Artist Series with Tune o Matic?

Brad737

This space for rent...
Hello all,
I've read that PRS made some Artist 1s with stop tails. Are these the familiar one-piece units, or did they make some of them with the Gibson-style Tune o'matic? Any idea how many Artist 1s were built? Did most come with trems?
Thanks,
Brad

I've only ever seen Artist 1's with the usual stoptail but I'd be willing to bet there are a few out there with a TOM bridge. I saw an Artist 2 with a TOM and quilted amber top. Stunning guitar. Still haunts me.

I have to admit, I wish there were more core and SE models with a TOM style bridge. I A/B'ed some LP's against an SE245 not long ago, and actually preferred the acoustic tone of the LP's. I'm sure there are many factors at work there, but the bridge is certainly a big one. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of other things the 245 beat the LP's on (action, finish, neck shape and so on), but the LP's just had a more mellow tone and attack. My girlfriend even said she liked the unplugged LP's better. I broke up with her on the spot for saying so out loud, but her point remains...

I'm spending a few days at my parents' house over Labor Day. I wish I had my PRS book with me! I'll let you know what I find out.

Well, I bought the guitar. It appears to be all-original to my eyes, dings and all. Does anyone have an idea how many of these came with the TOM? This has the semi-hollow body, weighing 6.4 lbs. After a thorough cleaning and a setup, she plays and sounds great.

P1060397.jpg

P1060400.jpg

Brad....silly question, and my apologies...but, sure it's an A-1....not an Artist LE? What's the number on the back of the headstock? I would have sworn that it looks like the LE run of 300 (actually 301) with that tun-o-matic 2 piece bridge, instead of an Artist 1. It's a beaut, whichever it is.

Edit...although, in retrospect, the LE's mostly had the cedar tops, and I've never seen one in that color. But, I know of a few with Maple tops in interesting colors like yours. Great score!

Edit #2....see...it looks A LOT like this example of an LE being sold by Garrett Park as we speak....

Last edited:
No, its an Artist. It has #62 on the back of the headstock. I have a much better pic that I took, but haven't uploaded to phtobucket. Here's a crappy cell pic from the previous owner:

photo-3.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, it's a Wide-Fat neck. It's banged up a bit on the headstock and body, but the frets are in great shape, after I scraped the crud off and used steel wool on them. I gave the fretboard a very light sanding and a liberal dose of Fret Doctor. She plays and sounds fantastic now.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;21476 said:
Nah, that's an Artist 1. Way cool guitars, Brad. W/F neck???

Jealous!!! I can't imagine a better representation of that model with cool (a unusual) twist.

Back