Band escapades

It’s so weird that this dynamic of male chauvinistic attitudes towards female guitar players still persist and exist. No offence to anyone here!! ❤️ I haven’t run into it very often but when I do. It’s a sh!t fest. I will not stand for that!! When they see me walk in with a PRS. They get jealous. I know this to be true. Some ppl don’t like it when you gave better equipment then them. I say grow up. 5 year old mentality.

One band that I was auditioning for really took me aback. I got there early and this guy asked me what I wanted. I said I am here to audition. For what he asked. Not too obvious Einstein is it? I had my guitar over my shoulder. Right in plain view. He tried his hardest to upstage me. I walked out.

It’s been an extremely interesting journey. I have met a lot of ppl. A lot of Aholes but a lot of genuinely nice ppl too.

It’s so weird that this dynamic of male chauvinistic attitudes towards female guitar players still persist and exist. No offence to anyone here!! ❤️ I haven’t run into it very often but when I do. It’s a sh!t fest. I will not stand for that!! When they see me walk in with a PRS. They get jealous. I know this to be true. Some ppl don’t like it when you gave better equipment then them. I say grow up. 5 year old mentality.

One band that I was auditioning for really took me aback. I got there early and this guy asked me what I wanted. I said I am here to audition. For what he asked. Not too obvious Einstein is it? I had my guitar over my shoulder. Right in plain view. He tried his hardest to upstage me. I walked out.

It’s been an extremely interesting journey. I have met a lot of ppl. A lot of Aholes but a lot of genuinely nice ppl too.
Dudes are awful.

I got hired as a fill in for an all female band, and it was ridiculous how dismissive and patronizing the male staff could be.

I’ve had soundmen ask me “what the girls need” on stage when they’ve been right f@cking there to ask more times than I remember.

Club owners and promoters whose entire previous communication with the bands was always with the female bandleader paying me at the end of the night… fahk… dude! I’m an employee! Pay her.

But.. stagehands are always nicer to them, same with bartenders, craft services were always a lil better, same with accommodations.

Eww they’re made of flesh?!?

Might have been an improvement. I should really have given it the benefit of the doubt as it did have “prototype” written on the back of the headstock.

I’m spoilt because my luthier friend makes great guitars and I see some interesting stuff go through his workshop.

It’s also crazy to see the repair/set up jobs that some guitarists do to their own instruments. If you don’t know what you’re doing and don’t have the skill, then leave it alone.

Some guys/girls are just douchés. It takes all sorts.

Never ceases to amaze me that musicians are supposed to be a liberal/accepting crowd and how conservative a lot of us are. I include myself in that, because I find I make snap judgements about things, but try to see both sides.

Might have been an improvement. I should really have given it the benefit of the doubt as it did have “prototype” written on the back of the headstock.

I’m spoilt because my luthier friend makes great guitars and I see some interesting stuff go through his workshop.

It’s also crazy to see the repair/set up jobs that some guitarists do to their own instruments. If you don’t know what you’re doing and don’t have the skill, then leave it alone.

Some guys/girls are just douchés. It takes all sorts.

Never ceases to amaze me that musicians are supposed to be a liberal/accepting crowd and how conservative a lot of us are. I include myself in that, because I find I make snap judgements about things, but try to see both sides.

I am very easy to get along with. I just have high standards and expectations. I know what I want in a band.

We had someone audition for this current band I am in at the beginning and he drove us crazy. His holier then thou personality drove us right to the deep edge. I texted him and in a vernice way said he wasn’t quite what we’re looking for and left it at that.

Why do ppl act like that?

Last edited:
I am very easy to get along with. I just have very high standards and expectations. I know what I want in a band.

I hate ppl who show off or try to upstage me. Period. I can’t and won’t say anymore. We’re supposed to be a group effort. Sometimes it just doesn’t go that way. Sometimes someone has to be a star regardless of everyone else.

We had someone audition for this current band I am in at the beginning and he drove us crazy. His holier then thou personality drove us right to the deep edge. I texted him and in a very nice way said he wasn’t quite what we’re looking for and left it at that.

Some people's egos are huge. One thing that I have run into, and it is really sad, is you find someone that is honestly very good and playing and singing and you really would like to be in a band with them. Then when you see them on stage for the first time, the ego is bigger than the room and they are super difficult to work with. At that moment you fully understand why they are not in a band even though they are really good at performing. Nobody can get along with them so they are constantly looking for a band. I have met a few guys like this down here.

I have also met guys that thought they were good and they were not. They had the ego but not the talent. You then get the reverse to the above happen. They latch on to you because they like what you do and they get really ticked when you don't want them to be in your band. I have had this one happen a couple of times.

In my youth I had the pleasure and great fortune of playing with some of the older "Grand Ole Opry" and Nashville country and western stars.
One of my favorite stories happened in the early 80s doing a short tour co-headlining with another similar act. That act had an all female band who wore brightly colored sequined skirts, jackets, hats and cowboy boots. we switched nights going on first and the last night of the tour we went on first.
Being young skinny boys we thought it would be funny to "borrow" the girls jackets and cowboy hats, they thought it was a grand idea as well!
There we were bringing up the artist dressed fancily in those bright cowboy hats and jackets, he started laughing so hard I didn't think he was ever going to be able to sing through the laughter.

Egos says it all. I am genuinely very humble. Egotistical ppl need not apply OR leave your ego at the door!

I have had at the other spectrum some ppl who were too good for the band. I think it’s happened twice to me. One singer came in and we were all losing our minds. This guy deserved to play with professionals and not us. He told me he was sick and tired of the “pressure” of performing so he told me he opted for something less intense. He didn’t stay though but what an incredible voice. Omg.

I am very easy to get along with. I just have very high standards and expectations. I know what I want in a band.

I hate ppl who show off or try to upstage me. Period. I can’t and won’t say anymore. We’re supposed to be a group effort. Sometimes it just doesn’t go that way. Sometimes someone has to be a star regardless of everyone else.

We had someone audition for this current band I am in at the beginning and he drove us crazy. His holier then thou personality drove us right to the deep edge. I texted him and in a very nice way said he wasn’t quite what we’re looking for and left it at that.

We kind of have the opposite going on between me and the other guitarist. I’d be happy for him to take all the solos, but he’s the same with me.

I’m just in it for the vibe and the fun. I’m just as happy playing percussion on certain songs, if there’s no guitar/horn part.

With some musicians I think it’s deep seated insecurity that is hidden underneath bravado. Also ignorance. If you can’t hear you’re playing a solo in the wrong key, then what the heck are you doing in a band?

I’m like you, the band has to be in the rehearsal room to rehearse. If you want to jam then set up a group to do that. If you’re gigging then learn the songs before and iron out any niggles during rehearsal.

I like it to be fun, but for it to be fun, people need to be comfortable and relaxed. Best way to do that? Learn your part.

Also listen to each other and keep eye contact, for any changes, endings etc.

These things are simple, but it’s amazing how lots of bands fall foul of this.

I am writing this down in stone. I think it’s time for something new. Maybe an all female band.
How does that phrase go? Birds . . . flock together! Something like that!! The world needs more female bands IMO, do it!!! Be wary of those "identifying" as female, their numbers are growing in this deep fake movement ;~))

Last edited:
How does that phrase go? Birds . . . flock together! Something like that!! The world needs more female bands IMO, do it!!! Be wary of those "identifying" as female, there numbers are growing in this deep fake movement ;~))

I think I am desperate for a new change. I just found an add for an all female band. I have nothing to lose and everything to gain!

Back