Artist Guitars- PTC

Man, that guitar HAD to have spent time at the bottom of a lake -- after it was played hard for 20 years. I've never seen anything like it.

Sure hope you boys are up to date on your tetanus shots! :rofl:

It didn't have any of the tell tale signs of being in a flood, but my guess is that it has been stored in a humid location for a while.

It didn't have any of the tell tale signs of being in a flood, but my guess is that it has been stored in a humid location for a while.

No doubt. LOL

Middleton-place-swamp-sc2.jpg

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;45641 said:
No doubt. LOL

Middleton-place-swamp-sc2.jpg

Exactly my thoughts. The stick at the bottom-middle is attached to the case handle for easy access. ;) That thing was fed beer every night after a gig. Looks like Yeungling rust (some of it is probably in my stomach too).

From sweaty club to cold trailer and back to sweaty club..... and so on. I had to replace an old band members Duncan Invader on the road because the threaded tabs on the bottom of the pickups had rusted to nothing. BUT! there was a whole lot of stage blood involved.

I know that guitar will be just beautiful when you guys are done.

Andy Townsend, guitar tech for Dusty Waring from Between The Buried and Me stopped by the factory today. While he was here the PTC tweaked his #1 Custom 24

DusitieWaring_zpsc1213066.jpg

Last edited:
Dusite is THE MANNNNNNNNNNNN. Him and I nerded out when he switched from Ibanez to PRS - hes a huge gear nerd and loyal to the company.

He also riffs harder than most.

That Trem Routing is Factory. The Guitar is from 1991-1992. The Model of the Guitar was called a "Special". The Special was basically a Mahogany Body Standard with the Trem Routed for more range. The Guitar was marketed as the PRS "Metal" guitar as in Heavy Metal. It has HFS in read and Vintage Bass in neck. The Special's are kind of rare guitar, not only because they are from 22 Years ago, but because they only made them for a period of time. I have the old catalog from back then and when it said Metal Guitar, I had to buy that model.

Last edited:
That Trem Routing is Factory. The Guitar is from 1991-1992. The Model of the Guitar was called a "Special". The Special was basically a Mahogany Body Standard with the Trem Routed for more range. The Guitar was markedted as the PRS "Metal" guitar as in Heavy Metal. It has HFS in read and Vintage Bass in neck. The Special are kind of rare not only because they are from 22 Years ago, but because they only made them for a period of time. I have the old catalog from back then and when it said Metal Guitar, I had to buy that model.

Awesome story Steve and great to have you on the forum! Thats a really cool story - I think we need another "metal" Maryland Made PRS in the line up soon!

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;45637 said:
Man, that guitar HAD to have spent time at the bottom of a lake -- after it was played hard for 20 years. I've never seen anything like it.

Sure hope you boys are up to date on your tetanus shots! :rofl:

A little history on this beast. It is the "1st" PRS that I ever owned. I say "1st" because it is technically the 2nd. I had traded a Les Paul and Stratocaster to get this against my dad's wishes and 2 Shows later, a I knocked over my Guitar Stack at the end of our show freaking out and the top 4x12 Cab fell down behind and my Black PRS Special was laying on a case behind the stack and the cab broke the neck in half. OUCH! It couldn't be fixed so I finished it off by smashing it onstage. I kept the body as a memento.

I really loved the Guitar, even though I had only had it for a couple weeks. I went out the next day and bought a Duplicate of exactly the same guitar. A Black PRS Special. This guitar played a very important role in my career. I recorded our 1st 3 Records with this PRS. SuperNova, Willpower and Self-Titled. I also used this guitar on Temple of the Morning Star and In The Eyes of God. I cracked the headstock and broke off a tuner by accident during a tour on the In The Eyes Of God Album and decided I didn't want to take any chances with this guitar getting fully destroyed. It means the world to me, as it STARTED my career in Music. So, I kept it in the case (that was also Destroyed), for the last 14 Years and have not played it. I was getting ready to tour in March-April in the US and Mar-June in Europe and saw the Article on the PRS Site where Len and the boys took a Black PRS with a cracked headstock and made it look like new. So, I got hold of the guys at PRS and Len said he could bring her back to life. So, tomorrow she will be arriving by UPS and I can't wait to play that Guitar Again.

I have been overly fortunate to have been Endorsed by PRS since 1994. Throughout my career, I have met Paul a handful of times including at the Factory and have been Treated THE BEST by PRS. They have always been 100% behind me and hooked me up with both guitars and helping me keep them serviced. I don't mean to go overboard, but they really do make the Best Guitars on planet earth. They also are Artist supportive beyond belief. I am truly grateful for everything PRS has done for me. Thanks Len, Shawn, Winn and Paul. You guys are the best and truly great people.

Last edited:
A little history on this beast. It is the "1st" PRS that I ever owned. I say "1st" because it is technically the 2nd. I had traded a Les Paul and Stratocaster to get this against my dad's wishes and 2 Shows later, a I knocked over my Guitar Stack at the end of our show freaking out and the top 4x12 Cab fell down behind and my Black PRS Special was laying on a case behind the stack and the cab broke the neck in half. OUCH! It couldn't be fixed so I finished it off by smashing it onstage. I kept the body as a memento.

I really loved the Guitar, even though I had only had it for a couple weeks. I went out the next day and bought a Duplicate of exactly the same guitar. A Black PRS Special. This guitar played a very important role in my career. I recorded our 1st 3 Records with this PRS. SuperNova, Willpower and Self-Titled. I also used this guitar on Temple of the Morning Star and In The Eyes of God. I cracked the headstock and broke off a tuner by accident during a tour on the In The Eyes Of God Album and decided I didn't want to take any chances with this guitar getting fully destroyed. It means the world to me, as it STARTED my career in Music. So, I kept it in the case (that was also Destroyed), for the last 14 Years and have not played it. I was getting ready to tour in March-April in the US and Mar-June in Europe and saw the Article on the PRS Site where Len and the boys took a Black PRS with a cracked headstock and made it look like new. So, I got hold of the guys at PRS and Len said he could bring her back to life. So, tomorrow she will be arriving by UPS and I can't wait to play that Guitar Again.

I have been overly fortunate to have been Endorsed by PRS since 1994. Throughout my career, I have met Paul a handful of times including at the Factory and have been Treated THE BEST by PRS. They have always been 100% behind me and hooked me up with both guitars and helping me keep them serviced. I don't mean to go overboard, but they really do make the Best Guitars on planet earth. They also are Artist supportive beyond belief. I am truly grateful for everything PRS has done for me. Thanks Len, Shawn, Winn and Paul. You guys are the best and truly great people.

There ya go, straight from the horses mouth. Thanks for the stories Steve!

Back