-pr

At a recent gig, my SE Custom 22 got damaged and now has a dent with some of the clear coat gone (see images). I wonder if there is a way to fix this or at least make it look less conspicuous, or if there's nothing I can do about it.

lFQw3Zy.jpeg

arzX1LE.jpeg

About 15 years ago my son borrowed my CU22 Soapbar for a high school gig, and came home with a whopping dent just like that - his bass player's tuning key smacked into it.

Jack Gretz was able to make it nearly invisible. He steamed out the dent, matched the stain, and built up the finish, level with the original finish. So yes, it can be done.

About 15 years ago my son borrowed my CU22 Soapbar for a high school gig, and came home with a whopping dent just like that - his bass player's tuning key smacked into it.

Jack Gretz was able to make it nearly invisible. He steamed out the dent, matched the stain, and built up the finish, level with the original finish. So yes, it can be done.
Tell me about Jack Gretz...I have a few dents in my gigging S2 thx!

Yes , absolutley . It's a bit tedious . Super glue is available in different densities from Stew Mac. I suggest taping off with the green Frog tape as it has the best seal. It is better to do a few coats and build it up rather than blob it on , it insures better curing. Color matching the small grey area can be done with a thinned black dye on a q tip. Use wet/dry sand paper starting at 400 and ending with 3000 and your good to go .

Tell me about Jack Gretz...I have a few dents in my gigging S2 thx!
This was done before Jack opened his store, Northeast Music Center. I don't know if he's still doing finish repairs, but it might be worth contacting him. He's a very well known PRS and Mesa dealer in PA. He's the only vendor I deal with for guitars and amps. Great guy.

Well, a friend of a friend is a luthier, and I asked him what he could do. He said that he could even out the dent and fix the varnish, but to fix it totally, he would have to sand off a larger section of the veneer and re-paint it by hand, with no guarantee that it would look better. Probably not worth it for an SE.

He also said he suspected that the "maple" top might actually be birch because maple shouldn't dent this deeply without applying brutal force.

So the current status is as seen in the picture below. Depending on the light and the distance it's anything from barely noticeable to clearly visible. But at least the worst damage has been fixed, and it looks okayish again.

VMwCNLA.jpeg

Back